Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupidly backed into the pole of a basketball hoop today and it cracked some paint on the rear hood. It was also raining today. What is the most effective and economical way to get it repaired to prevent further damage? The crack is about 0.5-1.0 inch long.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Touch up paint?! Also without pics no one can answer this perfectly. Go to a body shop. Most of them offer free estimate/opinion.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Touch up paint?! Also without pics no one can answer this perfectly. Go to a body shop. Most of them offer free estimate/opinion.

I will take pictures in the morning when there's some light out.
Will touch up paint be enough to prevent rust/corrosion?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would see if dealer has bodyshop. If not go with their recommendations. Thats what i would do, since they already know who is good at working on Honda's and most likely have a relation with them for parts.

Edit: you said MAACO? imo any reputable bodyshop would do the job. But i would see their certification. Check their portfolio. You don't want to pay someone for the job which is not acceptable. It will haunt you later(especially is the color is not matched right, IF needed to repaint). My honda bodyshop is I-Car certified, look into it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would see if dealer has bodyshop. If not go with their recommendations. Thats what i would do, since they already know who is good at working on Honda's and most likely have a relation with them for parts.

Edit: you said MAACO? imo any reputable bodyshop would do the job. But i would see their certification. Check their portfolio. You don't want to pay someone for the job which is not acceptable. It will haunt you later(especially is the color is not matched right, IF needed to repaint). My honda bodyshop is I-Car certified, look into it.

Thanks, I really appreciate it! I just realized we have the exact same car. sad that it got a dent and scratch so soon.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks, I really appreciate it! I just realized we have the exact same car. sad that it got a dent and scratch so soon.
Exact same? I am on phone so can't see the signature. If it's color wise(white exterior). Then don't cheap out on fix. Go with who ever is best, also be sure to read reviews online, and their fb page also. Basically do research and look at their before and after work pics.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Many years ago I took a vehicle to MAACO.
Then I had to take it to another body shop to have the mess that MAACO made fixed.

Check with your local BBB website and other consumer feedback sites before taking it to MAACO. Please.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Any reputable body shop will do. I have not heard good things about MAACO. You don't have to go through the dealer, as any paint job after manufacturing is done with aftermarket paint. (Factory paint isn't made to be applied outside a car factory; the temps required to cure it are too high.)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Another option is to head on over to a place that holds a car cruise night or car show. Talk to the car owners and enthusiasts there. Most people at these shows love to talk cars. Look over the cars and ask them for a paint/body shop recommendation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Exact same? I am on phone so can't see the signature. If it's color wise(white exterior). Then don't cheap out on fix. Go with who ever is best, also be sure to read reviews online, and their fb page also. Basically do research and look at their before and after work pics.

Yes, it's a 2017 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD in Pearl White

Here are pics of the damage:
I went to the body shop and he quoted me at $1K.
I told him that was a little much so I wanted to do something now that would protect it from rust/corrosion.
He said just to cover it with clear nail polish since the pearl white paint is quite expensive and hard to mix right....

paint2.JPG
paint1.JPG
paint3.JPG

Edit: not sure why the photos are flipped, but the area that is chipped is the left lower corner of the rear hood

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Well, nail polish might work.

But I think I'd get a bottle of touch up paint in the correct color from your Honda dealer.
Should be about $10 or so.

Use something to remove as much of the chipped paint as possible, even it means breaking off a few chips that have lifted away from the metal, thus exposing more metal that would need some paint.
Then clean it with water and let it dry, then apply the touch up paint.
Put it on very thinly and do several coats of paint, letting each dry fully.

If I understand where the damage is you also have some damaged metal.
And if that's true that's why the quote was more than you expected.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, nail polish might work.

But I think I'd get a bottle of touch up paint in the correct color from your Honda dealer.
Should be about $10 or so.

Use something to remove as much of the chipped paint as possible, even it means breaking off a few chips that have lifted away from the metal, thus exposing more metal that would need some paint.
Then clean it with water and let it dry, then apply the touch up paint.
Put it on very thinly and do several coats of paint, letting each dry fully.

If I understand where the damage is you also have some damaged metal.
And if that's true that's why the quote was more than you expected.
Well, I'm not sure about the damaged metal part. I asked him what it would cost just to repair the paint, without worrying about anything else, and he said $1k

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes, it's a 2017 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD in Pearl White

Here are pics of the damage:
I went to the body shop and he quoted me at $1K.
I told him that was a little much so I wanted to do something now that would protect it from rust/corrosion.
He said just to cover it with clear nail polish since the pearl white paint is quite expensive and hard to mix right....

View attachment 115817
View attachment 115825
View attachment 115833

Edit: not sure why the photos are flipped, but the area that is chipped is the left lower corner of the rear hood
I would say get more quotes from different body shops. Dont tell them someone quoted you 1k. See what they say.

Now to the Nail polish part. imo this is not long-term solution. Eventually it will wash away in rain, and you will be back to square one.

I do agree as user: racoon said. Get touch up paint from dealer if you want to fix on your own.
Steps:
1. first, if you have clay bar, use it to remove the green paint transfer, and anything around the damage. Dry it clean towel.

2. see if paint is bubbling/ lifted around the damage.(read on. Else skip to 3) If it is, its your choice if you want to do this, because you probably won't get the result you want. At this point you have 2 options. Touch up the paint where you see metal OR remove the bubbling/ lifted paint and cover whole thing with touch up. Honestly i wouldn't do second option, just live with it or get it fixed properly.

3. If the paint is not bubbling/ lifting. Just use the touchup paint to fix. Be sure not to apply more than needed. Also watch some videos on this.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts