Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first oil change Monday. 5000 miles. Checked when I got home it was almost a quart overfilled. I'm sure they put in 4.5. quarts. Took it back and they drained some out. I know this has been posted before but this is a reminder to new and old members. Check it after you have it changed..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep, mine was overfilled by 3/4 of a qt by the dealer. Nice.:angryfire

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Do you recall the MM % for you 5K miles? I only got 3904 miles at 15%.:headscratch:

·
Banned
353 Posts
I got my first oil change Monday. 5000 miles. Checked when I got home it was almost a quart overfilled. I'm sure they put in 4.5. quarts. Took it back and they drained some out. I know this has been posted before but this is a reminder to new and old members. Check it after you have it changed..
Why in the hell do people go to the dealership for routine maintenance???

As shown above, most of the "techs" doing this work are completely incompetent.

You should only use the dealer for warranty work and recalls. NOTHING ELSE.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Last time I took my CR-V to the dealer for an oil change they charged me for 5 quarts - this on the cars first oil change.

I did not put up too much of a fuss but I will bring my own Mobil 1 from now on.

And there will only be 4 quarts in the passenger seat when I bring it in.

Easiest way to deal with them overcharging me for oil they did not put into my vehicle (yes, I checked).

·
Registered
18 Posts
bluegrass, I don't go to the dealer for routine maintenance. I was dealing with fuel in oil AND heating complaints like most. So the dealer did an oil change. I do all my own maintenance normally. As a matter of fact I changed the oil on my CR-V one week before I took it in to get looked at for the problem. They changed it anyhow.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Wow..
Now that right there is funny.
And wrong.

Thousands and thousands of people have their vehicles serviced by the dealership and have no problems and are quite happy with it.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
653 Posts
Wow..
And wrong.

Thousands and thousands of people have their vehicles serviced by the dealership and have no problems and are quite happy with it.

I've had good luck at my dealership -- in fact, my experience with their service department is why I purchased my vehicle there.

Seriously, if you aren't in position to change it yourself, you're not going to get a better result at "Jiffy Lube" or somewhere similar.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've had good luck at my dealership -- in fact, my experience with their service department is why I purchased my vehicle there.

Seriously, if you aren't in position to change it yourself, you're not going to get a better result at "Jiffy Lube" or somewhere similar.
I don't know that anyone is advocating for Jiffy Lube or the like but surely there are a couple of small, reputable shops with honest staff that will net you better service and a better experience overall than the dealership for less. If you're one of the few people that has a dealership near you with a competent and knowledgeable service dept that doesn't feed you a bunch of BS every time you bring your vehicle in, play the lottery. You're much luckier than you know.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would bet that most people didn't ever check their oil after getting an oil change until the oil dilution concern arose. I know I never worried about it. Who knows what we were missing.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I think some of the more anal types prefer to change their own oil for many reasons including avoiding dealership incompetence, overcharging, upselling, wasting time, etc.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Wow..
And wrong.

My dealer provides free oil and filter changes. They don't try to get me to have other things done. I'm happy with them.

·
Banned
353 Posts
I think some of the more anal types prefer to change their own oil for many reasons including avoiding dealership incompetence, overcharging, upselling, wasting time, etc.
Bingo! You summed it up quite well.

A really good dealership service department may be able to avoid SOME of the issues noted above, but you will never be able to avoid ALL of them.

·
Banned
353 Posts
And wrong.

It is not wrong.
The phrase "ignorance is bliss" is what you are describing.

The vast majority of consumers are clueless. They don't check their oil levels, pay attention to what the dealership is doing or how much they are charging.

As evidenced by the OP's experience, consumers will allow dealers to destructively overfill their engine oil, then overcharge them for the unnecessary product.

They have "no problems" and are "quite happy" because they are blissfully unaware of the poor service they received and ignorant of the costs/consequences.

·
Registered
545 Posts
It is not wrong.
The phrase "ignorance is bliss" is what you are describing.

The vast majority of consumers are clueless. They don't check their oil levels, pay attention to what the dealership is doing or how much they are charging.

As evidenced by the OP's experience, consumers will allow dealers to destructively overfill their engine oil, then overcharge them for the unnecessary product.

They have "no problems" and are "quite happy" because they are blissfully unaware of the poor service they received and ignorant of the costs/consequences.
Do you know anyone who has had damage from "destructively overfilling with oil"?

Your assumption seems to be that dealerships do more wrong than right so no one can't trust or rely on any of them.

Millions of vehicles successfully serviced by dealers and running millions of miles indicate otherwise.

People don't know or care about vehicle maintenance like they used to for one reason - they don't have to because cars are so much better and reliable.

An example is the oil dilution issue in the CRV.. if the problem was as bad and destructive as some on here would have us believe then the roads and highways would be littered with dead CRV with blown or locked up engines.

One thing turbos don't like is poor oil quality on bearings that are turning 120,000 rpms.

Anyone reporting turbo problems?

21,000 miles on my CRV and it runs fine and no oil consumption or damage with a high of 38.7 mpg.

Blanket statements such as yours are neither accurate or helpful.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Do you know anyone who has had damage from "destructively overfilling with oil"?

Millions of vehicles successfully serviced by dealers and running millions of miles indicate otherwise.

An example is the oil dilution issue in the CRV.. if the problem was as bad and destructive as some on here would have us believe then the roads and highways would be littered with dead CRV with blown or locked up engines.

Blanket statements such as yours are neither accurate or helpful.
You are going off on lots of tangents (turbo bearings, MPG, ect) that have no relevance to my comments, or the OP's experience, regarding dealership service.

Your owners manual specifically warns against engine oil overfilling...
"Do not fill the engine oil above the upper mark. Overfilling the engine oil may result in leaks and engine damage."

Would you consider a vehicle "successfully serviced by dealers" who put 5 qts of oil in a 3.5 qt capacity engine? I certainly wouldn't.

The fact that your engine doesn't blow up the day after being serviced by a Honda dealer doesn't mean they provided proper service.

Just as they did with the OP, the incompetent techs can send you packing with an overfilled engine and an inflated bill.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Ridiculous arguments.

Now we've devolved to bashing the "incompetent techs" at the dealerships. Sure, there may be isolated problems at any business, but I'd trust my vehicle to the dealership over the quick-change oil places with their high turnover and low wages. Local reputable garages are hard to find -- and I've even had some of them try to scam me in the past. I know I'm lucky in that my dealer does not pressure me for additional or unnecessary work, and I've compared their prices with other independent shops and other local dealers, and mine has consistently been the lowest quote.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Now we've devolved to bashing the "incompetent techs" at the dealerships. Sure, there may be isolated problems at any business, but I'd trust my vehicle to the dealership over the quick-change oil places with their high turnover and low wages. Local reputable garages are hard to find -- and I've even had some of them try to scam me in the past. I know I'm lucky in that my dealer does not pressure me for additional or unnecessary work, and I've compared their prices with other independent shops and other local dealers, and mine has consistently been the lowest quote.
I'm glad you've found a great dealership service department. But that is simply not a reality for most new car owners.

Would you agree that putting 5 quarts of oil into an engine with a 3.5 quart capacity is incompetent? People post here everyday about dealerships all over the country overfilling, despite the fact that they should be especially sensitive to oil levels, given the dilution issues.

I hate to break it to you, but your description of quick-change oil places as having "high turnover and low wages" is EXACTLY what you are getting with the dealership "techs" who change your oil! Those doing the oil changes are generally young, inexperienced, low paid with high turnover.

·
Registered
631 Posts

I am disabled and cant do my own work anymore...so can i give you a call to do it...I'll give ya a Canadian beer for the help:sweat:

1 - 20 of 118 Posts