Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm planning on doing some light off roading in my 2006 CRV. I'll being doing some trails and maybe some sand. I know the CRV isn't a serious 4wd and I will drive within its limitations. I'll be fitting some larger diameter tyres to increase ground clearance by 20mm. In the event that I do get stuck and I need to be towed or snatched out, what have other folk done who have got stuck? I assume that the two standard loops at the front of the vehicle are tie downs for transport and are not suitable for recovery. Is this correct?

I'd like to fit 2 rated recovery points at the front. Has anyone done this? If so, where and how did you fit them? I plan to use a bridle to share the load across the 2 points. At the rear, I'll be using a 1500kg (3300lbs) rated tow bar/hitch for rear recovery.

Thoughts welcome. Cheers

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hi folks,
I'm planning on doing some light off roading in my 2006 CRV. I'll being doing some trails and maybe some sand. I know the CRV isn't a serious 4wd and I will drive within its limitations. I'll be fitting some larger diameter tyres to increase ground clearance by 20mm. In the event that I do get stuck and I need to be towed or snatched out, what have other folk done who have got stuck? I assume that the two standard loops at the front of the vehicle are tie downs for transport and are not suitable for recovery. Is this correct?
I'd like to fit 2 rated recovery points at the front. Has anyone done this? If so, where and how did you fit them? I plan to use a bridle to share the load across the 2 points. At the rear, I'll be using a 1500kg (3300lbs) rated tow bar/hitch for rear recovery.
Thoughts welcome. Cheers
The front tie down loops should be fine for recovery. They are welded directly to the front frame clip. Your idea of getting across both front loops is a good one and it's what I have done myself. I have a 3/8" steel cable that I pass through the end loop of a 4" tow strap and attach to both tie down loops. That way I load both loops as evenly as possible, no matter what angle the tow strap is at. I have used the set up several times without any issues. On one occasion I took about a 20 foot run to snatch a car off the top of an icy snow bank. It jerked me around as badly as the car I was trying to recover but I had no equipment problems.

I have seen a YouTube video of a loop being pulled off of a V but the front bumper of the V was pushing sand and they used only one loop. They were asking for trouble on several different levels.

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/t1424/

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tie down loops must strong if you took a 20 foot run up. I shudder to think what could happen if one of the loops let go and became a projectile. I've heard some scary stories of car damage, injury and a couple of deaths. To be sure, I'll also ask my local 4wd shop what they think. I've heard that 4wd drive clubs will only let you join them on outings if the recovery points are rated (typically 10,000lbs) max load.

Here is an interesting training video on recovery technique.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts