Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone just looking for advice. my CRV 2002 drivers door remote control has stopped working it locks all the other doors but not the drivers door. also using the interior door lock switch also operates all the other doors but not the drivers door. I have today put in a new actuator (from Rock autos) but still not working, Also my speedometer is not working (stuck full on) but the odometer and rev counter is and this may be a coincidence. Any advice would be really appreciated. thanks

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
448 Posts
speedometer not sure but sounds like a bad cluster if the odometer still works ,the door lock actuator may have a broken wire up and down reverses polarity so one wire is neg on lock and positive on unlock check the pins on the connector to the actuator also the dome light does turn off with the drivers door right? because if the door jamb switch is bad that may happen too , but not related to the speedometer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave, yes driver interior light door switch works. I went to scrap yard and picked up a cluster today, the only ones available were for automatic transmission and mine is manual so the cluster has the what gear you are in lights. I would like to just plug it in and see if it works but main plan is to strip the speedometer out and swap as rev and odometer work ok. I will see about the pins but am starting to wonder if the drivers mechanical door mechanism is worn. Really appreciate your advice and help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should also add that the locking would sometimes work and then next time not, hence replacing the actuator. Same the the Speedometer sometimes work mostly not though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would suspect the VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) is not sending the signal /intermittent from the transmission to the ECU causing your issue with the speedometer and not the Cluster.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would suspect the VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) is not sending the signal /intermittent from the transmission to the ECU causing your issue with the speedometer and not the Cluster.
Thanks al9000z Yes I was wondering that too. I have searched and cannot find a diagram on line that shows where that sensor is on the MANUAL gearbox vehicle only on the automatic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks al9000z Yes I was wondering that too. I have searched and cannot find a diagram on line that shows where that sensor is on the MANUAL gearbox vehicle only on the automatic.
Gearbox/Transmission

·
Registered
13 Posts
I cant post links but try this:

Google "2004 honda crv service manual pdf"

Select the link titled "Honda CR-V 2002 2003 2004 2005 - Honda Repair Manuals" (was 3rd from the top)

Ctrl-F and search for "VSS" - this tells you roughly where its located, what it should look like and how to remove it

its located under the airbox.

I would suggest testing it with a multimeter.. you can google how to test Vehicle speed sensors.

Also does your cruise control work or do you have a check engine light? if not you may have another issue but I would test the VSS with a multimeter.

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
448 Posts
Thanks Dave, yes driver interior light door switch works. I went to scrap yard and picked up a cluster today, the only ones available were for automatic transmission and mine is manual so the cluster has the what gear you are in lights. I would like to just plug it in and see if it works but main plan is to strip the speedometer out and swap as rev and odometer work ok. I will see about the pins but am starting to wonder if the drivers mechanical door mechanism is worn. Really appreciate your advice and help.
this here will show live data including vehicle speed to help diagnose the speedometer it uses an app called TORQUE to android device, as far as the lock actuator you will have to have a digital volt meter hooked up to the 2 wires that feed the actuator and see if it is loosing power ground it does reverse polarity up down so the meter will read -12.6 volts one direction and +12.6 the other I think I would have to read the wiring diagram unless its a 3 wire plug that feeds it could be a defective part same so probably not but could be a pin on the connector,also if you push the lock knob on top by the window does it work then, with the panel off wiggle wires while holding the switch https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011NSX27A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cant post links but try this:

Google "2004 honda crv service manual pdf"

Select the link titled "Honda CR-V 2002 2003 2004 2005 - Honda Repair Manuals" (was 3rd from the top)

Ctrl-F and search for "VSS" - this tells you roughly where its located, what it should look like and how to remove it

its located under the airbox.

I would suggest testing it with a multimeter.. you can google how to test Vehicle speed sensors.

Also does your cruise control work or do you have a check engine light? if not you may have another issue but I would test the VSS with a multimeter.
Thanks AL9000Z thats very helpful, will check that out. Something I just realized regarding my remote locking not working is my electric windows do not work when my drivers door is open, is this normal or do I have a bad connection? thanks again your help in this forum is what its all about. cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this here will show live data including vehicle speed to help diagnose the speedometer it uses an app called TORQUE to android device, as far as the lock actuator you will have to have a digital volt meter hooked up to the 2 wires that feed the actuator and see if it is loosing power ground it does reverse polarity up down so the meter will read -12.6 volts one direction and +12.6 the other I think I would have to read the wiring diagram unless its a 3 wire plug that feeds it could be a defective part same so probably not but could be a pin on the connector,also if you push the lock knob on top by the window does it work then, with the panel off wiggle wires while holding the switch https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011NSX27A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
thanks Dave I will have a good look, when i push the lock knob down it doesn't lock/unlock the door also via the switch on the inner door panel it doesn't lock/unlock the door. I am starting to suspect the wiring running from the interior out to the door. I will try and track the colour codes to the door actuator and wiggle those wires around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick update to anyone that's interested. I switched the cluster over with the automatic transmission cluster which has the extra lights to show which gear the car is in, (my manual transmission does not). The speedometer worked only thing was a VSA yellow warning light was on. I am considering trying to dismantle the cluster and remove/swap the speedometers, will keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
448 Posts
Quick update to anyone that's interested. I switched the cluster over with the automatic transmission cluster which has the extra lights to show which gear the car is in, (my manual transmission does not). The speedometer worked only thing was a VSA yellow warning light was on. I am considering trying to dismantle the cluster and remove/swap the speedometers, will keep you posted.
[great you have it diagnosed to be the cluster,I was thinking the VSS or a wire I thought the odometer was not changing also ,I would think the stepper motor would be the only serviceable part on the board,but if you have experience in soldering small circuit components you may be able to swap a transistor or diode or may get lucky and be a cold solder joint,here's a link to a stepper motor swap that out with the AT cluster and should be good https://www.taninautoelectronix.com/product/2001-2005-honda-civic-cr-v-8mm-front-mount-stepper-motor

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks Dave J, I took the existing cluster apart and it didn't help as still not working, does appear to be the speedometer motor that looked tricky to change so i used the one from the junk yard, its from an automatic but seems to work. I now have a problem with my electric windows not working at all but if i open and close the drivers door they work but do not work with the drivers door open. I am wondering if the main power feed to the door switches is loose. Does anyone know the colour code of that circuit. thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well after doing some thorough digging i found the problem to both electric windows not working and the remote locking. I peeled back the rubber sleeve that covers the wires to drivers door and 2 wires were broken. I repaired by soldering and both now work. The speedometer I replaced the whole cluster and it looks like it was the motor that ran the speedometer within the cluster. Thanks to everyone that offered advice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts