Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,166 Posts
DO explain. we all are curious

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DO explain. we all are curious
I have the Hybrid so when remote starting it starts the electric motor instead of the engine.

If you have a hybrid it will turn on the engine when it needs to turn on the engine.
True but I was wondering if there was a way to warm the engine up with the remote start apart from having to drive it

·
The. Mod. Erator.
7,131 Posts
I was wondering if there was a way to warm the engine up with the remote start apart from having to drive it
No engine warms up idling.

It needs to be driven.

Reactions: tglenn

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
718 Posts
I have the Hybrid so when remote starting it starts the electric motor instead of the engine.

True but I was wondering if there was a way to warm the engine up with the remote start apart from having to drive it
I don’t know of any car manufacturer that recommends letting a modern car engine warm up by idling. It’s better to start the car and drive.

·
Registered
114 Posts
As far as I’m aware, this will automatically happen in cold weather conditions if you use remote start and have the climate control set to a warmer temperature. The engine will run more often to heat the interior.

For safety, one should only do this when parked outdoors.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,255 Posts
"For safety, one should only do this when parked outdoors."

I've always thought the hybrid should have a way to detect, or to be told, that it's in an enclosed area and to not start the ICE under any circumstances.
Way too easy to "start" it in a closed garage, forgetting it might fire up the ICE later if it feels the need.
Maybe an ambient air CO detector?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Why do you want the ICE (the traditional engine) to come on? I can see when it is cold and you want the engine warm and then the cabin warm. But in the summer you want the battery to start the electronics and, as long as the battery has enough juice, to run off the battery until it needs the ICE to charge the hybrid battery.

Having had hybrids for maybe 10 years, I just let the electronic smarts do their thing controlling when and which engines to run.

·
Registered
2021 Honda CRV Hybrid EX
41 Posts
Having had hybrids for maybe 10 years, I just let the electronic smarts do their thing controlling when and which engines to run.
I have noticed a general theme for all forums on any topic/product, including this one about Honda CRV, ones about iPhones or whatever tech product, etc: anyone obsessive enough to join a forum about a product (sometimes that means us!) will often be completely incapable of leaving things alone and just using the product. Hybrid drivers try to micromanage the engine or CC with trickery. iPhone users STILL incorrectly believe they need to “close apps”.

It is like staring at the window glass instead of seeing through the window.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V EX-L Hybrid
78 Posts
You should never warm up the engine by idling it does not really warm up and just sits there running under temp for a prolonged amount of time. This is not good for piston and cylinder wear. Just drive it to warm it up. Put on a coat, turn on the seat heaters, and go.

interestingly enough the hybrid battery performance and engine performance suffer greatly when cold. This is why many hybrid drivers who drive city stop/go driving for short distances note a major drop in fuel efficiency in the winter. Me personally I see a 7-9 MPG drop from summer to winter. 40-41 in the summer and 33 in the winter usually. Nothing you can do, things take time to warm up.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,255 Posts
A lot of that winter mileage drop is due to running the ICE to heat the cabin even after everything's warmed up.
A little more is due to winter blend fuels in areas that use them.
Plus snowy roads don't generally give you great mileage. If you have winter tires that will cost a little mileage as well.
I agree. The seat heaters are great.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
6,638 Posts
The Honda iMMD hybrid drive system is elegant, efficient and fully automated, other than a few preference variables that any particular driver might prefer. It is the outcome of more than 15 years of evolutions in design at Honda for the hybrid class of motor vehicles.

General comment, not directed at anyone specifically:
I really do not get this persistent need/desire to over-ride Honda designs by manual intervention or forced modification. Modern Hondas, really all brands, are complex highly integrated sets of sensors, electronics, mechanical systems, and fluids all carefully working in concert under the design direction of Honda engineering to realize a desired driving outcome. And messing with one thing can very easily cause a cascade of issues within a vehicle.

I am of the school of ... don't mess with something that is not broken.. no matter how you may think or desire it should work" camp of modern motor vehicle drivers. Seriously.... leave automated systems on automatic... they work that way for a reason. In the case of the hybrid CRV... it works to optimize fuel economy over a wide range of driving conditions and if you tamper with it..... if you can even tamper with it... your results will very likely be inferior to what Honda has configured.

/two cents and a nickel. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts