Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an aftermarket remote start system for my 2013 crv. When I remote start, the heating/cooling units don’t turn in. Even if I didn’t turn them off the last time I drove the car and left them on, they don’t turn back on with remote start. The only way they turn on is when I turn the key to the “on” position. That defeats the purpose. What am I doing wrong? I can’t find any information on this

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Letting the motor idle is the slowest way to heat the cabin......driving is the quickest way to heat up the motor/cabin.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Letting the motor idle is the slowest way to heat the cabin......driving is the quickest way to heat up the motor/cabin.
That is what I have heard as well. Best way to warm it up is driving moves fluids around that sitting still doesn't.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
All of the fluids are moving the moment the engine is started. The fluids move faster when driving vs idling. More heat is transferred faster (to the engine coolant and the heater core) when driving vs idling.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Before you say "duh",,,,,,,,,

1. What temp heat are you expecting (how much, how soon)?
2. On what settings do you have the HVAC controls?
3. Are the radiator efans running?
4. What is the ambient temp?
5. Do you start feeling heat after you start driving?
6. How do you think the heat gets from under the hood to inside the cabin?
7. How long do you let it sit idling?🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing comes in whatsoever. It was 40degrees this morning and I used the remote start and let it sit 5mins. Got into my car and none of the heating elements were on

·
Registered
218 Posts
Does your crv remembers the last setting it was on if you just start it normally? Try not using the auto setting. We never use the auto.
Either that or your remote starter resetting things. Our 2008 and 2016 crv remembers the last settings when we remote start it. It is toasty warm went to get in at winter times.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Does a ‘13 CRV have a heater control valve in one of the heater hoses? If so, and the HVAC is off, there will be no warm coolant flowing to/thru the heater core. No heater control valve, coolant will be flowing to/thru the heater core the moment the motor starts, regardless of the HVAC setting.

Was there no blast of heat when you got Into the car, turned on the HVAC and started driving? Answering all the questions in post #6 would be beneficial to answering the question in the OP.

Before turning the car off at the end of the day, set the temp control to maximum and the blower speed to minimum.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I did a web search on "2013 honda remote start manual" which found a link to this manual:

Page 27 talks about what happens if automatic climate control is engage, which looks like:

below 45.5°F (7.5°C) - activates defroster and rear window heater, and mirror heaters if equipped.
45.5°F (7.5°C) or above - activates A/C at 72°F (22°C)

At the bottom of that page it says:

When this function is deactivated, the air conditioner will function in the last set mode before exiting the car.
Page 28 has the steps to check the status of the function.
Page 29 has the steps for setting the activating the function.

So maybe deactivate it and then leave the Auto set to your desired temp?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Before turning the car off for the day, set HVAC to manual (not auto), temp to max, blower to min, then turn the motor off.🤷‍♂️ Worth a try.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does your crv remembers the last setting it was on if you just start it normally? Try not using the auto setting. We never use the auto.
Either that or your remote starter resetting things. Our 2008 and 2016 crv remembers the last settings when we remote start it. It is toasty warm went to get in at winter times.
If I leave the heater on and turn off the car, when I turn the car back on (w/o remote start) the heater turns on. But if I remote start the car, the heater doesn’t turn on until I turn the key to “on”. Not sure if the heater isn’t turning on because the outside temp has to be at a certain temp.
And also, when I remote start, the outside air temp display on my dash doesn’t show up. But that only happens with remote start

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did a web search on "2013 honda remote start manual" which found a link to this manual:

Page 27 talks about what happens if automatic climate control is engage, which looks like:

below 45.5°F (7.5°C) - activates defroster and rear window heater, and mirror heaters if equipped.
45.5°F (7.5°C) or above - activates A/C at 72°F (22°C)

At the bottom of that page it says:

Page 28 has the steps to check the status of the function.
Page 29 has the steps for setting the activating the function.

So maybe deactivate it and then leave the Auto set to your desired temp?
Thank you for your research! Although I don’t have a Honda factory remote starter, this may be very helpful

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
So.......after 5 minutes idling, you have heat when you turn the key to on, correct?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So.......after 5 minutes idling, you have heat when you turn the key to on, correct?
No. When I turn the key to on, I still have to push the climate control button. Even if I left it on the last time I drove the car. The only thing this remote start is doing is turning the engine on. Once I turn the key to on, I still need to select the heater button and then It takes a good 3-4 mins to heat up

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
So.........no heat can be felt at a dash vent for 8-9 minutes of engine running at idle time? I’d bet money heat could be felt at 8-9 minutes of driving time.😉

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Same way with a/c?.......key must be on?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts