Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Newbie, as per title I followed all the steps to the letter but on start up the temp gauge is central but heaters blowing cold and as per the bottom radiator hose is cold but top one hot. Ive tried squeezing /purging top hose with expansion tank lid off but now at a loss. 2009 diesel CRV 2.2.

All help welcome asap.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Have you rechecked the coolant level in the radiator?
Was the heater working OK before you started the coolant change?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
1,775 Posts
Take it out for a little drive around the block. Thats what I do. Just air trapped

·
2,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You may have to burp it! To do that, open the drain till liquid comes out, then close. restart, run till thermostat opens, then refill to level. May have to repeat. If this doesn't work, thermostat may be stuck. But, if it wasn't already, it should be fine. Moving to Gen 3.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response, ive taken it out for a run and checked coolant level which is fine. My concerns are that prior to changing the coolant the car took a long time to get to temp but today within 2 miles the temp started to show and levelled off just below half way. I then checked coolant in expansion tank which is cool, bottom hose on radiator which is cold while top hose is very hot, then the heater, when having set to direct into cabin it is so so hot but temp guage never moves from just below centre. Paranoid?

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Cold overflow tank = normal
hot top hose = normal
temp gauge just below half = normal
paranoid = maybe :)

Seriously, I think the flow of the coolant is out of the block, through the top radiator hose (so it's real hot), in to the radiator, out through the bottom hose (if the thermostat is open), and back in to the block.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will give Ozzy a ring, Paranoid it is then. Thank you for all your help and feedback.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
I will give Ozzy a ring, Paranoid it is then. Thank you for all your help and feedback.
Now that the heater is working, it does sound like the 'air bubble' dissipated.
It would be wise to occasionally check the fluid level in the radiator and the overflow tank for a week or so if you drive it regularly. More air many be released and more coolant would need to be added.
If reaching operating temp starts taking a lot longer or if the temp gets too high, a thermostat change might be in order and/or a check to see if both radiator fans are working properly
Hopefully, you will be just fine.

Buffalo4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts