Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the Amazon reviews for OBD2 scanners. It seems like a number of them don't have updated databases that support newer vehicles - or have poor reliability or use issues. I'd like to get a reliable, flexible unit that allows for live data and storage for review after I'm done driving - and that can be depended on for regular database updates (and obviously supports the newer CR-Vs). Any recommendations?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't think you will find what you want in a scanner (unless you spend big $$$).
What you want is a reliable BT adapter and a good phone/tablet app that can give you graphing capabilities.
The ideal app would have the capability to add new commands as needed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That's one I've had my eye on too. I just haven't had time to research more.
If you look at the reviews and the q&a's and can't find any specific reference to things like coolant temps or cvt temps in recent Hondas, it would be a good idea to message Lemur and ask directly about updates.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Been using using Linear Logic ScanGauge products since about 2005. Very satisfied, never had an issue. Currently have it in the CRV displaying boost (BST) , tranny fluid temp (TFT), engine coolant temp (CT1) and radiator cold tank temp (CT2).

fullsizeoutput_34.jpg

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
crv383, which one? There seem to be a few on Amazon.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
ScanGauge II.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've also been using the SG II since around '05.
But, around '08 I had to pay $25 to update it after Honda had switched over to CAN Buss.
After I found out the '17 CRV had changed coolant temp and CVT temp commands, I had it updated again (4.50). This time it was free.
Now I see there are updates 4.51 and 4.52. One of the 4.52 changes is 'Improved XGauge functionality for Honda / Acura', but I don't know the particulars.
That's one of the drawbacks with SG II. Updates. Can't be done without sending it in because of the interface.
The other is lack of storage/display of data that I would like to monitor.

Here's a shot at 52f outside temp.
20181220_181310 (Medium).jpg

Temps are in F. You can also set it display in C. LF1 is LTFT at -10%.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, thanks CAJack42. I wonder if there's an OBD device that is as good with updates but where it can be done by the user.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That's where a good BT module in conjunction with a quality phone/tablet app really shines.
Remember, the BT module is just passing signals back and forth. It relies on the app to be up-to-date and do the work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts