Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve always used a fuel injector/fuel system cleaner on my HONDAs. Curious if it can be used with the 1.5 Turbo....and any recommended ones that folks have had success with? And, do I need to use the funnel to pour it in the tank since it’s now capless...

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I agree with BoostedV.

The 1.5T is a very efficient and clean engine (civic owners keep expecting to break them open and find carbon deposits on the valves and associated internal parts.. and are finding literally nothing worth the effort).

Plus... I'm not sure that fuel injector additives do any good, or are even safe, for the high pressure direct injection systems in these newer engines. I don't the opposite either.. but I am of the view of not trying to fix something that is not broken.

Put good quality tier 1 fuels in when you fill up.. and be done with it in my view.

If you do decide to use one, be sure and use the special filler funnel Honda ships with every capless Honda..... just to be sure you don't end up with an issue on your hands. Honda very specifically states in the owners manual to never put anything into the fuel port except a pump nozzle at a gas station OR the special fuel funnel. Better prudent, rather then regretful after the fact.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I use a bottle of Chevron Techron twice a year in my 2014 CR-V.
I did a bit of web searching about using Techron in a turbo engine, and every response I found was that it will work fine.
And Honda does make clean running engines, they are not perfectly clean.

And running higher octane fuel will not "clean" the engine, as long as your normal gasoline is from a Top Tier seller, which does include Shell. All Top Tier gasolines have their own additives, and Chevron gasoline includes Techron.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I’ve always used a fuel injector/fuel system cleaner on my HONDAs. Curious if it can be used with the 1.5 Turbo....and any recommended ones that folks have had success with? And, do I need to use the funnel to pour it in the tank since it’s now capless...
How do you measure success?

I use one every 15 thousand miles or so. Have no idea if it's helping but I'm fairly confident that it's not hurting anything. Depending on which one you go with, you either need a funnel or you get one with a narrow neck bottle that you can open the capless cap with.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
when i use Techron i always add it on the last fill up before an oil change,anything cleaned will go out with the old oil,,

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I personally wouldn’t if you’re running 87 as directed maybe a full tank of shell v high octane every 5/6 tank would give same results imo
I believe that the highest octane premium will actually ADD to the deposits in your engine (the one specified for 87 at sea level) and also add about 50 cents a gal: it is just a waste.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
It's my understanding premium burns slower. Presuming that's the case, premium gas ADDing deposits makes sense.?‍♂ Around here, premium adds $0.70 per gal. No thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts