Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2020 CR-V Touring. When I remote start the vehicle it does not heat up the interior. My 2005 Mazda with after-market remote start would be nice and toasty after running this way so I expect my brand new vehicle to be just as good. I can run it for 1 or 2 cycles so up to 20mins and the car is still cold. Sometimes the steering wheel is on and sometimes not, I believe this has to do with the outside temp. Steering wheel never seems to get very warm ever even when driving. Can someone tell me what the outside temp it has to be for the heated seats and heated steering wheel to come on? The seats do not seem to heat up with remote start. I'd like some feedback from 2019 and 2020 owners regarding remote start in cold weather and if you feel that your interior heats up or if I can expect to drive a cold car due to the 1.5 engine. Dealership told me it is performing as intended and that they cant find anything wrong.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The auto start aims for an ambient temp of 72
if its under 40 out it will warm seats and defrosters.

with that being said....
Is ten minutes enought time for a cold crv to get to 72 , no.

i autostart basically every single time i drive the car, in 100 degree florida or -10 in nj during a blizzard. If its freezing i’ll do it for 20 minutes and on e in the car its not hot but confortable and once moving warms up quickly

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2020 CR-V Touring. When I remote start the vehicle it does not heat up the interior. My 2005 Mazda with after-market remote start would be nice and toasty after running this way so I expect my brand new vehicle to be just as good. I can run it for 1 or 2 cycles so up to 20mins and the car is still cold. Sometimes the steering wheel is on and sometimes not, I believe this has to do with the outside temp. Steering wheel never seems to get very warm ever even when driving. Can someone tell me what the outside temp it has to be for the heated seats and heated steering wheel to come on? The seats do not seem to heat up with remote start. I'd like some feedback from 2019 and 2020 owners regarding remote start in cold weather and if you feel that your interior heats up or if I can expect to drive a cold car due to the 1.5 engine. Dealership told me it is performing as intended and that they cant find anything wrong.
I totally agree with you these cold winter days and nights even if I auto start 2 times still doesn’t move the heat gauge

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
The experts say, start the car and drive is the fastest east way to warm-up the motor, which warms the cabin.

The current issue of CR magazine has a very short article titled “The High Cost of Idling”. From the article.....”eliminating unnecessary engine idling of personal vehicles would reduce emissions and save as much fuel as taking 5 million vehicles off U.S. roads”. The article sites remote starting and drive-thru windows as major culprits. I disagree.....the major culprit is the vehicle operator.😱

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Have you tried “manual mode” (HVAC)?......”auto mode” most likely runs the a/c compressor, which runs the electric radiator fans. In “manual mode” the “start the motor and drive“ method works well, especially with temp set to HI, a/c off, recirculate, low fan speed, floor vent selected.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Interesting that your Mazda heated the interior nicely while it idled from a cold start.

I live in a moderate climate with no extremes. I've owned several vehicles in my time and none of them was able to blow warm air inside the cabin from a cold start no matter how long they sat idling until I drove at least a block or two, which is when the engine warmed up enough to actually create enough heat to feel it. That said, I've never owned a luxury vehicle so I cannot speak for them.

Now, the engine compartment in the late model Vs are as open as a 1950's car. An extreme opposite of the engine bays of the vehicles from the last few decades. IMO, that releases heat faster than it can build up, at least at idle. This is likely a contributor to your experience.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
This is the 1st car I’ve owned that both the top AND bottom of the motor are covered. The bottom side of the engine/tranny on our ‘09 RAV4 is totally exposed/open.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I totally agree with you these cold winter days and nights even if I auto start 2 times still doesn’t move the heat gauge
Keep in mind... the temperature gauge on the gen5 CRV is a bit deceptive. It does not show the first bar until the engine is at around 130 F.. and reaches normal full temperature indication (ie: half way up the temperature gauge at around 160-170 F. see this post Benefits of Remote-Start in cold regions

In other words.. the gauge is a poor indicator of linear temperature rise from cold start to fully warm... and the vehicle is essentially warm when the first tick mark on the gauge appears.

You will likely find this thread helpful for you: Benefits of Remote-Start in cold regions

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yup. Exactly as intended.
In order to burn off excess fuel that was diluting the oil in 2017, 2018, 2019 CR-V's and Civics, Honda made modifications to the ECU which resulted in all the heat staying in the engine and not the heaters, cabin, or windows.
Apparently, the 'fix' they applied to later models was the same one that older models got with the 'service update'
I could leave my recently traded-in2018 CR-V running for 12 hours at idle and it would not raise the interior temperature a single degree. Nor would it clear the windows of fog and/or ice. Real nice loving in New England.
Between THAT and having to change my oil every 2500 miles (per Honda's advice), I traded mine in (last Honda I'll ever buy) before the engine tore itself apart from lack of lubrication.
My new non-Honda heats up just fine at idle. Even though it has a 1.6L turbo engine. Which Honda blames for their vehicles lack of heat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Last month, I drove my 2019 at 30 mph for several miles when it was 40 degrees outside before the temperature gauge started moving. The best way to warm these cold-blooded beasts is to use sport mode and try to engage the turbocharger as much as possible.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just bought a 2020 CR-V Touring. When I remote start the vehicle it does not heat up the interior.
So the 2020 is the same as the 2017. If you drive somewhere and idle for a few minutes you'll also notice your temp drops off the gauge. You need to rev up to about 2,000 RPM to get any heat out, idling at 900 RPM does nothing. When the car first came out it was much worse, they actually increased the cold idle with a software update and replaced the climate control module. Even driving it you'd freeze your behind off before these changes.

-Ron

·
Registered
26 Posts
In order to burn off excess fuel that was diluting the oil in 2017, 2018, 2019 CR-V's and Civics, Honda made modifications to the ECU which resulted in all the heat staying in the engine and not the heaters, cabin, or windows.
Apparently, the 'fix' they applied to later models was the same one that older models got with the 'service update'
I could leave my recently traded-in2018 CR-V running for 12 hours at idle and it would not raise the interior temperature a single degree. Nor would it clear the windows of fog and/or ice. Real nice loving in New England.
Between THAT and having to change my oil every 2500 miles (per Honda's advice), I traded mine in (last Honda I'll ever buy) before the engine tore itself apart from lack of lubrication.
My new non-Honda heats up just fine at idle. Even though it has a 1.6L turbo engine. Which Honda blames for their vehicles lack of heat.
I agree Honda has become the most screwed up automotive manufacturer ever. Like you after 45 years of driving nothing but Honda’s I will never buy another Honda. I made the mistake of purchasing a 2019 CR-V, hate it. We have a 2006 Pilot with 200,000 miles it is a great SUV.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
This post is hilarious.......a WTF moment. How does heat “stay in the engine and not the heaters”? Engine coolant flows thru the heater core the moment the engine is started. How many “heaters” are there?

Leave a car idling for 12 hours?.......really?

”Change my oil every 2500 miles”.......was that Honda’s advice or your dealership’s advise?.....dealerships will do anything to relieve you of your money. I’m surprised they didn’t tell you change every 1000 miles. Would you fall for it?

Are you saying “Honda blames their vehicles lack of heat” due to the size of the motor????......really?🤦‍♂️

It’s yep, not yup.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

You are exaggerating here and distorting the facts of the updates.

The updates by Honda were to address poor cabin heating more so than engine temperature induced OD.

My 2017, which has never had any ECU updates, gives preference in cabin heating over engine temperature. I can easily observe this in 30ish degree weather here in the winter mornings.. when my CRV begins blowing warm air after about 3-of the engine being turned on and driving.. even though the temperature gauge has yet to display any tick marks. Sitting idling... it takes more like 5 or 6 minutes before the heat begins blowing in the cabin (climate control is on automatic and set for 70 degrees). If I lived in colder weather.. I would likely need the Honda updates to my CRV to get the same results in much colder weather.

Since you are now CRV free.. maybe it is time to bury the hatchet rather than to keep grinding it into the forum. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Although we are new owners of a 2020 CRV Touring and haven't used the remote start yet. I am instead responding because, just this morning for the first time, I used remote start on our 2018 Ridgeline RTLE. It was about 28 degrees with light snow on the truck and ground. After about 15 minutes I came out and found the ice and snow melted off the windshield, the side mirrors were clear of ice. When I sat down in the vehicle, I noticed the seats were slightly warm and the steering wheel was a little warm. The air felt warmer than outside, but wasn't what I would call cozy. I noticed the temp gauge pointer was all the way at the bottom. After briefly stopping the engine and restarting so I could drive, the air changed to how I normally have it and was indeed warmer than it was during remote start. The truck warmed up much quicker than usual from that point forward. I can see how it would not be very effective in sub-zero freezing temps, though I am certain it would be better than hopping into an ice cold car or truck. I will continue using it whenever I can on both vehicles.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
You need to let it idle for 12 hours, maybe longer. LOL😉

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Hey snowflakes........it’s winter. Suck it up, put your big boy/girl pants on (and your jacket). Get in that ice cold car/truck, start it, let the engine rpm drop to 1100-1200, and DRIVE. Quit wasting gas, polluting the air, idling. And if the glass is not clear of snow/ice, clear it.

From post #4.......

The current issue of CR magazine has a very short article titled “The High Cost of Idling”. From the article.....”eliminating unnecessary engine idling of personal vehicles would reduce emissions and save as much fuel as taking 5 million vehicles off U.S. roads”. The article sites remote starting and drive-thru windows as major culprits. I disagree.....the major culprit is the vehicle operator.😱

·
Registered
309 Posts
Consider please that heat in the coolant is wasted energy from the gasoline. The less thermally efficient a car powerplant is, the more waste heat it produces. One of the side effects, good for all purposes but heating the interior, of a 1.5L engine that produces 190HP and still gets, in our experience, low-to-mid 30 MPG pulling around a 1-3/4 ton vehicle is that it has a higher thermal efficiency than older, less efficient, cars.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts