Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2001 CRV EX Auto 4WD
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After finding out that even the cheapest online Honda shop wants over $200 per injector for new fuel injectors I finally gave in and bought some re-manufactured fuel injectors from Rock Auto.

The are AutoLine 16317 they have a two year warranty which would be more than enough time for me to send my OE injectors off to have re-manufactured. Has anyone had any experience with them? Here is their company website Autoline They are a Canadian company that has been re-manufacturing auto parts for 60 years, but strangely enough I can't find much on the web about them other than NAPA Canada sells them. The other choice was GB remanufacturing 84212197 and I found lots on the web about that company, enough bad to make me pick the AutoLine lol.

Edit: I forgot I wanted to send my OE injectors to be serviced, has anyone had any experience with this company Mr Injector ? Seems that they are the best place according to reviews and auto forums. I just want to make extra sure before I send off my injectors, I don't want to get some knock-offs sent back to me for my trouble lol.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

My injectors will be arriving tomorrow, I will let you guys know either way how it goes after installing them.

· Registered
1,274 Posts
After finding out that even the cheapest online Honda shop wants over $200 per injector for new fuel injectors I finally gave in and bought some re-manufactured fuel injectors from Rock Auto.

The are AutoLine 16317 they have a two year warranty which would be more than enough time for me to send my OE injectors off to have re-manufactured. Has anyone had any experience with them? Here is their company website Autoline They are a Canadian company that has been re-manufacturing auto parts for 60 years, but strangely enough I can't find much on the web about them other than NAPA Canada sells them. The other choice was GB remanufacturing 84212197 and I found lots on the web about that company, enough bad to make me pick the AutoLine lol.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

My injectors will be arriving tomorrow, I will let you guys know either way how it goes after installing them.
I would like to know how you knew your injectors were bad.

· Registered
2001 CRV EX Auto 4WD
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to know how you knew your injectors were bad.
I tried to clean them using throttle body cleaner and a 12-volt battery to hold them open and two of them wouldn't mist at all, just squirted like a water gun. I am also getting a hesitation sometimes, especially when engaging the kickdown going up a hill, the car even jolts sometimes and I have literally fixed or replaced everything else that could be the problem. The ONLY thing I haven't replaced is the injectors. But true I don't know for a fact that they are bad, but I am not going to get rid of my OEM ones, I am going to get them serviced these are just so I don't have any downtime while they're being serviced. I edited my first post on a possible place I am going to send them, but would like some feedback from anyone that knows.

· Registered
40 Posts
Another option is to put them in an ultrasonic cleaner (if you have access to one).

I've been considering doing the valve stem + carb cleaner method in an attempt to improve my gas mileage. I'm at 150k but haven't had studdering issues as you describe

I did see as well the new ones are $200+ at O'Reillys. That's a chuckle.

if your pockets are heavy, there's another remanufactured version amazon $50

· Registered
2001 CRV EX Auto 4WD
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok just unboxed my fuel injectors, I wasn't expecting them to all look brand new. I am still waiting for my OEM fuel filter to arrive, I purchased that off of Genuine OEM Honda Parts and Accessories Online - Honda Parts Now

I may wait until tomorrow to install them as it's only going to get to 47F here today and tomorrow is going to be much nicer. Here is a pic of them.
Rectangle Material property Font Circuit component Jewellery

Edit: here is a picture of the OEM Fuel Filter. Never use an aftermarket fuel filter because every one I have ever encountered leaked every time. And they are not much more than the aftermarket ones if you buy them online.
Grey Automotive lighting Material property Office supplies Rectangle

· Registered
2001 CRV EX Auto 4WD
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It all went together with no issues. For anyone doing a replacement of both the injectors and fuel filter at the same time, just know that you will have to crank the engine for about 10 seconds while the fuel goes through the fuel filter and to the fuel rail. Car fired right up every time after that (Had to run errands around town.)

The hesitation is completely gone now, and so far no jolts when I engage the kickdown, but I have only had 1 opportunity to engage it so far. The idle seems a little smoother but it was already very smooth to begin with. Only time will tell but the injectors are doing their job well, as to longevity I will just keep using these until they begin to show problems. I will get my OEM ones serviced and keep them put up as a backup.

When the re-manufactured injectors begin to show problems I will update this thread and let everyone know. Hopefully it is a long time from now!

Sorry for the late post I ate some KFC and fell asleep lol.

· Registered
2001 CRV EX Auto 4WD
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok, do not get these. The reman injectors slowly leaked gas and in the morning when I went to start my car it would sputter for a few seconds before the fitv took over. It did this from the beginning, I just thought they needed to be broken in or something. Well the problem only got worse. This morning it even went as far as throwing a misfire code. I cleaned my OEM injectors and put them back into my car. Will update tomorrow if the problem is gone.

· Registered
40 Posts
Oh no! What a PITA.
I did pull my injectors last weekend and cleaned them. I used the attahced setup. I was a bit perplexed as no matter how hard I depressed the plunger, I couldn't get it the injector cleaner to spray a "fan" pattern, it was more of a "shot", rather than a spray. Like, when you adjust a hand-spray bottle pattern down until there is no more spray and it shoots like a water gun.

I immediately thought "oh this one is clogged" and went to #2 injector...same. #3 same, #4 same. So I thought, what the heck, let's throw them back in, I guess. Fired up with no issues. It may be placebo, but I am pretty sure it improved the "pep" a tad, although nothing earthshattering. Although, it does seem - odd, it should be a spray, right? No decrease in performance, if anything a slight increase. So, we'll see if I can squeak out another mpg or two.

Edit: forgot to include another thought I had...I wondered if 3v was enough to fully open the injector or not. Possibly it needs 9v to fully open and that's why I didn't get a good spray pattern. Just a thought.

Attachments

· Registered
2001 CRV EX Auto 4WD
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Oh no! What a PITA.
I did pull my injectors last weekend and cleaned them. I used the attahced setup. I was a bit perplexed as no matter how hard I depressed the plunger, I couldn't get it the injector cleaner to spray a "fan" pattern, it was more of a "shot", rather than a spray. Like, when you adjust a hand-spray bottle pattern down until there is no more spray and it shoots like a water gun.

I immediately thought "oh this one is clogged" and went to #2 injector...same. #3 same, #4 same. So I thought, what the heck, let's throw them back in, I guess. Fired up with no issues. It may be placebo, but I am pretty sure it improved the "pep" a tad, although nothing earthshattering. Although, it does seem - odd, it should be a spray, right? No decrease in performance, if anything a slight increase. So, we'll see if I can squeak out another mpg or two.

Edit: forgot to include another thought I had...I wondered if 3v was enough to fully open the injector or not. Possibly it needs 9v to fully open and that's why I didn't get a good spray pattern. Just a thought.
I do use a 9v battery to open my injectors. Yea I don't get a "perfect fan" when I clean mine either, I'm beginning think the cleaner can doesn't have enough pressure to do that. This is the cleaner I have been using for my throttle body and yesterday I used it on my injectors before I reinstalled them https://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-e...r-choke-throttle-body-cleaner-16oz/438294_0_0

While I didn't get a strong spray pattern they did do a lot better than just squirting this time. What I plan to do later when I get a little extra money is buy some injectors out of a junked crv and send them off to be serviced, then when I get them back send mine off to be serviced also. That way I will always have a backup set for whenever I need to get my injectors serviced.

Sadly the only places around me that do any kind of injector cleaning is like Pep boys, Firestone etc. And they do not do ultrasonic cleaning, back flushing, or any of the things that would actually help. So I have to send mine off and right now the turn around time is a week to two weeks at most online places.

Edit: Btw where did you get that cleaning kit? I have just been using electrical tape wrapped around the end of the red straw, and not having very good results. I have been hesitant to get a kit online because I was afraid it wouldn't fit my injectors, I am really gun shy about buying stuff online because you can't trust any of the reviews because a lot of them are bought reviews.

What does everyone think about this cleaning kit. It's cheap enough to take a chance on, and from the video it seems to work a lot better than what I have been doing.

Edit: Heck with it, I am going to buy it. Will tell you guys if it works or not.

· Registered
2001 CRV EX Auto 4WD
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh I forgot to update. Putting back my OEM injectors solved the sputtering problem. Also I guess this latest "cleaning" (I say that because I didn't do a very good job of it) solved the hesitation on takeoff that caused me to get the reman ones in the first place.

So to anyone that has injector problems, as long as they still function electronically and mechanically they just need a good cleaning. If you can, do what I said I was going to do in my previous post get some OEM ones out of a junker and get them cleaned and then yours. I will never trust reman or aftermarket injectors after this.

· Registered
2001 CR-V EX 4WD Auto
119 Posts
Hey G.W., I have a question for you, since you seem to be a professional at replacing fuel injectors at this point:

I am wondering if my fuel injectors are failing and that's causing issues with my engine performance. However, I have a B20z2 engine with the intake manifold that sits over top of the fuel injectors. Do you know how I remove them? Do I have to remove the intake manifold?

· Registered
2001 CRV EX Auto 4WD
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hey G.W., I have a question for you, since you seem to be a professional at replacing fuel injectors at this point:

I am wondering if my fuel injectors are failing and that's causing issues with my engine performance. However, I have a B20z2 engine with the intake manifold that sits over top of the fuel injectors. Do you know how I remove them? Do I have to remove the intake manifold?
That part on top with the 4 bolts is just a resonator, it attaches on top of the intake and can be removed easily. Just remove those 4 bolts and pull it off. then you can access the fuel rail, there are three nuts that bolt down the fuel rail then you can pull it up, a little gas will leak out but it wont spray when one of the injectors comes loose from the rail. Then you can remove your fuel injectors. Be careful not to lose any of the O-rings on the bottom of the injector they slip off sometimes when you are pulling them out. I doubt they are failing though they just need cleaned.

Also I got the cleaner kit Amazon.com and it works like a charm. I did it different than the guy in the video though, I bought some doorman rubber O-rings (16 pack) and used one of the small ones where the plastic piece attaches to the cleaner can. That way not as much comes out the bottom a little will though when you release so you still need to put a rag around it, it also adds some pressure so it cleans better. Also I used two small alligator clip wires to hook up my 9-volt battery to the bigger clamps. It makes it easier to simulate the spray pattern. I did them all twice, first time I held them open for about 30 seconds continuous spray, then on the second round I tapped them so the valve would open and close to make sure the valve got cleaned good also. I had to use CRC Throttle body/Intake cleaner because the Berryman cans do not have the nozzle sticking up out of the can, so you can't use that brand cleaner. There is a marked improvement in the amount of power my car has now.

Edit: If you use a car battery (12-volt) to power the injectors DO NOT HOLD THEM OPEN, just tap because a car battery will burn the valve up. To be safe just use a 9-volt battery (My opinion)

· Registered
2001 CR-V EX 4WD Auto
119 Posts
I appreciate it. That's simpler than I thought it would be.

You're right, "failing" is a little extreme, what I should have said is "not functioning properly."

I found a local company that does fuel injector service (electrical test, flow test, partially disassemble and clean, fit with new seals/O-ring) for $25 per injector with a 1 day turnaround. They seem to have good reviews, so I may end up hopping on the bus and taking my injectors over there.

· Registered
2001 CRV EX Auto 4WD
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I appreciate it. That's simpler than I thought it would be.

You're right, "failing" is a little extreme, what I should have said is "not functioning properly."

I found a local company that does fuel injector service (electrical test, flow test, partially disassemble and clean, fit with new seals/O-ring) for $25 per injector with a 1 day turnaround. They seem to have good reviews, so I may end up hopping on the bus and taking my injectors over there.
That about what everywhere online charges. I wish there was a place near me that did that, I would have to ship my injectors to get professionally cleaned. Ask them if they also do ultrasonic cleaning and back flushing, if they do then it's for sure a deal. But yea it's really simple. They show exactly what you have to do at the beginning of this video, seeing it done makes it easier

Edit: Also when you put them back on use a screwdriver with a 1/4in socket end on the three fuel rail nuts, if you use a ratchet you can very easily strip the bolts that the fuel rail attaches to (I did it myself lol) Had to buy a new bolt and some new nuts because I had to cut the nut off the old bolt to get it back off. Or if you have a torque wrench then just torque to specifications. (I don't have one so I use the screwdriver on low torque nuts/bolts)

Edit2: Also dont even put the nuts on until you get the injectors to slide into the intake by hand, you will have to line them up, maybe even wiggle them a little. If you bolt them down without them sliding into the intake it can damage the O-rings and cause a leak.

· Registered
2001 CR-V EX 4WD Auto
119 Posts
Yeah, they do ultrasonic + backflush, they claim to use the "best and newest" technology including some ASNU machine. I was really glad to see there's a local place that does it so cheap.

· Registered
40 Posts
Edit: Btw where did you get that cleaning kit? I have just been using electrical tape wrapped around the end of the red straw, and not having very good results. I have been hesitant to get a kit online because I was afraid it wouldn't fit my injectors, I am really gun shy about buying stuff online because you can't trust any of the reviews because a lot of them are bought reviews.
It's a DIY, using a valve stem, some tubing and a meat injector without the needle. Some super glue holds it together.
I read somewhere (can't find it now) that pressure is crucial to blasting the small bits out and a spray can didn't have the required ummmph.

If you do choose to use the can, you can drill a small hole in a valve stem cap, just small enough that the red straw can fit through. Then you hot/super glue the straw in place, inside the valve stem cap. And the injector fits perfectly into the side of the valve stem that normally fits inside the tire (as shown in my picture).

Also, here's the injector seals that I used, since had the things out anyway, figure might as well replace.

· Registered
2001 CRV EX Auto 4WD
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's a DIY, using a valve stem, some tubing and a meat injector without the needle. Some super glue holds it together.
I read somewhere (can't find it now) that pressure is crucial to blasting the small bits out and a spray can didn't have the required ummmph.

If you do choose to use the can, you can drill a small hole in a valve stem cap, just small enough that the red straw can fit through. Then you hot/super glue the straw in place, inside the valve stem cap. And the injector fits perfectly into the side of the valve stem that normally fits inside the tire (as shown in my picture).

Also, here's the injector seals that I used, since had the things out anyway, figure might as well replace.
With that kit I bought off amazon and a small O-ring there is a ton of pressure. It is for sure worth the money.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts