Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 EX-L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to remove the orange plastic tip from the dipstick in order to make it easier to read. It is nearly impossible to see the level when the oil is fresh since it almost seems to "climb" up the tip even with the dipstick held down or horizontal. Of course the new oil is transparent and very thin to boot! I am going in to have the N60 recall done tomorrow and will want to carefully monitor the level after the work is done. We have a 2018 EX-L with just under 6000 kms on it and the oil level has risen about a centimeter in that mileage. It is now just over the top of the orange plastic. I live on the west coast of Canada so the climate is quite mild and cold weather driving is not an issue. Driving is a mix of local and short distances (less than 75 miles). I just want to know how to easily remove the plastic tip without damaging the metal....a new one is $60. Thanks.
Neil W

·
Registered
963 Posts
Search for 'dipstick mod' - several folks have posted about it...often they purchase a new dipstick for <$10.00 US then remove the orange bit from the new one...

·
Registered
233 Posts
A simple tap or taps of the hammer on the orange plastic is all it takes. Just make sure you are on a flat solid surface and use the flat portion of the hammer head. Mark the the high and low marks before removing and then use a Dremmel or an awl to clearly score the marks. Afterwards you will have a usable dipstick unlike the ridiculous pile of garbage you originally paid for.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It was a bit harder to remove my orange plastic. It was attached to the metal quite strongly and it took several shots with the hammer, which bent the metal a bit out of shape. Be sure to remove all of it so you don't have any pieces coming off in your oil pan. Good luck!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Search for 'dipstick mod' - several folks have posted about it...often they purchase a new dipstick for <$10.00 US then remove the orange bit from the new one...
yes ...buy a new one and make sure you put the orange one back in when it goes for service......I carry it by spare tire.....because some dealer thinks it doesnt give you a correct reading and know they will use this for a warranty claim down the road...true story

·
Registered
476 Posts
I would like to remove the orange plastic tip from the dipstick in order to make it easier to read. It is nearly impossible to see the level when the oil is fresh since it almost seems to "climb" up the tip even with the dipstick held down or horizontal. Of course the new oil is transparent and very thin to boot! I am going in to have the N60 recall done tomorrow and will want to carefully monitor the level after the work is done. We have a 2018 EX-L with just under 6000 kms on it and the oil level has risen about a centimeter in that mileage. It is now just over the top of the orange plastic. I live on the west coast of Canada so the climate is quite mild and cold weather driving is not an issue. Driving is a mix of local and short distances (less than 75 miles). I just want to know how to easily remove the plastic tip without damaging the metal....a new one is $60. Thanks.
Neil W
I melted mine off with a torch and then cleaned up with a little steel wool- worked great !! 5 min job.

·
Registered
86 Posts
extra dipstick cost me $6.99 from HondaPartsnow.com... there were shipping charges too but i was ordering a bunch of other parts at the same time so the cost wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
2018 EX-L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Our CRV should be ready for pick up soon. I will have to source a cheaper dipstick if I want a spare one. I will let you know how the "product update" works.
Neil W

·
Registered
177 Posts
extra dipstick cost me $6.99 from HondaPartsnow.com... there were shipping charges too but i was ordering a bunch of other parts at the same time so the cost wasn't too bad.
That's a good price but the $10 shipping made it more expensive that just buying it from the dealer for $10 +tax. Called the dealer today - it will be available for pickup tomorrow.

I'll remove the orange plastic piece from one and keep the other for "dealer visits". No need to worry about them telling me I did something bad to the car - or them removing the oil pan searching for the orange plastic piece! :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's a good price but the $10 shipping made it more expensive that just buying it from the dealer for $10 +tax. Called the dealer today - it will be available for pickup tomorrow.

I'll remove the orange plastic piece from one and keep the other for "dealer visits". No need to worry about them telling me I did something bad to the car - or them removing the oil pan searching for the orange plastic piece! :)
local dealer = +1

i was only citing my experience because the OP was talking it costing $60 for an extra dipstick. $10 is certainly worth having the ability to much more easily read the oil leve

i too kept my original intact and plan to put it back in place if i ever have any work done on the car by the dealer (not likely).

IMG_8017.jpg

·
Registered
177 Posts
local dealer = +1

i was only citing my experience because the OP was talking it costing $60 for an extra dipstick. $10 is certainly worth having the ability to much more easily read the oil leve

i too kept my original intact and plan to put it back in place if i ever have any work done on the car by the dealer (not likely).

View attachment 127771
I'm thankful you did post about finding it online! I would have been happy paying $17 (incl shipping) but decided to call the dealer on a whim - expecting it would be something like $30+ dollars. I was really surprised it was so cheap.

I shared my experience because most of us here likely assume the dealer price would be ridiculous. Perhaps this is the only good deal to be had at the dealership! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts