Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I purchased a 2019 CRV a while back and just wondering if anyone has a solution to this problem. When the temperature drops to -15 for example, I would remote start my vehicle for a good 5 minutes get in and its still cold as hell and the coolant gauge is sitting at 0. It would only increase once I would start driving making the remote start pointless.

Just wondering if anyone has a solution/advice to this issue. I have noticed that when started the shutters close then open back up for a routine check but then stay open. I have read mixed reports of people saying it should be closed/ its only for aredynamics.

Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Unfortunately that seems to be the nature of the 1.5L Turbo engine. The general consensus seems to be that only by driving will the engine heat up. Some drive in "S" mode for a few miles to keep the engine rpms higher

Sent from my Samsung Tab A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Coolant gauge literally never shows any light bars until the engine reaches ~140 degrees (170-180 is full temperature and shows bars just under half maxiumum on the gen5 CRVs).
So the gauge is misleading in that regard to an owner that does not know this.

The 1.5T engine is so efficient it literally does not warm quickly sitting at idle in cold weather. Driving is the better method to warm quicker. Or.. some owners in a cold weather states install a block heater element and set it run it for a couple hours before normal starting time (and the engine will in fact be fairly warm on startup).

The Shutters are always open if the AC unit is active.. and it can in fact be active even in cold weather if the cabin environmental controls are on Auto because AC is used to blow cold air to defog the front windshield. You can over ride that by putting climate control on manual... but you may have issues with a foggy windshield interior.

There are a couple of active threads covering this topic that you can get some of your questions answered from reading, as well as some advice on how to improve warm up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coolant gauge literally never shows any light bars until the engine reaches ~140 degrees (170-180 is full temperature and shows bars just under half maxiumum on the gen5 CRVs).
So the gauge is misleading in that regard to an owner that does not know this.

The 1.5T engine is so efficient it literally does not warm quickly sitting at idle in cold weather. Driving is the better method to warm quicker. Or.. some owners in a cold weather states install a block heater element and set it run it for a couple hours before normal starting time (and the engine will in fact be fairly warm on startup).

The Shutters are always open if the AC unit is active.. and it can in fact be active even in cold weather if the cabin environmental controls are on Auto because AC is used to blow cold air to defog the front windshield. You can over ride that by putting climate control on manual... but you may have issues with a foggy windshield interior.

There are a couple of active threads covering this topic that you can get some of your questions answered from reading, as well as some advice on how to improve warm up.
Awesome thanks for the information! I never thought the AC would be used as a defog...previous vehicle was a 04 with just manual climate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts