Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I recently purchased a 2011 CR-V SE and am interested in doing some upgrades. I will mention that I won't be installing these myself. I will either have my personal mechanic or another professional do the installation; I don't trust myself to do it!

I need recs for head units that are compatible with backup cameras. I've looked myself, but the choices are super overwhelming, over-priced, bad quality/poorly reviewed, or just flat-out expensive. The car has over 130k miles on it and I don't want to sink a ton of money into the replacement and addition.

Please and thank you!

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
2,466 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Cas6290! I am moving your post to the Mobile Electronics area where folks will be able to assist.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,654 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Go look at crutchfield.com. The site will show you a ton of options for head units, cameras, etc. in all price ranges. While it's true that you will get what you pay for, there are many good lower priced options to choose from. There's a lot of helpful info and lots to learn there as well. There are also lots of installs documented in this section you can read.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last year my original head unit developed a fault causing the battery to drain. The Honda dealer disconnected the phone element to get me by, but I then replaced it with a Kenwood DMX8019DABS.

I chose this unit because of the capacitive screen which I preferred to the resistive screen on other units I tried. It also has Wi-Fi, meaning that I don't have to physically connect my Samsung S10e phone with a cable in order to use Android Auto, which is great for shorter journeys. The installer was able to connect the rear camera without changing it. I decided to add a Kenwood Dashcam at the same time - so I have front and back, although only the front records of course. Most of the hands free steering wheel controls are working, just the telephone ones are inert. For that I can tap the microphone on the screen and speak.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hello all!

I recently purchased a 2011 CR-V SE and am interested in doing some upgrades. I will mention that I won't be installing these myself. I will either have my personal mechanic or another professional do the installation; I don't trust myself to do it!

I need recs for head units that are compatible with backup cameras. I've looked myself, but the choices are super overwhelming, over-priced, bad quality/poorly reviewed, or just flat-out expensive. The car has over 130k miles on it and I don't want to sink a ton of money into the replacement and addition.

Please and thank you!
Do check into Crutchfield. They are a good resource for reviews, descriptions and customer service/tech support. Of course, there are other online dealers that also have good reps.

I just replaced my radio in my 2012 EXL. I chose the Pioneer DMH-2660 NEX. There were two others I had as alternatives; the Sony XAV-AX5500 and the Alpine ILX-W650. I kept vasillating among the three, as they all presented the best for my preferences. But, I kept coming back to the Pioneer. And, one of the main reasons was the HD radio, as it has added extra choices.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do check into Crutchfield. They are a good resource for reviews, descriptions and customer service/tech support. Of course, there are other online dealers that also have good reps.

I just replaced my radio in my 2012 EXL. I chose the Pioneer DMH-2660 NEX. There were two others I had as alternatives; the Sony XAV-AX5500 and the Alpine ILX-W650. I kept vasillating among the three, as they all presented the best for my preferences. But, I kept coming back to the Pioneer. And, one of the main reasons was the HD radio, as it has added extra choices.

Good luck.
Hi,

I'm about to do exactly what you did. I also have a silver 2012 EXL (no navi) and I am going to replace my radio with a Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX from Crutchfield. In my case its mainly to get Android Auto and GPS through that.

I have a couple quick questions if you don't mind?

- with the Crutchfield harness, does the Pioneer NEX drive all 7 speakers in the CRV (4 front, 2 back and subwoofer)?
- if you've tried it, how is the NEX for Android Auto or Apple Car play?
- does it sound pretty good with the stock CRV speakers?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi,

I'm about to do exactly what you did. I also have a silver 2012 EXL (no navi) and I am going to replace my radio with a Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX from Crutchfield. In my case its mainly to get Android Auto and GPS through that.

I have a couple quick questions if you don't mind?

- with the Crutchfield harness, does the Pioneer NEX drive all 7 speakers in the CRV (4 front, 2 back and subwoofer)?
- if you've tried it, how is the NEX for Android Auto or Apple Car play?
- does it sound pretty good with the stock CRV speakers?

Thanks in advance.
I did a not-so-brief write up of my exploits here:

The Crutchfield harness (actually its a Metra harness) and my version of the NEX will drive all the speakers. But, you have to modify the subwoofer RCA connector, which is not correctly described in the Crutchfield WireGuide. And, there are some other wiring you will have to perform directly to the Honda harness to get everything hooked up. Since yours is the "no-nav" you may have an easier time.

The stock speakers sound good to me. But, I still may upgrade later. Android Auto operates just fine and provides the GPS via Google maps (or Waze). The DMH 2660 has very fast screen response - I don't know if the 4500 is the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did a not-so-brief write up of my exploits here:

The Crutchfield harness (actually its a Metra harness) and my version of the NEX will drive all the speakers. But, you have to modify the subwoofer RCA connector, which is not correctly described in the Crutchfield WireGuide. And, there are some other wiring you will have to perform directly to the Honda harness to get everything hooked up. Since yours is the "no-nav" you may have an easier time.

The stock speakers sound good to me. But, I still may upgrade later. Android Auto operates just fine and provides the GPS via Google maps (or Waze). The DMH 2660 has very fast screen response - I don't know if the 4500 is the same.
Wow, nice. Looks like there are quite a few good tips in there that might save some time. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts