Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our brand new 2019 CRV Touring was sold to us with dealer installed door edge guards and I want them off. The salesman told us the guards are glued on and a lot of time and labor is required to take the off. Looking for guidance on how to remove the guards without damaging the doors and finish.

Thanks

·
Administrator
3,347 Posts
If you go to college hills honda site you should be able to find the part, and installation instructions.
If they are glued on then leave them.

·
2,215 Posts
They are not "glued" on, they have adhesive backing in them, which is a kind of two-sided tape. It's the same stuff used to attach the body side moldings. You can heat it up with a heat gun or hair dryer and slowly work them off by hand. Wear gloves. Be gentle and don't squeeze - slide them off the edge. Then you can clean off the excess adhesive with lighter fluid, and clean the lighter fluid residue off with glass cleaner. This is the same process you would use to remove a sticker. Hopefully they did not slap them on there so sloppily that they scratched the paint underneath, but if they did, you'll have to deal with that if you remove them. So I wouldn't. I would go back to them and say "I don't care - I don't like them, I didn't want them, and I will not accept them. Take them off. I'm not asking. If that's a problem, get the boss over here right now. Somebody is going to make this happen, one way or another." Of course, I'm old, I don't care what people think of me, and I don't mind being rude if it's necessary. And I'm not going to let somebody run over me like that. But that's just me. You might have a more diplomatic way. But in the end, you are the customer, and you just paid them a large sum of money, so you have paid for the privilege of having a voice in the matter. IMO. Rant, rant, rant, mumble.

I agree that those things are ugly, they detract from the car's appearance, and they don't save anything either. The guards themselves just wind up looking as damaged as the door would have without them. Personally, I don't treat my cars that way anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts