Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I unknowingly left a gallon of milk in the back seat of my car and unfortunately some of it spilled last night. Woke up this morning and saw some of the runoff in my driveway. Does anyone know what's the best way to clean this? It went straight thru the seat wedge, down into the carpet(directly underneath the rear bench) and came out thru some hole underneath the car. Do I need to remove the rear seats to get to that carpeting?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Here's an idea, go take it to a shop, a detailer. Who leaves a gallon of milk in the car? Clearly you don't know what you're doing.
OneSlowHonda: Your post is why we need a "no thanks" button.

MangoConChili: With it being high summer, you should know in a day or so if there's any sour milk left because the smell will be very noticeable. Years ago, one of my kids left a half-gallon of ice cream in the trunk and being summer, the smell was horrific in the cabin of the car. Hope you don't have to remove those seats!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Nothing worse than the smell of sour milk in a hot car. A friend of mine had a real bad experience with an ex-girlfriend and a milkshake in June in Virginia Beach back in the 70's that I will never forget. I think he ended up having to have the carpeting replaced in that car.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Man got to love forums,

97 I simply removed my seat they were not hard to do.

tough stuff is cleaner try to spray maybe do your best to get a rag on it if not look for the bolts to get to ... Not by the car or care to take ours apart but that you are going to have to figure out. I would say to the other poster wish you the ebst when its your turn Lol

·
Registered
653 Posts
Man got to love forums,

97 I simply removed my seat they were not hard to do.

tough stuff is cleaner try to spray maybe do your best to get a rag on it if not look for the bolts to get to ... Not by the car or care to take ours apart but that you are going to have to figure out. I would say to the other poster wish you the ebst when its your turn Lol
We cleaned our trunk carpet the best we could, then hosed it down with diluted Castrol Super Clean (Purple Stuff) cleaner and used a wet vac to pull the moisture back out. You won't get it all out by wiping, so plan on vacuuming it up as you clean it. It took us a couple of treatments because of the massive spill. That cleaner is also excellent to remove black engine grease out of upholstery.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would take it to car detail. They are professional in doing these thing. May 300$ would make your car like new again. I did that with my 11 year old car with nasty smell ( Don't ask I don't know what is it.) . Boy, the car was like new.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OneSlowHonda: Your post is why we need a "no thanks" button.

MangoConChili: With it being high summer, you should know in a day or so if there's any sour milk left because the smell will be very noticeable. Years ago, one of my kids left a half-gallon of ice cream in the trunk and being summer, the smell was horrific in the cabin of the car. Hope you don't have to remove those seats!

Some of it went into the carpeting directly underneath the bench, and yes the smell is noticeable. It will probably go away with time, but I intend on cleaning it myself. Also went to the dealer and they confirmed there is no latch/button to remove the bench like in previous CRVs. There are 4 bolts that look like are holding in the bench. I will remove them later and see if the bench comes out.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Good luck. Hope the sour milk odor fades, but that hasn't been my experience. We found it so disgusting, that we had to deal with it in the first couple of days (but we had an entire 1/2 gallon of ice cream spill out).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oneslow honda
NOT KOOL
No worries, I reported him for trolling.

Getting back on topic, I removed the 4 bolts underneath the rear bench(they're covered with plastic inserts, near where you feet would be if you were sitting in the back) and was able to lift the bench enough to clean the stain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No worries, I reported him for trolling.

Getting back on topic, I removed the 4 bolts underneath the rear bench(they're covered with plastic inserts, near where you feet would be if you were sitting in the back) and was able to lift the bench enough to clean the stain.

Nope, no trolling. Just responding the same matter as you did when one needed help

From You:

"I've read a bunch of your threads, and it sounds like you're in so far over your head for this.

Step one is to just replace the front speakers and tweeters. They won't be powered to the optimal level, but you'll see an improvement in clarity. It appears as though you've already done this, but with non component speakers. The fact that you didn't know that you needed component speakers is a red flag to me that this is way out of your league. If I were your friend in real life, I would tell you to have a pro do it, because your lack of knowledge means that you have a decent chance of doing damage to the electronics"

No worries, he's been reported. So again, responding to the same manner as you did. If I was your friend in real life, I would tell you to have a pro do it, because your severe lack of knowledge/ssense means that you have a decent chance of doing more damage to your interior. Take it to professional. They will have chemicals far stronger than you can ever buy off the shelf to get rid of that smell.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For those of us who have done this before, Honda's amplifier has a built in crossovers, which sends high frequency sound to the tweeter and mid/bass to the woofer..If you connect a full range speaker to the woofer output, the woofer section only will work, the tweeter will not get any signal..The hope here was that the replacement speaker was of higher quality, having a larger magnet and better driver material..

·
Registered
540 Posts
We bought a new 1972 Volvo wagon a few days after our second child was born. (Even in the pre car seat era there was lots of kid stuff to schlep.) Well a couple of years later a “bag of milk” burst while on the way home from the dairy. My wife is a clean freak and she worked on the mess for days. I guess we sort of got used to the smell because when we sold the car in 1990 the buyer noticed the sour smell but bought it anyway. I don’t know if detailers even existed in the mid ‘70s but they do today, so I would give one of them a call.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For those of us who have done this before, Honda's amplifier has a built in crossovers, which sends high frequency sound to the tweeter and mid/bass to the woofer..If you connect a full range speaker to the woofer output, the woofer section only will work, the tweeter will not get any signal..The hope here was that the replacement speaker was of higher quality, having a larger magnet and better driver material..

Thanks for the HELPFUL response. Honda's speakers are like paper thin and really light. Even a set of $40 speakers (pair) were much heavier and better built.
With a noticeable improvement. However, speakers alone is not enough for this vehicle unfortunately.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope, no trolling. Just responding the same matter as you did when one needed help

From You:

"I've read a bunch of your threads, and it sounds like you're in so far over your head for this.

Step one is to just replace the front speakers and tweeters. They won't be powered to the optimal level, but you'll see an improvement in clarity. It appears as though you've already done this, but with non component speakers. The fact that you didn't know that you needed component speakers is a red flag to me that this is way out of your league. If I were your friend in real life, I would tell you to have a pro do it, because your lack of knowledge means that you have a decent chance of doing damage to the electronics"

No worries, he's been reported. So again, responding to the same manner as you did. If I was your friend in real life, I would tell you to have a pro do it, because your severe lack of knowledge/ssense means that you have a decent chance of doing more damage to your interior. Take it to professional. They will have chemicals far stronger than you can ever buy off the shelf to get rid of that smell.

I'm sorry you got offended, but installing an an aftermarket amp and making it work with an OEM headunit is FAR more complex then unscrewing 4 bolts to remove a backseat like I did. Again, take it to a shop to have it done like others told you to. And I already got rid of the smell. Good luck with that amp of yours...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts