Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a rear license plate frame that will provide for mounting the plate and providing cushion and protection so that it does not scratch the paint nor allow the plate to rattle when going over roads, closing the hatch, etc. Yet another instance where Honda has scrimped to save a buck and compromised things in the process. Sure, I could put some pieces of foam/weatherstripping on the back of the plate, but I'd like to have something a little more polished.

TIA for any suggestions ...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I'm looking for a rear license plate frame that will provide for mounting the plate and providing cushion and protection so that it does not scratch the paint nor allow the plate to rattle when going over roads, closing the hatch, etc. Yet another instance where Honda has scrimped to save a buck and compromised things in the process. Sure, I could put some pieces of foam/weatherstripping on the back of the plate, but I'd like to have something a little more polished.

I have the Honda power of dreams plate frames
But i put a piece of foam behind plate (on all our cars) to minimize any rattles

https://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/5001.html

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

While my prior CRV had issues with metal on metal rattling on the rear plate.. I can honestly say I have had no such issue with my 2017.

If I did have a concern, I would do what I did with my 08 CRV.... I added a couple of nylon washers behind the plate to space it off the metal on the lift gate by an extra couple tenths of an inch and also made sure all 4 fastener screws were properly torqued into the nylon threaded fasteners attached to the lift gate that hold the license plate.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just make sure your state allows having frame on license plate.
In MA, it is illegal even though it is not really enforced.
I have been driving in MA for 25 years with the frame on until one day when I brought my Prelude in for state inspection and the guy just removed and threw it away.
When I asked why, he explained that it is illegal to have it on, especially when it covered a small part of the number on the upper right corner. I didn't believe him and thought he was just giving me hard time. I searched it up and indeed, it is illegal.
I know if I have a frame on, I would probably not ever got stopped for that but between 99.99% safe vs 100% safe, I choose the latter.
Along with "hanging things on the rearview mirror", these rules are not very strictly enforced but one out of a blue moon, ones might get a ticket for that.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I would have had a nice talk about him taking something off my car and throwing it away. Take it off and giving it to me I'd be ok with.
I very much agree. That said.... it is likely the state wants them to confiscate the frames rather then return them to the driver. Why? Because some drivers will just put the frame back on when they leave the inspection. Then again.. and informed driver would remove the frame before the inspection and then restore it too. :)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I haven't had any problems with rattling, but if you are feeling paranoid, I'd go with just putting some nylon washers behind and in front of the plate. Then you don't have to worry about any legal hassles.

·
Super Moderator
3,274 Posts
I'm in Mass and the last two cars we bought both had number plate frames.
The Honda dealer used a black frame on a OSB CRV but the same chains Volvo dealer used a white frame on the same navy blue car.
White looks awful.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would have had a nice talk about him taking something off my car and throwing it away. Take it off and giving it to me I'd be ok with.
That was the reason I had a heated conversation with him as I thought he was messing around.
He said he would have failed my inspection if I forced him to put the frame back on which I didn't but I did in fact take the frame back with me. I never put it back on though (after realizing it was/is illegal). I felt bad for the guy that I was the one who gave him hard time :(
Note: it was not my own frame but the dealer's pre-installed frame. Maybe it was a reason he didn't think it was all important to me and decided to throw it away (before asking me)

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0113B0POU/ref=twister_B01C6H720U?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 Note: comes with a set of SS hw attachments that partialy justifies hit higher price. And the frame itself is higher quality then the typical auto parts store.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYZSEAW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 If you want front bumper protection too. It is def not wimpy looking.

Both don't intrude into the sticker area as much as a typical frame.
I got the black matte Christensen and Nielsen ones. They come with a lifetime warranty and look fantastic and subtle, which is what I want. I also needed something to stand up to salt. We have them front and back on two cars. The screw kit is also quite thorough.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
I got the black matte Christensen and Nielsen ones. They come with a lifetime warranty and look fantastic and subtle, which is what I want. I also needed something to stand up to salt. We have them front and back on two cars. The screw kit is also quite thorough.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Yeah, def better then Carmax or some awful dealer's advertisement frame. LOL

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts