Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our new CR-V all of 5 days now, so naturally there's already some scuff marks on the paint. I suspect it happened during a car wash yesterday, but can't be certain. It kind of looks like a smudge of finger prints on the passenger door. The color is Gunmetal.

Can anyone recommend a product or process that will remove scuff marks on the '17?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,655 Posts
Car Washes = BLECHHHHH

I'm sure DIY Guy or sirwired will answer,, but I'd start with an application of 3M Swirl Mark Remover, applied by hand.

Remember, paint is soft! Don't use more than a light hand pressure. LOTS of repetitions!

Then, your favorite wax. I don't use expensive boutique products, it's all in the application. :cool:

Our cars are 29, 18, 11 and 10 years old, and they look super.

·
Registered
285 Posts
light swirl marks can be removed thru clay bar and light polish (all in one cleanser or wax). If it doesn't fix the problem follow carbuff2's suggestion with swirl mark remover/polish. If that doesn't work, you might need to go with polishing compound, Meguair M205 finishing polish, with porter cable. If swirl mark still exist, have a detail shop fix it for you since it's a scratch (deep) not a surface swirls.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would start with meguairs 205 and if that doesn't work 105 then back to 205. You can try by had but a DA buffer would work better. I've heard good things on klasse all in one for light swirls but haven't tried myself. There are lots of polishing compounds but I've had good results with this combo.

Agree with previous comment about car washes. Especially on a dark color wash with lots of soapy water and a lot of rinsing. I wanted gun metal but my wife wanted white. Kind of glad for it now. Sounds like gun metal is a swirl magnet.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have a Turtle Wax product made to remove these light marks. Its called "Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl Remover". I believe I picked it up at Walmart or an auto parts store or at Amazon. They make several slightly different compounds. I would read the descriptions and then pick one. I have used the T-238 one with good results. There is also a T-237A that I have not tried but looks to be very similar. If you look on Amazon you will see conflicting reviews. Some love it, others hate it. I would guess some who hate it either didn't follow the directions or expected it to do way more than what it is meant to do. It can not take a big scratch out of your car, folks! It can smooth out the finish and clean it up including removing swrill marks. Follow the directions! That is one mistake people make then when it doesn't work magic they complain.

It worked for me on a couple of different cars. I used it as directed, exactly, and it took care of the problems.

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-238-Scratch-Remover/dp/B003KLABUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491616650&sr=8-1&keywords=turtle+wax+scratch+and+swirl+remover+11+ounce

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AME5FY/ref=psdc_15718471_t2_B003KLABUA

·
Registered
264 Posts
Do not use claybar on 5 day old car. Clay bar is for removing contaminants that a wash can not remove. It doesnot remove swirls. To remove swirls try meguiars swirl remover. It is a trial and error job to correct paint, so you might want to use different product if that does not work

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Agree that clay will not remove swirls. It removes contaminants from the surface. Surprisingly people do clay brand new cars because it needs it.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Clay will not remove swirls, it may however help with removing some of the paint transfer. You can try purchasing something at your local auto parts store and try that and doing it by hand. It may take some time by hand. If you have a machine it will be easy. Start with the least aggressive method first. I had one a while back that was really bad. I was able to get it out, although I have several polishers, and lots of product. My wife will tell you I have more detailing equipment and supplies than people that do it for a living. But she likes her clean cars.

In reference to not claying a new car, that is the first thing I do within the first week of every car I buy. Your new car is going to have a lot of contaminants on it, believe it or not. Do this. Take a sandwich baggie and put your hand in it. Gently run the baggie with your hand in it along your paint. You're not going hurt a thing. It will feel like sandpaper. Now take and clay bar that same area and do the baggie trick again, it will feel smooth.

Another tip is if you can't catch your finger nail on it, it should come out and isn't a deep scratch.

And to the OP, my cars never see a car wash, with the exception of plain water (no soap) in the winter months at the pay and spray.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I suggested clay bar cause contaminants that cause swirls might already embed into the clear coat. cleaning the surface before you compound/polish goes a long way.

·
Banned
806 Posts
I suggested clay bar cause contaminants that cause swirls might already embed into the clear coat. cleaning the surface before you compound/polish goes a long way.
I completely agree. I just spent several hours this last weekend cleaning up my CR-V. It took me about 12 hours labor time. My truck takes me roughly 24 hours labor time.

·
Registered
679 Posts
light swirl marks can be removed thru clay bar and light polish (all in one cleanser or wax). If it doesn't fix the problem follow carbuff2's suggestion with swirl mark remover/polish. If that doesn't work, you might need to go with polishing compound, Meguair M205 finishing polish, with porter cable. If swirl mark still exist, have a detail shop fix it for you since it's a scratch (deep) not a surface swirls.
Do NOT go to a body shop for this. They'll make it worse even if it looks okay walking out of there.
Do NOT use polishing compound on a new car, that's craziness. Polishing compound is the equivalent to a really fine sandpaper. It's liquid sandpaper. It removes a very thin layer of clear coat. Swirl marks or light scratches will go away with this process but it isn't something you should repeat every time a car wash mishandles your car or you'll run out of clear coat. Car washes in general are terrible. Rather than washing your car they basically spread the dirt around, dry your car with dirty towels and lots of particles stuck in the towels and so on. I wash my car myself with lots of soap and clean towels and at drying time, just a light soft pressure drying.

A swirl mark remover is basically a polishing compound in a tiny bottle to motivate you to use it only in a specific spot.

Waxing over the scratches will just hide them until he wax wears off.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Best protection: do NOT go to car washes!! haven't been to one in 20 years, last time was in mid-90's when an Acura dealer severely added numerous light scratches on both sides of my fairly new Acura CL when in for normal service, brushes were evidently worn. Entire car had to be professionally detailed to remove them.

And when Hand washing vehicle, I always do in straight movements, no circles. And same drill when I polish my vehicles with Zaino, put on & off w/straight movements. Have 3 light Zaino coats on my wife's new white CRV, and its slick as can be & dirt & bugs easily wash away when I wash the vehicle (only 2x so far)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts