Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Ya, I’m due for B-1,2. Txs for the reminder.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Good reminder, but those really don't look bad for the mileage. Perversely, air filters become more efficient as they become dirtier, up to a point at least.
Yes they do, but the airflow decrease is proportional to the amt of clogging of the tiny air passages.
Same with oil filters and engine air filters.
I changed my cabin air filter recently and I realized where that slight 'funny' odor was coming from after 25k miles. :)
Buffalo4

·
Registered
783 Posts
Yes they do, but the airflow decrease is proportional to the amt of clogging of the tiny air passages.
Same with oil filters and engine air filters.
I changed my cabin air filter recently and I realized where that slight 'funny' odor was coming from after 25k miles. :)
Buffalo4
Airflow does decrease, but so much capacity is built into air filters that they have to be incredibly dirty for it to matter. Of course they should changed accrording to the mantainence schedule, but there's nothing to be gained by replacing them more frequently.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Yea I did mine at about 19,000 miles and they were really dirty. I didn't wait for the MM, I just decided to do them one day.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
With the computer and fuel injection nowadays, even a fairly dirty engine air filter will not decrease mpg, but it will decrease power, under high throttle conditions. So, yes on changing them too often is not worthwhile for most drivers, money wise.
The cabin air filters will probably start delivering strange odors before the filter gets so clogged that the airflow is reduced enough to actually notice. :eek:
Buffalo4

·
Registered
252 Posts
On a side note, I've found the oem Honda engine air filters to be better in quality and fitment than 2 or 3 aftermarkets I've tried. But I don't mind using aftermarket cabin air filters which are a bit cheaper. Both are easy diy installs.

PS - I had to add chickenwire screening to the firewall on my '09 after discovering a mouse nest in my cabin air filter. One of the lovely benefits of living in the sticks ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts