Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the new (to me) 2001 CR-V in Sept, the key fob that came with it had a remote opener fob. It did not work so I changed batteries with hopes that was all. It still did not work so I got a new fob which needed programming. I have not been able to get that programmed. I do what several instructions say; 1) turn key on - press lock on the remote for a second- turn key off - 2)turn key on - press lock- turn off- 3) turn key on -press lock- turn off, then press unlock and bingo. Doesn't work for me. I do it as quickly as I can. The remote has unlock, lock, rear window opener, and alarm functions, I guess the car does too!

When I press lock while doing the above, I do hear a faint click at the passenger side door. I was wondering if there may be a bad fuse or relay involved. It doe not work on the original fob either, changed batteries in both.

Any ideas? Okay, any good ideas to help?

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
348 Posts
When I did mine, the directions didn't seem to work either. I googled how to do it while in the vehicle and eventually got it after several tries. Make SURE you're using a fob specific to your CRV.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It LOOKS the same, got it from an online place I think with specifics about vehicle. Just wondering if it is something in the car itself. The FOB that came with but didn't work, and when I use the driver's side control the locks work on the other doors but sluggishly. Need to lock the driver's side with the key.

By driver's side I mean the door unlock button of the driver's side door. nothing to do with the FOB.

edit post: Just checked with Keylessentryremotefob.com and they new FOB I have is the correct one for the car. I cannot read the numbers on the old one at all. The website has directions also, same sequence of steps the other sets of programming instructions I read said with one difference: when turning off the others say to position I, this set says position O, locked.

When I press either lock or unlock on either Fob the red light on the end does light up, so apparently the batteries are okay. I just tried the new sequence, same results. I see no fuse or relay marked with any thing that say remote anything.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried to program again this morning, nothing. I have seen maybe three or four sets of instructions which are basically the same. That is good. The set if instructions that came with he remote say a first step then others do not mention, so I committed trying that.

It says the first step is to disarm the security system. It does not say how to, nor can I find any information on how to do that. If I disconnect the battery, there would be not power to the car side of the programing procedure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My new-to-me 2001 CR-V did not come with a fob, but I read here that the keyless module was inside the driver door panel. Once I confirmed it was there, I ordered a fob from the same site you did. It would not work, despite trying all the instructions I could find online (and the ones that came with the new fob I ordered).I returned it.
I wound up buying a genuine Honda used fob (ebay) for the CRV, programmed it according to online instructions, and it works great.
If your original fob is OEM Honda, did you try reprogramming with it?

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Note that there may be two remotes for the first gen CR-V.

If it has the Honda alarm system on it (like mine does), the standard remote will not work. It took me a while to find the correct one, to replace the spare remote I lost, but I eventually did, and it worked.

If there is a flashing LED on top of the steering column, that is the default location for the alarm indicator, and that would mean you have the alarm. There would also be a black bypass button down on the lower part of the dashboard, near the driver's door.

Chances are most first gen CR-Vs do not have the alarm system, so you should be OK. It was a dealer-installed accessory, which I ordered online in Aug 1997 right after we bought it.

The key to the correct remote is the FCC ID on the remote. However, on mine it was worn off from years of use. It finally took me finding a parts list for the accessory alarm before I could find my replacement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts