Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have had my 2010 CRV for 3 years and I think it's time to drain my anti-freeze and replace it. How often do CRV folks change the anti-freeze as a rule? Do you first run a jar of radiator cleaner through it? Thanks for any input. :)

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Check the owner's manual for recommended interval. As to changing it, just drain it and replace with fresh. Dispose of the old stuff properly. If you flush with anything, on a three year old car, plain water should be sufficient.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,059 Posts
Your '10 CRV came with blue HOAT antifreeze, which creates MUCH LESS buildup inside your radiator than the old coolants. Look inside the radiator cap if you don't believe me. ;) It will look like new, no crusty scum as was common 20 years ago.

I believe your MM will throw the coolant replacement code at about 110K miles. If you don't drive too much, a 5 or 6 year interval, based on time, is fine. :cool:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your '10 CRV came with blue HOAT antifreeze, which creates MUCH LESS buildup inside your radiator than the old coolants. Look inside the radiator cap if you don't believe me. ;) It will look like new, no crusty scum as was common 20 years ago.

I believe your MM will throw the coolant replacement code at about 110K miles. If you don't drive too much, a 5 or 6 year interval, based on time, is fine. :cool:
WOW! Coolant replacement at 110k? Doesn't it break down after a period sooner than that?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,059 Posts
Nope. OAT and HOAT coolants are "Good Stuff".

Who remembers the regimen of filling and draining a cooling system every fall and spring? (I don't. 'Least, I won't admit it) ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I remember when I first read that in my '02 Accord's manual. Blew me away as I'm an old fart that used to change it every year or two. I didn't open the radiator, ie pull the cap off, but one time in the first 100k miles on that car, and it still looked like new coolant!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never seen OAT/HOAT in the store. Probably because I didn't know of it. What brand names is it under, how much is it, and who typically carries it? Thanks in advance.:)

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I'm not sure you can get OAT/HOAT like is put in at the factory.
Even Honda recommends changing the fluid (using their own brand) every two years after the original stuff is removed.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure you can get OAT/HOAT like is put in at the factory.
Even Honda recommends changing the fluid (using their own brand) every two years after the original stuff is removed.
Too bad. I was thinking of putting it in my Wife's Subaru when I change the fluid in a few weeks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The sticker under my hood says to replace according to the MM sub code 5, or 10 years which ever comes first, then every 5 years after that. Use only the Honda type II coolant.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The sticker under my hood says to replace according to the MM sub code 5, or 10 years which ever comes first, then every 5 years after that. Use only the Honda type II coolant.
Then probably never for the original owner.:)

·
Everything in Moderation
8,059 Posts
I've never seen OAT/HOAT in the store. Probably because I didn't know of it. What brand names is it under, how much is it, and who typically carries it? Thanks in advance.:)
For the most piece of mind, you can buy Honda Type 2 pre-mix coolant from a dealer. That's what I do. ~ $15 - $20 a gallon USD.

Zerex Asian Coolant is about the same price. It also comes pre-mixed. NAPA stores carry it (but you might have to ask them to ship it in, usually next day)

There are other HOAT and OAT coolants, usually the amount of silica and phosphorous differs differs according to OEM specs. Zerex actually sells five different formulas of coolant for different vehicles and makes.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/zerex/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts