Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wheel wells are badly in need of some undercoating:
G7Jmsdj.jpg

Would it be a good idea to remove the arched plastic trim/fender directly above the wheels, so I can thoroughly clean the wheel well with a strong APC before undercoating? There is definitely trapped/baked dirt behind that trim.
z1U6aR2.jpg

If so, I can remove the standard screws on the side but what about this strange looking screw in the middle? What tool would I need?
mCQ9LNv.jpg

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Any place that sells tools should sell torx head screwdrivers. A set is not that expensive and you'll use them more than you might think !! They're sized in increments of 5 - 15, 20, 25 etc., etc. Craig

·
Banned
806 Posts
I had my truck sprayed at the dealership and I removed the plastic liners in the rear. The liners in the rear were an added accessory. I also power washed the underside really good a day before and parked it to allow it to dry. With it being colder more time may be needed for drying. When I brought it in, I'm pretty sure they put it on a lift and power washed it again. Not every place may take the time to wash the underside. Just a recommendation if you're going to have it done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had my truck sprayed at the dealership and I removed the plastic liners in the rear. The liners in the rear were an added accessory. I also power washed the underside really good a day before and parked it to allow it to dry. With it being colder more time may be needed for drying. When I brought it in, I'm pretty sure they put it on a lift and power washed it again. Not every place may take the time to wash the underside. Just a recommendation if you're going to have it done.
Yes, it would be ideal if I could have a professional do it cheaply, but my dealership has let me down in the past, and I don't trust them anymore. :(

I won't have the luxury of using a lift, nor will I go through the hassle of taking off the wheels. I'll just clean one well at a time, make sure it's completely dry, cover the tires and other areas, and spray the well with a couple of layers of undercoating, ten minutes between each layer.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Yes, it would be ideal if I could have a professional do it cheaply, but my dealership has let me down in the past, and I don't trust them anymore. :(

I won't have the luxury of using a lift, nor will I go through the hassle of taking off the wheels. I'll just clean one well at a time, make sure it's completely dry, cover the tires and other areas, and spray the well with a couple of layers of undercoating, ten minutes between each layer.
Any dealership will do it, or refer you to who they have do it. Call a dealership that you feel good about, even if it is a non Honda dealer. It is relatively cheap to have done. The last one I had done was a full size pickup. I want to say it cost $200. They do more than just the wheel wells. They do the underside too. I had a Chevrolet dealership do my GMC. And I didn't buy it from them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any dealership will do it, or refer you to who they have do it. Call a dealership that you feel good about, even if it is a non Honda dealer. It is relatively cheap to have done. The last one I had done was a full size pickup. I want to say it cost $200. They do more than just the wheel wells. They do the underside too. I had a Chevrolet dealership do my GMC. And I didn't buy it from them.
Would be nice to get the underside done, too. I'll do some research to see who can do a good job in my area.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts

If you won't go through the hassle of removing the wheels and are doing it on the cheap, why even do it at all?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you won't go through the hassle of removing the wheels and are doing it on the cheap, why even do it at all?
Sorry, I should of said that it wasn't a hassle---I do want to get the job done right---but that I lack the tools and the space (I live in an apartment) to do it conveniently. And I probably shouldn't say cheap either, since I already went ahead and bought five cans of undercoating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts