Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am trying to install an aftermarket backup camera on a 2011 CR-V EX-L. In order to mount the camera, I need to remove the chrome piece above the rear license plate. I have the directions from the Honda service manual and I have seen posts about how to do it on here. However, in my case there is some kind of RTV sealant around one of the clips. Does anyone have tips on how to remove the sealant to allow the chrome piece to come out?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,575 Posts
There is little that will dissolve RTV in a short time, your best bet is an Exacto Knife to cut the RTV from around the clip. Permatex does make a RTV remover but you first have to remove the thick RTV first by cutting/scraping and then remove the remainder with the Permatex RTV Remover.
That looks like something the previous owner did to stop a leak or glue a broken clip. Honda's verson of RTV, aka Honda Bond, is gray in color.

·
Registered
2007 CR-V EX-L AWD
49 Posts
I'd say a scraper and a heat gun.

But you can probably work through it. You're just going to pinch those plastic tabs in and let the clips release. Once it's out, it'll be easier to clean that crap up. You'll probably want to fix the factory gasket around that trim/garnish piece.

It's an odd place to put RTV. I guess the bigger question is, what were they fixing?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts