Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
UK 2019 Honda CR-V hybrid EX iMMD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m relatively new to the CR-V forum but, in the short time I have been here, I think I’ve noticed a bit of a decline in the quality of conversations. As a long-standing Honda owner, I’m genuinely surprised by that, because in all my other dealings with Honda owners I’ve generally found them to be an enthusiastic, intelligent, thoughtful, mild-mannered and sometimes very knowledgeable bunch.

This CR-V forum seems to be dominated by north Americans (it’s an important market for Honda) and, rather too often, the tone seems to be angry, aggressive or just ill-informed and ignorant. Examples include:
  • People who can't achieve 25mpg in a CR-V hybrid (the model that I happen to have) and immediately blame everything apart from the fact that they live up a mountain at minus 20degC and are evidently disinterested in learning how their car works or how to drive efficiently.
  • Long, opinionated and ill-informed “technical” monologues, incorrectly explaining how the Continuously Variable Transmission works on a CR-V hybrid (the Hybrid does not have a CVT), or how use its “paddle shifters” (the hybrid doesn’t have those either).
  • New owners who bought their car having done little research, and who have seemingly come to the forum solely to demolish every feature of their CR-V, as a way of justifying their mistake and preserving their own self-belief. If you really don’t like CR-Vs, then I’m not sure that screeching angrily at other owners is going to help!
================​

In contrast, other forums that I’m on (classic Alfa Romeo, Honda CR-Z, Honda Insight) are notable for their much more empathetic and respectful tone, and for having a higher proportion of contributors with a real depth of knowledge and expertise that they offer freely and generously - presumably out of a selfless desire to assist others.

At best, a car forum is a place for like-minded people to chat, enthuse, learn, laugh, and to help each other where we can. On a good day, the CR-V forum undoubtedly achieves that - but maybe too often it seems to struggle.

So it’s down to each of us to play our part, to improve the tone and quality of our discussions, and to help ensure the forum feels like a good place to be.

Of course, you are most welcome to disagree with me. All I ask is that you try to do so respectfully, thoughtfully, intelligently – and preferably without screeching and ranting! :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I agree with you I have been a member for over a year after I placed my order for my CRV
I have found this forum a great help and most of the members have been very helpful
But just lately it seems to used by a few to cause as much trouble as than can
If you have bought a car you don't like sell it and move on eslewhere
All cars have things you don't like I am happy with mine it has things I don't like but I did now about them before I bought mine

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,699 Posts
New owners who bought their car having done little research, and who have seemingly come to the forum solely to demolish every feature of their CR-V, as a way of justifying their mistake and preserving their own self-belief. If you really don’t like CR-Vs, then I’m not sure that screeching angrily at other owners is going to help!
You have written a fabulous post - nothing to disagree with at all :)

Lately, there has been a welcome influx of many Hybrid, in particular - and of course, thats where many discussions seem to have negative overtures recently.

Critique is fine if justified. I know in one particular thread, a recent Hybrid owner has been asked more than once if they had a test drive before buying and no response has been forthcoming to that.

So like you say, its hard for others to help when information isnt proffered.

Other sections (Gen 1-4, and even Gen 5) seem to be operating just fine. But all it takes is one chain of bad discussion to label everything bad - inherently, I see a LOT of great stuff on this site - US-bias aside.

All I would say @Alfettaman is not to let the recent spate of Hybrid-related negativity push the view that the entire site is tarnished. Far from it.

But I do agree that it would help if those that join up to whine about the CR-V due to their own failure in not doing research prior to buying, be humble enough to admit their own failings before lambasting the car. End of the day, people choose the car, not the other way around - and some of the recent members to this site, particularly in Hybrid-land would do well to remember that, otherwise the help you seek simply wont arrive from forum members if all you do is project negativity and rant.

And if you are reading this - you know who you are.

😎

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have written a fabulous post - nothing to disagree with at all :)
All I would say @Alfettaman is not to let the recent spate of Hybrid-related negativity push the view that the entire site is tarnished. Far from it.
😎
Thank you, and I agree with you entirely: my view of the forum is (of course) solely from the perspective of a CR-V hybrid owner, so it is quite possible that I have witnessed a disproportionate amount of negativity/ranting compared to some other groups of forum users!

Indeed my brief forays into other (non-hybrid) sections would seem to support your observation: the vast majority of conversations on the site are well-mannered, rational, respectful and thought-provoking. I guess that's what makes the relatively small proportion of ranty/angry stuff look even more out of place and disappointing.

I like and value this forum, so I want to see it continue to develop and improve. One way to do that is for each of us to spend a moment reflecting on our own attitude and tone, and the way that we choose to use the site...

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
There's another issue. Every forum has their demographic who go through life trying to win an argument. It's not just opposing POV or correcting someone else's mistake, it's coming up with ridiculous **** from their own baggage of misinformation and go balls out defending it.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,699 Posts
it is quite possible that I have witnessed a disproportionate amount of negativity/ranting compared to some other groups of forum users!
Its only been recent that some newer members with Hybrids are complaining, often without due care or consideration. I have sent you a private message too.

Indeed my brief forays into other (non-hybrid) sections would seem to support your observation: the vast majority of conversations on the site are well-mannered, rational, respectful and thought-provoking.
Excellent 👌

There's another issue. Every forum has their demographic who go through life trying to win an argument. It's not just opposing POV or correcting someone else's mistake, it's coming up with ridiculous **** from their own baggage of misinformation and go balls out defending it.
Salient observation - and this is particularly true of some, not all, Hybrid members who are upset at fuel economy/performance et al. It need not be that way. The Hybrid section is actually awash with many details about how to get the best out of the car, especially as its a new type. Hopefully more Hybrid owners will use the search function to locate it - there arent that many threads so info is very easily found in the Hybrid section 👍

Reactions: Alfettaman and mrtn

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree. It seems that a small minority are prepared to make themselves look ridiculous, ignorant and opinionated - rather than simply saying "Sorry - I was wrong!" or "I never really understood that - thank you for explaining". If we can accept that each of us has a unique set of knowledge, experience and perspectives, then we'll be able to welcome each other's help and advice, rather than feeling threatened by it.

There's a curious irony here: people who just try to look clever, rarely learn. And people who are keen to learn, usually look clever...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’m relatively new to the CR-V forum but, in the short time I have been here, I think I’ve noticed a bit of a decline in the quality of conversations. As a long-standing Honda owner, I’m genuinely surprised by that, because in all my other dealings with Honda owners I’ve generally found them to be an enthusiastic, intelligent, thoughtful, mild-mannered and sometimes very knowledgeable bunch.

This CR-V forum seems to be dominated by north Americans (it’s an important market for Honda) and, rather too often, the tone seems to be angry, aggressive or just ill-informed and ignorant. Examples include:
  • People who can't achieve 25mpg in a CR-V hybrid (the model that I happen to have) and immediately blame everything apart from the fact that they live up a mountain at minus 20degC and are evidently disinterested in learning how their car works or how to drive efficiently.
  • Long, opinionated and ill-informed “technical” monologues, incorrectly explaining how the Continuously Variable Transmission works on a CR-V hybrid (the Hybrid does not have a CVT), or how use its “paddle shifters” (the hybrid doesn’t have those either).
  • New owners who bought their car having done little research, and who have seemingly come to the forum solely to demolish every feature of their CR-V, as a way of justifying their mistake and preserving their own self-belief. If you really don’t like CR-Vs, then I’m not sure that screeching angrily at other owners is going to help!
================​

In contrast, other forums that I’m on (classic Alfa Romeo, Honda CR-Z, Honda Insight) are notable for their much more empathetic and respectful tone, and for having a higher proportion of contributors with a real depth of knowledge and expertise that they offer freely and generously - presumably out of a selfless desire to assist others.

At best, a car forum is a place for like-minded people to chat, enthuse, learn, laugh, and to help each other where we can. On a good day, the CR-V forum undoubtedly achieves that - but maybe too often it seems to struggle.

So it’s down to each of us to play our part, to improve the tone and quality of our discussions, and to help ensure the forum feels like a good place to be.

Of course, you are most welcome to disagree with me. All I ask is that you try to do so respectfully, thoughtfully, intelligently – and preferably without screeching and ranting! :)
There is rudeness, arrogance etc. coming from your side of the pond as well...don't kid yourself!!! FYI - I like my CR-V

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,699 Posts
There is rudeness, arrogance etc. coming from your side of the pond as well...don't kid yourself!!! FYI - I like my CR-V
I dont think @Alfettaman was singling anyone out specifically - rather, highlighting the recent negative remarks re the CR-V Hybrid from new owners etc.

Afterall, this is a global forum - thats how I like to see it.

👍

Reactions: Alfettaman

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,468 Posts

================​

I agree generally
Ive been on forums since 1999 and this one is by far near the bottom.

people posting youtube clips instead of answering, threads getting moved into oblivion etc

on the flipside the crv is a mega seller so there are tons of people who buy google an issue and post here or reddit then never come back.

so while your other forums were smaller brand niche vehicles the crv isnt the modding one

also its mostly us because well we buy more of them

look at civicx in terms of volume but u have type r down to base trims discussing mpg, mods, ktuner, wheels n suspension
The crv has limited aftermarket, not many people doing anything to them but driving n complaining about mpg or dead batteries.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,007 Posts
As I write: 20 post later. Forums are never going to be your way, Please to all learn how to use the Quote, reply, and the Forum, if you are going comment be on your best behavior, this is the WWW World wide web. not a North America Site. that said we the staff thank you

Reactions: dntboles

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
There does seem to be a new and boorish corner of the hybrid section. As others have already commented, the behavior doesn’t really seem to be common across the entire CR-V forum. It often seems to come from new CR-V Hybrid owners who didn’t bother to learn about the vehicle before purchase and don’t wish to learn afterward.

I’ve found the “Ignore” feature to be quite useful — click on a member and select “Ignore” on their profile page. The site magically returns to the one I joined 10 months ago.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,462 Posts
You make some good points. A good thing to think about before any post: Is this going to help someone, or it it just expressing my opinion?
I have been absolutely thrilled with my hybrid, it's lived up to all my expectations, which were tempered by research before buying it.
Funny, I do live at 6200 feet, and -20C is common, but I understand the implications of both.
(I do get some of that potential energy back if I drive down to the "Mile High City")
Your point about the hybrid not having a CVT is certainly correct, but someone needs to explain it to Honda, whose ads still say it has an
"eCVT", which doesn't clear up the confusion for many.
I also found the dealers (at least the three I talked to) are not well informed about how the hybrid works. I wound up explaining some things to them.
It's certainly not surprising this forum is dominated by North Americans, it's the largest market for the CR-V.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You make some good points. A good thing to think about before any post: Is this going to help someone, or it it just expressing my opinion?
I have been absolutely thrilled with my hybrid, it's lived up to all my expectations, which were tempered by research before buying it.
Funny, I do live at 6200 feet, and -20C is common, but I understand the implications of both.
(I do get some of that potential energy back if I drive down to the "Mile High City")
Your point about the hybrid not having a CVT is certainly correct, but someone needs to explain it to Honda, whose ads still say it has an
"eCVT", which doesn't clear up the confusion for many.
I also found the dealers (at least the three I talked to) are not well informed about how the hybrid works. I wound up explaining some things to them.
It's certainly not surprising this forum is dominated by North Americans, it's the largest market for the CR-V.
Your 'is this going to help anyone?' question is a great one.

Like you, I am delighted with my hybrid, but I sometimes feel that I don't recognise it as quite the same car that I read about on this forum: slow, noisy, dreadful mpg, parasitic battery drain, etc. Did I get the only good one that Honda made? Maybe part of the issue is that people are most likely to go onto car forums when there's a problem, but are much less likely to post that their car has been faultless for a whole year, or that they've just had a great drive in it.

Apparently, the eCVT label is a marketing thing. My dealer told me that the CVT concept is increasingly (kind of) understood by a lot of motorists, but Honda thought that the 'direct drive' (from either electric or Atkinson motor) was too novel and alien for most to grasp easily - so they stuck with the 'eCVT' label. It does at least differentiate it from a manual/stick shift, and also from a conventional automatic - even if it fails to describes how the drive system actually works!

When the dealer was handing my new CR-V hybrid over to me, they pointed at a filler cap under the bonnet and said "That's for the engine coolant". I replied, "No, it's the inverter coolant: this one over here is for the engine coolant". Their response? "What's an inverter...?" :)

Sounds like we've both had to tell our dealer how some of it works!

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’ve found the “Ignore” feature to be quite useful — click on a member and select “Ignore” on their profile page. The site magically returns to the one I joined 10 months ago.
That's a really neat feature that I didn't know about - thank you! 👍

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,462 Posts
Your 'is this going to help anyone?' question is a great one.

Like you, I am delighted with my hybrid, but I sometimes feel that I don't recognise it as quite the same car that I read about on this forum: slow, noisy, dreadful mpg, parasitic battery drain, etc. Did I get the only good one that Honda made? Maybe part of the issue is that people are most likely to go onto car forums when there's a problem, but are much less likely to post that their car has been faultless for a whole year, or that they've just had a great drive in it.

Apparently, the eCVT label is a marketing thing. My dealer told me that the CVT concept is increasingly (kind of) understood by a lot of motorists, but Honda thought that the 'direct drive' (from either electric or Atkinson motor) was too novel and alien for most to grasp easily - so they stuck with the 'eCVT' label. It does at least differentiate it from a manual/stick shift, and also from a conventional automatic - even if it fails to describes how the drive system actually works!

When the dealer was handing my new CR-V hybrid over to me, they pointed at a filler cap under the bonnet and said "That's for the engine coolant". I replied, "No, it's the inverter coolant: this one over here is for the engine coolant". Their response? "What's an inverter...?" :)

Sounds like we've both had to tell our dealer how some of it works!
I also heard that Honda was afraid saying the hybrid had "no transmission" would put people off. To me it was a selling point.
I understand that an induction motor doesn't NEED a transmission, one of its major advantages.
I asked one salesman to explain the i-MMD drive and he said "it's just like a Prius".
(it was a Colorado dealership, he may have thought "just like a Prius" was a selling point)
I knew I wasn't getting any solid info from THAT fellow.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,699 Posts
Think its fair to say we're all adults, from different parts of the globe and thus, perspective can often be lost in translation - quite a few times I have seen people take umbrage with what I say but the phrases I use are coloquially used in England.

Never any malice behind it.

That said, no forum anywhere, whether automotive or healthcare is going to be perfect. Its only as good as the people are and the content therein. Thats where Moderators have the thankless task of trying to balance information versus insults, misinterpretation and possible offensive material.

No one is perfect - therefore, as I said upthread, I think this place is great. Its only within the last few days that I have noticed a serious deterioration of discussion limited to the Hybrid section due to new members/owners. That is not replicated elsewhere on this site and nor should that be a barometer of what this club represents.

We're here because we own, or have owned a Honda CR-V or still hold a flame for it - that above all should be the decisive factor in engagements I feel. I know I have made mistakes here and I fully take on board the critique and hold my hands up to it.

High time some of those folks spoiling the Hybrid area take the same degree of responsibility and say it publicly like I have. :) 👌

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,462 Posts
Think its fair to say we're all adults, from different parts of the globe and thus, perspective can often be lost in translation - quite a few times I have seen people take umbrage with what I say but the phrases I use are coloquially used in England.
You can get yourself in trouble. An Aussie friend of mine once told an American lady he would "stop by and knock you up in the morning".
He didn't expect the reaction he got.
Funny thing is, those two eventually got married.
It always astounds me that hybrid vehicles can elicit political responses. Someone told me that "Only a Pelosi supporter would drive a hybrid".
Both untrue and irrelevant.
There are plenty of political forums on the internet, I don't want to see this turn into one.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts

Well put, @Alfettaman

One thing I encourage all members to adhere to:

"Disagree with the idea, not the person"

1 - 20 of 114 Posts