Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have this reoccurring odd sound that I am getting in my 2008 CRV 4WD LX (automatic transmission)
The best way I could describe the sound is a “thud” that seems to speed up and slow down as if you have a flat tire.

As a matter of fact the first time I heard it, I had just left my house and I did a U-Turn and returned home only to find nothing.
Another time I pulled over onto the side of the road thinking once again I had a flat tire. I checked the air pressure in all 4 tires and they were all at the recommended 30psi.
I have experienced this with and without the VSA activated.

I did notice however it seems to happen more often when I had the emergency break previously engaged.

I have changed the rear differential fluid (duel pump II), engine oil & filter( Mobile 1 Full synthetic high mileage) to see if any of this would help but the issue still pops up from time to time.

I don’t know if it has anything to do with it or maybe it’s just a coincidence but it seems once I stop, put the vehicle in park, get out to inspect the tires, the noise seems to stop.

just prior to writing this, I replaced my back up bulbs in the CRV. I installed the bulbs, started up the vehicle,”set the emergency break”, put it in reverse and hoped out to make sure both bulbs were working.
I then hopped in the vehicle, disengaged the emergency break and proceeded onto the road to head to work. Thud, thud, thud, thud...
I arrived at the first red light, put the vehicle in park, took my foot off the break pedal, pressed the break once again and put the vehicle in drive and once the light went green I drove away with no thud noises.
Has anyone else experienced this or know what is?

Thanks for your help,
Teak

·
Registered
2009 CR-V EX
91 Posts
Sounds like the parking brake shoes, inside the rear rotor drum, need servicing. That's what I would look at if I were to get a thud thud thud while driving, immediately after disengaging the parking brake. The brake shoes probably just need some grease, on the spots where they move, so they stop hanging up on the drum when disengaged.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts