Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
I've been over the BB a few times. You can keep it. LOL

Reactions: fishycomics

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
752 Posts
Hope it is not too late to add my $.02 to this discussion.

The first is indifference. The posts that don’t get many responses tend to die out. The posts that has content which affects many other owners will have many pages added to it over due time. This one has 62 posts already, with more to be added I am sure.

As with any event, a POV is personal. For all topics, the OP has an issue with which I may share the same interest. How best to share that interest is the crux of the problem. For example, my choices when upgrading my audio system may not meet with everyone’s approval, but I post it in the hope that others may benefit from my experience.

Secondly, international texting has to substitute for in-person conversation. Because of that, we sometimes tend to type faster than we think. We may think that our witty response to another member’s post will brighten everyone’s day. Often times, reading that witty riposte aloud may force you to edit your comment. Pushing the “Post” button should be done only after due consideration for the content being sent. Gaslighting during a discussion rarely, if ever, aids in solving that issue.

You can never edit enough. A computer program has numbers after its title, such as 10.x.xx.x.xx.x . Each x stands for an edit of the original program. What would your post look like if you added the number of times it was edited before posting?

Finally, as many have said before, consumers often fall for advertising glitz rather than doing their own investigation. “Caveat emptor” should be on everyone’s mind when making any purchase. My rule of thumb when looking at reviews of an unfamiliar product is to look at the 1-2 star comments rather than the 4-5 star comments. The objections to a product give me more insight than the agreed do. How others react to a product should only be a guide. The ultimate responsibility always lies with the purchaser. Our greatest power as consumers is the word “NO”.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
Hope it is not too late to add my $.02 to this discussion.
Not at all - in fact, the more members that see this thread, the more I would encourage them to participate :)

Reactions: JB in AZ

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, I'm in my first CRV Hybrid after owning two previous CRV Diesels. I am a relatively new member to the forum as well. I can only thank the members who have responded to my questions, two of the issues I found, have been put to bed, by reading the manual (who ever reads the manual). For the record had my car since Feb and still really pleased with it, so all good from this part of the UK :)

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
Well, I'm in my first CRV Hybrid after owning two previous CRV Diesels. I am a relatively new member to the forum as well. I can only thank the members who have responded to my questions, two of the issues I found, have been put to bed, by reading the manual (who ever reads the manual). For the record had my car since Feb and still really pleased with it, so all good from this part of the UK :)
One thing I have definitely noticed from UK Hybrid owners - very few, if any, complaints. The odd quirk here-n-there, but by and large, you all seem extremely happy with what the Hybrid does. 👌

Reactions: Alfettaman

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,026 Posts

·
Registered
UK 2019 Honda CR-V hybrid EX iMMD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
One thing I have definitely noticed from UK Hybrid owners - very few, if any, complaints. The odd quirk here-n-there, but by and large, you all seem extremely happy with what the Hybrid does. 👌
That's something that I think I'd noticed too. Certainly, as a UK owner myself I am really delighted by my CR-V, which has exceeded all of my expectations of it. But - if UK owners really are more likely to be happy with their CR-V hybrid - why is that? Some possible explanations/theories:

1. Maybe the hybrid CR-V is just really well-suited to the UK driving environment? We have poor quality roads, traffic congestion, relatively modest cruising speeds, not very hilly/mountainous terrain, no super-extreme temperatures, short average journeys, etc?
2. Or perhaps the Japanese-built CR-Vs that we get in the UK really are better made, or have better engineering specifications?
3. Could it be that the UK dealer network is especially skilled/competent/knowledgeable/well-managed, compared to some other territories - so our cars are likely to be better prepared and maintained?
4. Or maybe the British are just not so discerning or fussy (or are culturally less likely to complain about things), and are therefore relatively easy to please?
5. Or is there some other explanation...?

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,524 Posts
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with these observations but what is surprising is the fact that our cars are significantly more expensive and the cost of fuel is astronomical compared to our American cousins.
Many of the complaints I hear (not from me) are about not meeting the mileage estimates.
You would be hard put to find ANY vehicle that actually met its US EPA estimates, this is why "YMMV" is such a thing.
Perhaps the UK estimates are more realistic?
Given more expensive fuel, I'd expect UK drivers to be more interested in mileage than drivers in the US.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with these observations but what is surprising is the fact that our cars are significantly more expensive and the cost of fuel is astronomical compared to our American cousins.
The price difference between the UK ans USA is staggering, and always makes me gasp and stretch my eyes!

Base model CR-V hybrid in USA is about 30500 USD list price. That's 22199 GBP at the date of writing this.

In the UK it would cost you a whopping 30880 GBP, or 42700 USD ! That's really quite a difference...

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
And wait the average price is going to be for A car 30 plus K.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,524 Posts
The price difference between the UK ans USA is staggering, and always makes me gasp and stretch my eyes!

Base model CR-V hybrid in USA is about 30500 USD list price. That's 22199 GBP at the date of writing this.

In the UK it would cost you a whopping 30880 GBP, or 42700 USD ! That's really quite a difference...
Because far fewer CR-Vs, and Hondas in general, are sold in the UK, the cost of maintaining a dealer network, stocking parts, meeting government requirements etc. is spread out among far fewer owners than in the US.
Make and sell more of something, the price does down.
Total cost includes taxes, insurance, registration costs etc., but I somehow suspect those costs are higher in the UK as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Many of the complaints I hear (not from me) are about not meeting the mileage estimates.
Perhaps the UK estimates are more realistic?
When I bought my UK 2019 CR-V EX AWD hybrid, the official fuel consumption was dictated by the old NEDC European method, which gave my new car a 'combined' figure of 51.4 mpgUK, which is the same as 42.8 mpgUS. I can easily achieve that figure if I want to.

Nowadays (and in a move towards making official figures more closely reflect the average real driving experience) the official mpg figures for new cars in the UK are dictated by the much more pessimistic Passenger Car (Fuel consumption and CO2 Emissions Information) Regulations. Under this system, the AWD CR-V hybrid achieves a ridiculously low 38.7 mpgUK combined (32.2 mpgUS).

For comparison, your US EPA figure is 38 mpgUS combined, which is 45.6 mpgUK. So there are clearly several quite different methodologies for estimating mpg - and different owners achieve very different figures too!

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,524 Posts
When I bought my UK 2019 CR-V EX AWD hybrid, the official fuel consumption was dictated by the old NEDC European method, which gave my new car a 'combined' figure of 51.4 mpgUK, which is the same as 42.8 mpgUS. I can easily achieve that figure if I want to.

Nowadays (and in a move towards making official figures more closely reflect the average real driving experience) the official mpg figures for new cars in the UK are dictated by the much more pessimistic Passenger Car (Fuel consumption and CO2 Emissions Information) Regulations. Under this system, the AWD CR-V hybrid achieves a ridiculously low 38.7 mpgUK combined (32.2 mpgUS).

For comparison, your US EPA figure is 38 mpgUS combined, which is 45.6 mpgUK. So there are clearly several quite different methodologies for estimating mpg - and different owners achieve very different figures too!
I can also meet the EPA estimate here, but factors like temperature and elevation figure in.
I made a 50 mile drive yesterday. Got 38 MPG going there. Coming back, same road, same speed, same temperature I got 33.
The difference? A 2500 foot elevation change (Cheyenne to Fort Collins, CO). Lifting a couple of tons half a mile into the air takes a lot of energy.
It's not a promise or a guarantee, it's an "estimate".

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
Great discussion all :)

But reverting back to the initial post and premise of this thread....most, if not all this site has a wealth of knowledge and experience within it.

Too often, new members coming looking for a solitary answer and then never come back or engage.

While we cant change peoples habits for forum use, there does need to be an acceptance on the part of new members who come seeking answers that seasoned forum participants will help, but that newbies ought to do proper site searches and read their manuals too.

Way too many threads asking for help when YouTube is crammed full of answers and takes seconds to find.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
It's not a promise or a guarantee, it's an "estimate".
Exactly so. No car manufacturer or government could ever give a guarantee of mpg - because the conditions of use are complex, highly variable, and completely beyond their control. You quite evidently understand and accept that - but there have been a few contributors to the hybrid forum who still seem to think that the EPA figure is a promise.

That said, official mpg figures can still be of some (limited) help when comparing fuel usage for different cars. But even then, some cars seem to attain their official figure quite easily, while others really struggle.

This conversation is probably in danger of being moved to an "mpg" thread, as we are actually supposed to be discussing good manners/tone/forum etiquette/etc! ;)

I'll fetch my coat...

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
To All back to the Topic, Offtopic we do but lets keep this to the topic. want to talk head over to the Offtopic section and talk

• People who can't achieve 25mpg in a CR-V hybrid (the model that I happen to have) and immediately blame everything apart from the fact that they live up a mountain at minus 20degC and are evidently disinterested in learning how their car works or how to drive efficiently.
  • Long, opinionated and ill-informed “technical” monologues, incorrectly explaining how the Continuously Variable Transmission works on a CR-V hybrid (the Hybrid does not have a CVT), or how use its “paddle shifters” (the hybrid doesn’t have those either).
  • New owners who bought their car having done little research, and who have seemingly come to the forum solely to demolish every feature of their CR-V, as a way of justifying their mistake and preserving their own self-belief. If you really don’t like CR-Vs, then I’m not sure that screeching angrily at other owners is going to help!
================​

Of course, you are most welcome to disagree with me. All I ask is that you try to do so respectfully, thoughtfully, intelligently – and preferably without screeching and ranting! :)

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,679 Posts
Great discussion all :)

But reverting back to the initial post and premise of this thread....most, if not all this site has a wealth of knowledge and experience within it.

Too often, new members coming looking for a solitary answer and then never come back or engage.

While we cant change peoples habits for forum use, there does need to be an acceptance on the part of new members who come seeking answers that seasoned forum participants will help, but that newbies ought to do proper site searches and read their manuals too.

Way too many threads asking for help when YouTube is crammed full of answers and takes seconds to find.
Perhaps those new members looking for a solitary answer were directed here because the CRVOC was the first response listed from Google. The fact that they don't come back to engage just means they only needed an answer to an urgent issue, and not ongoing conversation. Which is fine by me.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
^

Nothing wrong in being a one-time user.

It was just something I had observed :)

Reactions: Kazoo2U

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’m relatively new to the CR-V forum but, in the short time I have been here, I think I’ve noticed a bit of a decline in the quality of conversations. As a long-standing Honda owner, I’m genuinely surprised by that, because in all my other dealings with Honda owners I’ve generally found them to be an enthusiastic, intelligent, thoughtful, mild-mannered and sometimes very knowledgeable bunch.

This CR-V forum seems to be dominated by north Americans (it’s an important market for Honda) and, rather too often, the tone seems to be angry, aggressive or just ill-informed and ignorant. Examples include:
  • People who can't achieve 25mpg in a CR-V hybrid (the model that I happen to have) and immediately blame everything apart from the fact that they live up a mountain at minus 20degC and are evidently disinterested in learning how their car works or how to drive efficiently.
  • Long, opinionated and ill-informed “technical” monologues, incorrectly explaining how the Continuously Variable Transmission works on a CR-V hybrid (the Hybrid does not have a CVT), or how use its “paddle shifters” (the hybrid doesn’t have those either).
  • New owners who bought their car having done little research, and who have seemingly come to the forum solely to demolish every feature of their CR-V, as a way of justifying their mistake and preserving their own self-belief. If you really don’t like CR-Vs, then I’m not sure that screeching angrily at other owners is going to help!
================​

In contrast, other forums that I’m on (classic Alfa Romeo, Honda CR-Z, Honda Insight) are notable for their much more empathetic and respectful tone, and for having a higher proportion of contributors with a real depth of knowledge and expertise that they offer freely and generously - presumably out of a selfless desire to assist others.

At best, a car forum is a place for like-minded people to chat, enthuse, learn, laugh, and to help each other where we can. On a good day, the CR-V forum undoubtedly achieves that - but maybe too often it seems to struggle.

So it’s down to each of us to play our part, to improve the tone and quality of our discussions, and to help ensure the forum feels like a good place to be.

Of course, you are most welcome to disagree with me. All I ask is that you try to do so respectfully, thoughtfully, intelligently – and preferably without screeching and ranting! :)
[/QUOTE

Not sure where you are getting your information from but from a quick Google search shows the Honda CRV Hybrids do have a CVT but it's called a E-CVT.

61 - 80 of 114 Posts