Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I haven't been on this forum long, been a long time Ridgeline Owners Club and Piloteers member, but like all forums find that there is always a difference of opinion, negativity and rudeness. I always read right over those posts, as that is not why I came here. So far, I have found most everyone here is supportive and helpful, and I have learned a lot and enjoy being here. I wouldn't let the few rotten apples change your opinion of an overall extremely valuable and enjoyable forum with others that have similar interests. Thanks for the hospitality I have received so far, hope this place makes it through like we will with this pandemic. You guys rock!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I’m relatively new to the CR-V forum but, in the short time I have been here, I think I’ve noticed a bit of a decline in the quality of conversations. As a long-standing Honda owner, I’m genuinely surprised by that, because in all my other dealings with Honda owners I’ve generally found them to be an enthusiastic, intelligent, thoughtful, mild-mannered and sometimes very knowledgeable bunch.

This CR-V forum seems to be dominated by north Americans (it’s an important market for Honda) and, rather too often, the tone seems to be angry, aggressive or just ill-informed and ignorant. Examples include:
  • People who can't achieve 25mpg in a CR-V hybrid (the model that I happen to have) and immediately blame everything apart from the fact that they live up a mountain at minus 20degC and are evidently disinterested in learning how their car works or how to drive efficiently.
  • Long, opinionated and ill-informed “technical” monologues, incorrectly explaining how the Continuously Variable Transmission works on a CR-V hybrid (the Hybrid does not have a CVT), or how use its “paddle shifters” (the hybrid doesn’t have those either).
  • New owners who bought their car having done little research, and who have seemingly come to the forum solely to demolish every feature of their CR-V, as a way of justifying their mistake and preserving their own self-belief. If you really don’t like CR-Vs, then I’m not sure that screeching angrily at other owners is going to help!
================​

In contrast, other forums that I’m on (classic Alfa Romeo, Honda CR-Z, Honda Insight) are notable for their much more empathetic and respectful tone, and for having a higher proportion of contributors with a real depth of knowledge and expertise that they offer freely and generously - presumably out of a selfless desire to assist others.

At best, a car forum is a place for like-minded people to chat, enthuse, learn, laugh, and to help each other where we can. On a good day, the CR-V forum undoubtedly achieves that - but maybe too often it seems to struggle.

So it’s down to each of us to play our part, to improve the tone and quality of our discussions, and to help ensure the forum feels like a good place to be.

Of course, you are most welcome to disagree with me. All I ask is that you try to do so respectfully, thoughtfully, intelligently – and preferably without screeching and ranting! :)
Every social media platform has its share of trolls, some of whom can be quite funny, But when someone asks a legitimate question, they are seeking the knowledge and expertise of current owners, not ridicule and put downs. Yes, some of the trolls do try to incite those of us who tend to be more excitable, but as with other forums, sometimes it's best to just scroll on by.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So correct 82 posts and not 1 post commenting on the actual vehicle I had to dump the Ridgeline form for this same reason. Use to nice to get technical information, parts and service advice and just good ole driving experiences. I have worked for Honda for 3 decades and own a Ridgeline,CRV and a Acura TSX, Thought I could help others with my knowledge and experience. Good Luck P.S. don't care for my CRV just to small but where can you find a more economical and reliable car ! The good far out weighs the short comings.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,524 Posts
Google is not infallible. Honda does indeed call what's in the hybrid an "E-CVT", but it has absolutely nothing to do with what most people think of as a CVT, including a band or chain, or even a rubber belt. The hybrid drive train includes two induction motors and some wet multiplate clutches. The only "transmission" like functions are performed by the primary induction motor.
I suppose they can call it whatever they like, but it's not any kind of CVT in the sense that any mechanic would agree with.
Honda was apparently reticent to say the hybrid had "no transmission", but to me that was a BIG selling point.
Honda does seem to have their mechanical CVTs honed pretty well. I test drove one and was surprised at how well it performed.

·
Premium Member
2021 CR-V EXL Aegean Blue
30 Posts
I recently traded my 2018 CR-V EX for a 2021 CR-V EX-L in Aegean Blue Metallic. I had no trouble at all with the 2018, but I was sorry after that I didn't get an EX-L model. I got a letter in January from the dealer where I bought the car offering a REALLY good price on a trade in that was a 1-day special. I went for it (a birthday present to myself) and I'm really happy that I did. I love this CR-V and the extra features. I just thought I'd post a positive comment about mine. It's not a hybrid, but I just wanted to say that I had no trouble with the other one and have no issues with this one, either. I bought my 1st Honda in 1979. It was a Civic CVCC. I traded it 3 years later for an Accord and have had Accords up to 2018 when I bought the CR-V. I'm a happy Honda owner.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I’m relatively new to the CR-V forum but, in the short time I have been here, I think I’ve noticed a bit of a decline in the quality of conversations. As a long-standing Honda owner, I’m genuinely surprised by that, because in all my other dealings with Honda owners I’ve generally found them to be an enthusiastic, intelligent, thoughtful, mild-mannered and sometimes very knowledgeable bunch.

This CR-V forum seems to be dominated by north Americans (it’s an important market for Honda) and, rather too often, the tone seems to be angry, aggressive or just ill-informed and ignorant. Examples include:
  • People who can't achieve 25mpg in a CR-V hybrid (the model that I happen to have) and immediately blame everything apart from the fact that they live up a mountain at minus 20degC and are evidently disinterested in learning how their car works or how to drive efficiently.
  • Long, opinionated and ill-informed “technical” monologues, incorrectly explaining how the Continuously Variable Transmission works on a CR-V hybrid (the Hybrid does not have a CVT), or how use its “paddle shifters” (the hybrid doesn’t have those either).
  • New owners who bought their car having done little research, and who have seemingly come to the forum solely to demolish every feature of their CR-V, as a way of justifying their mistake and preserving their own self-belief. If you really don’t like CR-Vs, then I’m not sure that screeching angrily at other owners is going to help!
================​

In contrast, other forums that I’m on (classic Alfa Romeo, Honda CR-Z, Honda Insight) are notable for their much more empathetic and respectful tone, and for having a higher proportion of contributors with a real depth of knowledge and expertise that they offer freely and generously - presumably out of a selfless desire to assist others.

At best, a car forum is a place for like-minded people to chat, enthuse, learn, laugh, and to help each other where we can. On a good day, the CR-V forum undoubtedly achieves that - but maybe too often it seems to struggle.

So it’s down to each of us to play our part, to improve the tone and quality of our discussions, and to help ensure the forum feels like a good place to be.

Of course, you are most welcome to disagree with me. All I ask is that you try to do so respectfully, thoughtfully, intelligently – and preferably without screeching and ranting! :)
Unfortunate sign of the times here. There are some techs, DIYers, & engineers that are knowledgeable here, but some responders do not understand automotive systems. In addition, every fix does not apply to every model car. Hard to diagnose a car that is miles away from you. You can offer educated guesses, but which one applies to that particular car? Hopefully the comments here serve as a point of reference for others to pursue educating themselves on how their car works.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Too often, new members coming looking for a solitary answer and then never come back or engage.
Nature of the beast I think. Something goes wrong and needs fixing hence the sign in. Whereas if folks are seriously into fishing or golf for example, they probably read as much about it as they can i.e. an engaged audience.

I get the same writing about DIY, once folks have fixed their toilet, they don't feel the need to read more lol!

Personally, I've found this forum a lifesaver trying to keep a 2003 CRV on the road in a country where labour rates are way North of £100/$140 an hour. Long may it continue :)

·
Registered
5 Posts

================​

I do agree. A lot of questions could be answered if owners would just read the owners manual. The day of the back yard mechanic is gone. These cars are amazing pieces of technology.

·
Registered
7 Posts

================​

We are getting 36 -39 mpg in city driving compared to 20 mpg in city during with are old Outback.........also the quietness in the cabin and smooth ride are a pleasant experience compared to the gas powered version....and alot better than the busy Rav4 hybrid...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not a car enthusiast but a rather DIY type, It might amaze many that some people on here might not even own a Honda. know how to change the oil or even a tire and god forbid change a spark plug, are first time buyers of anything just to mention a few activities Most, particularly, Americans, are not taught this at home and as a retired teacher not many practical skills are taught in the schools today. Having said that, many read too much and expect what the media suggest or do not read how use and they are entitled to hide behind a screen name and make weird comment with no repercussions. BTW I did not read through 89 post LOL

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
Reactions: beww

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,524 Posts
Most, particularly, Americans, are not taught this at home and as a retired teacher not many practical skills are taught in the schools today.
True, and it doesn't help when High Schools and Community Colleges are shutting down their auto mechanics programs, seemingly in favor of sending everyone to STEM grad school.
Anyone wanting to learn even basic electronics would have to enlist, it's not taught at any local HS or CC.
We are heading to be a country full of very educated people with nobody to fix their cars.

·
Registered
UK 2019 Honda CR-V hybrid EX iMMD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 · (Edited)
We are heading to be a country full of very educated people with nobody to fix their cars.
Nowadays few people know how to fix anything, due to the creeping infantilisation of society: "Your car/washing machine/vacuum cleaner/etc are much too complex for your feeble mind to understand, and if you tried to fix them yourself you'd almost certainly end up ruining them and setting your house on fire. You'd better pay someone else $150 per hour to do it for you. Or just throw it away and buy a new one."

In 1969 software engineers wrote a program to control the descent of the Apollo Lunar Module onto the moon's surface. It had to run in 32k of erasable memory, because that was the state-of-the-art: only NASA could afford to make a computer with so much memory! Do you think that Microsoft engineers today could land a rocket on the moon using a 32k computer? Those skills are gone. Even their unremarkable word processor on my computer takes up 60Mbytes.

We are in some danger of creating a society entirely reliant on complex technology, but where almost no-one really knows how any of it works...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with Alfettaman. I am on several motorcycle forums and the tone there is much different. On the cycle forums the spirit is very cooperative.

Here a person creates a post looking for help and in to often gets slammed. Here too many are interested drawing attention to themselves, being right or spreading wisdom of being superior, rather the helping. The discourse on this forum is excessive. This doesn't have anything to do with the pond or the Hybrid.

I had a question about my 2018 CRV so I searched very carefully to find threads discussing my concern. The thread didn't really answer my question but it did get me to thinking about the problem. Heaven help me if I created a new post on the CR-V forum, instead I took the car out for test rides and resolved it on my own. And this particular thread was full of the rubbish Alfettaman discusses so well.

Thanks Alfettaman. Great post.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well I still mend my washing machine/tumble dryer and vacum and the good things nowadays is most time there is a you tube video telling you how to do it
When I put a new belt on the tumble dryer and it wouldn't work my wife pointed out where I had gone wrong:)
As she had watched the video but took more notice of the instructions

·
Registered
32 Posts
Honda quality isn't what is used to be. It is one thing to complain when uninformed and quite another when the product is just faulty.

Certain CRV features are not fully debugged or just faulty. To use my smartphone connected via USB, I must reboot the radio and smartphone at least once per month. The radio frequently displays NO DEVICE CONNECTED. At times, I have to absolutely slam doors because door closures are not recognized and the doors will not lock. While driving at speed, the radio starts cycling through screens endlessly and non-responsive to touch. When I provided my dealer with the above, I was asked to leave the car with them for several days so they could examine it, a debug at buyer's expense after purchase situation. Quality is at the heart of these discussion.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
Honda quality isn't what is used to be.
I would counter that this statement cannot equitably be applied across all Honda sites/products.

I never found any major defect(s) on 4x 4th Gen CR-Vs built in Swindon, UK, 1x 10th Gen Civic, also Swindon, UK, 2x Accords and my current 5th Gen CR-V all built in Japan. Quality issues are a function of application of production processes at each production facility, which like every car, can vary.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I would counter that this statement cannot equitably be applied across all Honda sites/products.

I never found any major defect(s) on 4x 4th Gen CR-Vs built in Swindon, UK, 1x 10th Gen Civic, also Swindon, UK, 2x Accords and my current 5th Gen CR-V all built in Japan. Quality issues are a function of application of production processes at each production facility, which like every car, can vary.
So, the published TDK quality assessment for Honda is "Stellar". My neighbor is on his 4th BMW, currently a 4 series. He's never had any issues, so he would give BMW that same rating. :)

This is why ratings are based on a larger sample size. It is a fact that Honda has dropped a bit over the years. Most can be attributed to newer technology and driver ignorance. It seems a lot of Honda buyers like things simple. When they start adding things like adaptive cruise, stop/start, etc... and remove things like the CD player, people react. Just look around the forum for proof. If you drill down, you'll see that Honda is still very reliable where it matters most.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
So, the published TDK quality assessment for Honda is "Stellar".
Only in my personal experience - in the UK, we dont get US-built Honda's so sadly cannot compare. (Although that could change if the 11th Gen Civic Type R for the UK comes from the USA!).

👌 :)

81 - 100 of 114 Posts