Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the market for a used CRV for a few months. Found a 2009 CRV LX with 67,000 miles. Car still runs smooth and quiet. Dealer offered $1800 for extended powertrain warranty 3 years or 125,000 miles. Would it be wise to buy the warranty or not? Knowing Hondas are reliable should I consider the warranty for added peace of mind just in case anything happens. Your advice will be greately appreciated.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I never buy extended warranties, but if if you feel you need the peace of mind, do it. Just remember to read the fine print. There are many items that are not covered. And, you have already spent $1800 even if you have zero problems. Your decision.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I never buy xtended warranties either, and I'm an old guy, however, I did this time, but it was $1200, and direct from Honda on my 2013. Transferable too and financed with the loan.

There are lots of exclusions with it when you read the fine print, and you MUST do the scheduled maintenance. Last time I bought a $30k car, I wished I had the extended warranty and that's why I bought it. I would prolly still have that other car if I had the warranty.

Used car? No way I'd buy an extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
If it's Just a powertrain warranty, your wasting your money.

If it's bumper to bumper, you may get some value out of it, but like everyone say's:Read the fine print!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought the 2013 EX-L and the 8yr/120,000 mile extended bumper-to-bumper with $0 deductible was around $2500. I have 30 days to cancel and get a refund.

Still thinking if this is worth it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
This has been hashed out so many times already; if use search the forum you'll get tons of opinions on this issue. There's a reason Consumer Reports recommends against extended warranties, which happens to be the exact same reason dealers push them. If the typical purchaser came out ahead on the deal, they wouldn't even be sold.

The other thing I'll throw in: first, subtract the overlapping mileage/years of your factory bumper-bumper, powertrain, rust, emissions, etc. warranties, and any applicable (USA) Federal and State emissions warranties, and what you're left with is the actual coverage period you've bought. The dealers mislead you into thinking you're buying coverage BEYOND those other warranties -- you're not, they overlap; so you're in part paying for coverages you already get for free.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I just bought the 2013 EX-L and the 8yr/120,000 mile extended bumper-to-bumper with $0 deductible was around $2500. I have 30 days to cancel and get a refund.

Still thinking if this is worth it.
Cancel that warranty and buy a discounted Honda warranty and pay no sales tax.
I bought a discounted Honda warranty from Saccucci Honda.I like the peace of mind having the warranty.
You'll get that same 8/120 for probably for about half that $2500+ sales tax.
Call or Email for a cost number.

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/vs...=31&plan_typeID=1&commercial=no&Submit=Submit

·
Registered
844 Posts
I just read online that you can't buy a warranty out of state when you live in FL but you can cancel the warranty.
I would at that crazy number.
Maybe that dealer will lower the cost if you try to cancel.They're probably making around $1400 profit on that $2500 number.
In a search, I saw an 8/120 cost in 6/11 was $1210.Add maybe $100-$150 to that number today.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wish I would have bought an extended warranty on my 2006 Odyssey. The wanted $800 for the DVD player head after it wore out and after talking to them they paid for half. I wore it out, too, and then just used an iPod hooked into the entertainment system. The kids watched a lot of DVDs, obviously. There were some other things that would have been covered under a warranty that I paid for out of pocket.

I purchased an extended warranty on my 2013 and expect to save more than it cost at some point.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I bet you the DVD wouldn't be covered under such extended warranty, and if you got Honda to pay half, then good on your part!

Read the fine print!*****

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The car already came with limited powertrain warranty 3 years or 125,000 miles at no additonal cost, but the catch is that it's not 100% covered, dealer pays half and I pay half the cost of any repairs to the engine or tranny. The extended warranty they want me to buy is what already came with the puchase just that I am now covered 100% with powertrain repairs. Should I just keep the warranty covering 50/50 that came with the purchase or buy extended warranty to cover the same thing, but at 100%?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.