Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Some drivers were stuck on I-78 for up to 24 hours between Feb. 14 and Feb. 17, 2007.
We had 600 people stuck where a sudden drop of a major snowstorm flooded a valley and people crossing it before the army showed up and dug them out. Luckily no-one froze to death. Bus drivers offered hot drinks to everybody and people teamed up in general to get out of it alive.

·
Registered
523 Posts
My remote start does not activate the seat heaters. A post on another thread claimed “full cabin heat “ in 1.5 miles at 5F temperature with no pre-start. I don’t believe it, and I had 6F here Friday morning , so I paid attention. Did a 1 minute remote start. After 1.5 miles, no temperature indicator and no perceived heat. After 2.1 miles, the first temperature bar illuminated but I couldn’t feel any heat with blower on 3. At around 3.5 miles I had the gauge half way to normal temperature, and I could feel heat , but not what you would consider warm. Mile 7, I’m still not comfortable warm, my toes are really cold, and I have winter clothing on. Decending a 3/4 mile down hill, the temperature gauge goes to no bars, and I arrive at my destination 8.1 miles total. Cabin is moderately “warm”. Temperature gauge with. 1 bar showing, and my feet are really cold.
This was all with settings set to blow down low. It’s a shame they didn’t design the heat to blow on the driver’s feet. If it wasn’t for the electric seat heater, I would have sold this vehicle, the first winter.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Forget to add; Where I live, we have a predominately heating needed year. 8 of 12 months are heating months. So if you lack empathy, envision buying a new car in Miami without a good AC.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I did try remote start for 2 or 3 minutes the other day on my 2020 model (15 degrees F). Drivers seat and steering wheel were warm When I entered the car. Fan blows on high and no interior heat after 3 minutes preheating but I did not expect it. Seat and steering wheel heater turned off when I put it in gear but they were warm enough and the fan speed dropped to low. By the time I was 2 miles along a side street, fan speed increased a bit and was blowing warm air, temp gauge was up a few bars. The car was comfortably warm inside, 2 or 3 miles beyond that point, temp up to full operating via the guage.
ps. Only had light boots and jacket, no gloves, fairly heavy snow and medium wind blowing at the time.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
I see 130F coolant temp and 80F dash vent temp, when the needle first appears (temp HI, fan LO, manual mode). Maybe a couple of miles driven at most. I can feel warm air from the vent with my bare hand. 🤷‍♂️ Ambient was 25F this A.M.

·
Registered
523 Posts
For those of you claiming the seat heaters run with remote start: Are you sure? On an EX model? Mine definitely doesn’t. Mine seems to turn on after you press the brake pedal and press the start switch.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I see 130F coolant temp and 80F dash vent temp, when the needle first appears (temp HI, fan LO, manual mode). Maybe a couple of miles driven at most. I can feel warm air from the vent with my bare hand. 🤷‍♂️ Ambient was 25F this A.M.
(y)

So.. while I do not live in a cold state or province.. we do get low 30s here in the dead of winter in the early morning. In these circumstances... I simply start the CRV, and then drive away.... on my morning in town trip. ~3 minutes after I start the vehicle.. I will begin to hear the climate control system crank up the fan and it will put priority on window defrost for a minute or two and then it begins blowing air from both the floor and dash vents. It's very consistent in this, only varying by a minute or two.. depending on how soon I am out on the road driving. I generally see the first tick mark on the heat gauge about 4 to 5 minutes in on a low 30s morning.

If I lived in a cold snowy province or state.. I would be using a block heater.. regardless of what vehicle I own.. for the simple reason that it reduces overall stresses on the vehicle engine moving through extreme temperature differences internally. Even a small engine like the 1.5T is still a huge temperature sink... sitting overnight in very cold weather it is going to be saturated with cold until it warms up from combustion. I suppose a warm garage (ie: 40 degrees or better controlled heating) in conjunction with a short remote start cycle would work equally well.

·
Registered
452 Posts
For those of you claiming the seat heaters run with remote start: Are you sure? On an EX model? Mine definitely doesn’t. Mine seems to turn on after you press the brake pedal and press the start switch.
Is it below 40 F outside? None of the heating is activated if the temp is above that.
Here's what the Owners Manual says about Remote Start:
Auto Start.JPG

* Not available on all models.

Note that only the driver's seat is activated on the Low setting (I suspect to avoid draining the battery during engine idle). Also, the seat heater switch light does not illuminate during this time.

When you press the brake pedal and start switch, you de-activate remote start mode, and the seat heater reverts to the setting when the car was last shut down. (e.g. If seat heater was left on Med heat when car was last shut down, if will revert to Med heat when remote start ends. If it was previously Off, it will revert to Off.)

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
(y)

So.. while I do not live in a cold state or province.. we do get low 30s here in the dead of winter in the early morning. In these circumstances... I simply start the CRV, and then drive away.... on my morning in town trip. ~3 minutes after I start the vehicle.. I will begin to hear the climate control system crank up the fan and it will put priority on window defrost for a minute or two and then it begins blowing air from both the floor and dash vents. It's very consistent in this, only varying by a minute or two.. depending on how soon I am out on the road driving. I generally see the first tick mark on the heat gauge about 4 to 5 minutes in on a low 30s morning.

If I lived in a cold snowy province or state.. I would be using a block heater.. regardless of what vehicle I own.. for the simple reason that it reduces overall stresses on the vehicle engine moving through extreme temperature differences internally. Even a small engine like the 1.5T is still a huge temperature sink... sitting overnight in very cold weather it is going to be saturated with cold until it warms up from combustion. I suppose a warm garage (ie: 40 degrees or better controlled heating) in conjunction with a short remote start cycle would work equally well.
From what you have described, you must be using hvac "AUTO" mode. I'll have to try that again, sometime, but will probably quickly switch back to "manual" mode. I think I can count the number of times I've used "auto" mode on 1 finger. LOL. The wifey and I don't like/use "auto" mode on either of our vehicles. We just don't like someone else's (factory) "auto" mode parameters/settings....we like to be more in control.👌

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
From what you have described, you must be using hvac "AUTO" mode. I'll have to try that again, sometime, but will probably quickly switch back to "manual" mode. I think I can count the number of times I've used "auto" mode on 1 finger. LOL. The wifey and I don't like/use "auto" mode on either of our vehicles. We just don't like someone else's (factory) "auto" mode parameters/settings....we like to be more in control.👌
Yep.. after being skeptical of Auto mode and not using it for the first year.. I tried it and really liked it. :)

So I use it all the time now.. even though there are a few times when I think it is being overly aggressive with the blower settings... but it does settle down eventually. :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2018 CRV Touring. It is the first car I have had that has auto start (I have had 3 Lexus models and an Acura). So, I keep forgetting to use the auto-start. The popular responses above seem to indicate that auto-start is not designed to warm up the interior. If that is the case, what is the point of having that feature at all?
Go to the posts on this forum RE no heat. It should heat the cabin, that is why it has that feature. It doesn't because the engine will not warm up while idling when it is cold out. Honda is telling those of us who live in cold climates that no heat is normal. Mine will only get warm if driven at highway speeds (18 EXL) as soon as I exit the highway, the engine temp drops.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Put a piece of black tape over the bottom 2/3 of the dash gauge. Maybe not seeing engine temp will make cabin temp seem a little warmer.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
“Auto Mode”........a/c being added to heat in the winter and heat being added to a/c in the summer. Seems a little oxymoronic........no? (being facetious)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know I may be a little late to comment on the comments a couple of pages back concerning the features we don't get that they do in Canada, but . . . the other day I looked at something else on the inside of the driver's side door and what did I find? My 2018 CRV Touring AWD was (wait for it) made in Canada! Talk about adding insult to injury.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts