Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2019 Honda CRV EXL today. When I got home I tried both key fobs to remotely start the engine. I pressed lock button, saw the red LED flash on key fob, pressed and held engine circular arrow button - nothing happened. I was 10 feet away from vehicle. Is it possible remote start is disabled?disabled? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Press lock twice then press and hold engine start till the lights triple flash on the CRV. You can start the engine twice for 10 mins each time then it will not work again till you jump in the car and start it from the button on dash. It does not work if one of the FOBs is left inside the car.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,706 Posts
I just picked up a 2019 Honda CRV EXL today. When I got home I tried both key fobs to remotely start the engine. I pressed lock button, saw the red LED flash on key fob, pressed and held engine circular arrow button - nothing happened. I was 10 feet away from vehicle. Is it possible remote start is disabled?disabled? Any suggestions?
is the door or trunk open?
Press lock twice then hold the autostart button down

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
This is where the owners manual comes in handy. Keep it close for a while until you get familiar with everything. :)

Assuming the feature has been enabled (dealer should have done that for you, from a checklist of which features you want active and how)....the reason you cannot just push the remote start button and have it start is because... sometimes the buttons can and will get pushed accidentially in a pocket or purse and that would cause your car to start when you do not want it to. So they have a rather particular button process as described above.

Note: for future reference and before it happens to you... sometimes people come back to their car and find all the windows down and the sunroof open and freak out. What actually happened is something in their pocket or purse jammed up against the unlock button for multiple seconds while the fob was within range of their vehicle. I always suggest folks be mindful of accidental button pushes when the fob is in someones pocket or purse. (y)

Enjoy your new CRV. :D

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Remote start will not work if hood is not latched.

·
Registered
491 Posts
It's possible the remote start has been disabled from the touch screen. Go to Vehicle/ Keyless Access Setup/ Remote Start and check whether system is On or Off.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Trade it in...

Reactions: oetbyg

·
Registered
236 Posts
So tired of complaints when you’ve never looked at the owners manual!
Amen to that! It's frustrating (not only here but on so many other automotive forums) that people don't "research" on their own by reading their owner's manual carefully from cover to cover (I ALWAYS read the manual cover to cover when I get a new vehicle, even if it's a "used" one to familiarize myself with all the functions, etc. It's also good to try the different procedures/instructions in the manual to see how things work.) Yet, they complain about things not working when 90% of the time, it's THEIR FAULT! Come on, people! These are not your grandpa's '60's car. These are sophisticated vehicles with so many computerized systems. What, do you think airline pilots today don't familiarize themselves with a new aircraft? Just because these vehicles have 4 wheels and an engine up front doesn't mean it functions like a '71 Mustang, ok?

·
Registered
114 Posts
[/QUOT
**Remote start should be simple to operate: Point the Fob at the CRV. Press the Fob lock button; turn signal lights & lights on the outside mirror housing on the CRV will flash. Then press the Fob button with the circular arrow on it; the CRV lights will flash again & the engine should start. (On my 2017 I have to hold the start button for a second or so. If I just quickly press it and let go it won't start.) If this does not work take it back to your salesman and ask him to demonstrate how it works.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't need to press the lock button twice before depressing the hold button. I do know if there's too long of a pause between button presses, it won't work.
True enough if it's locked. If not, remote start won't work until all doors and tailgate are locked. That's why the instructions say to press twice (to make sure it's locked) and then hold.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know if anybody is looking at this but.. we just picked up a new 2019 EX-L and I had the exact same experience with the remote start. We also have a 2017 Ridgeline and I'm quite familiar with the remote start procedure. Well, no matter how many times I tried the Lock - Start button sequence, all the car would do is sit there and stare at me. This was two days ago. Today, after searching for possible answers on the internet and coming up empty, I told my wife "let's try your key fob and see what happens". Voila!! The car started!!! OK, now let's try mine. Voila!! The car started!! Now you go figure it out?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So tired of complaints when you’ve never looked at the owners manual!
Then how about you don't read them! Perhaps you have no understanding of the fact that some have lost their manual, purchased a used vehicle without the manual, or the question being asked is not in the manual. Lighten up or don't bother being on the forum.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Looks like Ol' Nick here doesn't have a internet connection anymore.

Perhaps St Nick will give you one for Christmas!

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
Then how about you don't read them! Perhaps you have no understanding of the fact that some have lost their manual, purchased a used vehicle without the manual, or the question being asked is not in the manual. Lighten up or don't bother being on the forum.
Lighten up, you say. I find that a bit ironic, considering you appear to have created an account just to rant about the critique. :)

Manuals from Honda are ALL available online as PDFs. In addition, Honda also publishes little video how-tos for virtually every common feature in their vehicles. This is exceptionally true for new Hondas, which is what the original poster is posting about.

It's one thing if what the manual says is unclear or the vehicle appears to work differently than described. That is precisely a good aspect of enthusiast forums like this one. It is entirely another thing to simply spam up the internet with constant demands for information which is easily available directly from Honda online. ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just changed the fob battery and a point of caution.... since it was my first time to remove the battery, I accidentally pulled the circuit board out too and thus dislodged the buttons... I discovered that the buttons can be dislodged when dropped hard or poked hard by keys.... If you have dropped the fob make sure to check the buttons if it was not misaligned... or stuck. (this could also be a reason some had their windows all opened.... )

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
I just changed the fob battery and a point of caution.... since it was my first time to remove the battery, I accidentally pulled the circuit board out too and thus dislodged the buttons... I discovered that the buttons can be dislodged when dropped hard or poked hard by keys.... If you have dropped the fob make sure to check the buttons if it was not misaligned... or stuck. (this could also be a reason some had their windows all opened.... )
I just changed my fob battery as well. I already knew from the instructions to make sure to keep the button side down and flat on a surface when using the key to gently wedge the fob apart (personally I use a appropriate sized flatblade screwdriver as it is eaiser and more precise). That way the buttons are much less likely to get misaligned in the battery changing process.

I found the most annoying part about Honda Keyfobs is that the little plastic tabs that hold the battery in place need to be gently pried enough for the battery to pop out.. and you have to do with with the two outer tabs at the same time or it can be a real chore to get the battery free. I give them credit for making sure the battery is very snuggly held in place.. since keyfobs do get dropped at times. Certainly don't want to break one of those tabs in the process.. so I make sure to be tender about it. I keep all our keyfobs in silicone sleeves so that they are mush less likely to get buttons knocked around when the fob is dropped. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.