Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my remote key stopped working. Can I fix this somehow?

Conditions -- Early AM - First cold snap, frost on windshield. .....

I could unlock my door as usual, then lock it, then open it again, and then I happened not to close door completely, (seat belt was stuck in the door a bit) and I noticed remote did not lock it. Then I shut the door properly and tried the remote again to lock it, and it did not work anymore. Nothing.

I tried my spare key, and it also did not work at all. I have tried all day, and nothing. For 9 years it has worked perfectly. Any suggestions, I am not mechanical at all.... and hope it won't cost me a lot of money to fix this. Something tells me it is not the battery on the remotes, and was a combo of the sudden cold and the door not completely closed...My car works perfectly other than that. Thank you for your expert opinions.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The battery needs replacing in the key fob. Take a look at the owners manual for your vehicle. It should tell you all about it and the kind of battery it uses. It is not difficult to change, but you do need to have the new battery on hand. Nine years is a long run for that little battery. Cheers!

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you got the seat belt caught in the door jam, possibly you have broken the door switch assembly. If it is the case,the car thinks the door is open and key fob won't lock it.

door sw..jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as the car door, it wasn't stuck really, just prevented it from closing. I have done that before. I will try the battery, but my instinct says it's not the battery. It would be weird if both keys stopped working at the same time. But first things first, I will try the battery.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
No need to program if you are just replacing the battery. Batteries+ will do it for you at much less than dealer price.

But I agree, two remotes should not both be dead that suddenly. (Unless the second one has been sitting unused in a drawer...then, you couldn't be certain that it ever worked before the incident. 9 years!)

PS, does the inside lock button lock all the doors?

I'd check that drivers door switch as mentioned. This could have been 'the straw that broke the camel's back'.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did the seatbelt knock off the rubber boot on the door latch? Simple test is to turn on your dome light to turn on when a door is open. If it stays on when you think all the doors are shut then you might have lost a little rubber boot. This happened on our passenger door where both key fobs suddenly stopped working. A rubber band fixed the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fixed! It was the battery after all. I had the hardest time getting the screw unscrewed! and only succeeded on unscrewing one fob key with the hardware store's help. (the screwdriver that worked was Stanley phillips x 2 3/8" 60.3 mm) Then I could replace the one fob key with an Energizer 1616 battery. I looked on youtube and found a guide to replace the battery. Now it works. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I really appreciate it so much.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I used to have a loose screw. Really! My '09 Accord key battery cover screw was always coming loose. Finally I put a little medium strength thread locker on the threads and that solved my loose screw. True story!

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
That little screw IS thread-locked at the factory (according to Lizzurd a few years ago). That's one reason it is difficult to release.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All ~ I am new to the site because I have a similar problem to califgirl. I recently replaced my passenger side mirror after breaking it in a parking garage. A friend did the replacement as it was pretty simple. Since then, my keyfob and door locking/unlocking does not work. The red light stays on on the fob when i hit lock or unlock. My rear lights blink yet the car does not lock nor unlock. The horn does not beep when trying to lock. I have been manually locking the door and using my remote start to unlock. I changed the battery and nothing changed. I think we may have altered something when replacing the mirror? We did need to remove the door panel partially to unplug/plug the motorized mirror. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The battery needs replacing in the key fob. Take a look at the owners manual for your vehicle. It should tell you all about it and the kind of battery it uses. It is not difficult to change, but you do need to have the new battery on hand. Nine years is a long run for that little battery. Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts