Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Repair Manual Discrepancy '10

4K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  kloker 
#1 ·
Hey! First post for the new car.
Picked up the CR-V, 2010, so the wife would be able to drive to work. She couldn't drive a stick, and the electrics on my VW were failing anyways.

So, I just got back from the O'Reilly's. Asked for a repair manual, and something curious happened. There's a break in their selection. Between 2009 and 2012. Maybe it's a typo, but this is the cover. I got the older one, because it said it covered a 2010 Civic. But I'm afraid to open it without confirmation.
Anybody know the story behind this? Should I try and order something else online?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The manual has a number in the upper right corner, correct?
Try some Google searches for Chilton's and that number and see if there is any feedback. :)
But I think you're going to be disappointed.

2001 was the last year for the 1st Gen CR-Vs.
2006 was the last year for the 2nd Gen CR-Vs, which are very different than the 1st Gens.
And the 3rd Gen's are different than both the 1st and 2nd Gens.

Not sure about the Civic generations. :)

Just did a check, and Helm Inc publishes the Honda Service Manual for 2007-2011 CR-Vs.
It ain't cheap at US $175, and it's a reprint.

But the Helm manual IS the Honda Service Manual that has everything you want to know about fixing a CR-V, and a lot of things you probably would never want to do.

helminc.com

and then fill out the red section in the upper right.

Edit: and return the Chilton's. :D

#3 ·
I got my 07-11 Gen 3 manual on CD off eBay for about $45 or so. It's a pdf of the entire factory manual and is compete, over 1k pages. There is no better reference. Mine has already paid for itself a couple of times in just a month. I would never rely on those cheap imitation manuals anyway, they are worthless. I have mine loaded on my computer, and also on my tablet so I can have it at the car if I need it there.

#7 ·
I paid the full asking price. I had already looked for it online and did not find it still available from Honda, so I assumed it was discontinued, like many other Gen3 parts and accessories. I did see on eBay that they had used paper manuals for much higher prices, so I chose the CD version. I think if Honda had a problem with what I bought it would not have been available. And what I have looks official to me. I'm happy.

#12 ·
If they had had the digital (CD) version I might have gone that route. The pdf is much better to work with, for my purposes. The cover and pages won't get torn, or dog-eared, or greasy fingerprinted, or wet, or oily, or coffee-stained, etc. I can sit at my desktop and use it, or carry it out to the shop on my laptop, or on my tablet on a road trip, without worrying about the weight or space or whatnot. I'll never have to worry about losing it or having it damaged or destroyed or becoming unreadable.

And as for ripping Honda off? As far as I am concerned they should provide a free copy with every car sold, along with the owner's manual, and they are ripping off everyone who has to buy it. So I don't, and will not ever, feel bad that I got my CD manual off eBay for $45. Never, ever, no kinda way. I don't care who feels violated. I think I got violated first. It's how I wound up here.

#14 ·
Yup, that's me - big-time criminal. Why, heck, I jaywalked yesterday.

I can't name one that does, but they all should, for the ridiculous prices they charge for everything they sell. But I get back where I can, by buying counterfeit manuals.

I do have FBI and TSA security clearances, though, so I think I'm probably okay.

#16 ·
Racoon - You are most certainly welcome! I know that some folks have hair triggers, but most of the time I'm just being silly, in an attempt to lighten the mood. No offense is ever intended to anyone, of course. I do try to be helpful when I can, and learn when I can. And make folks laugh when I can. So hey, have fun! Otherwise, what's the point? One thing's for sure - It's a good thing I am not a tiger trainer. Somehow I just don't think it would end well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.