Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Replaced original front brakes on my 2013 CRV-EX in September. I drive lots of highway miles and average 1k+ weekly for this fleet vehicle. This is what I learned:

1. Front brakes wear faster than rear, so do not be confused because of the difference between braking allocation. It is around 70/30.

2. If you put lots of miles on your car and want to keep it is best to replace the rotors instead of cutting them when you do the front pads if you drive lots of miles.

3. I first replaced the pads and cut the rotors, but they warped after they heated up during the day just enough to cause an intermittent pulse in the steering wheel.

4. Dura International manufactures an inexpensive quality rotor for half the price of OEM.
http://www.amazon.com/Dura-International-BR900388-Front-Vented/dp/B00BLZ8ZEQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1452357629&vehicle=2013-59-754-------------0&sr=1-1&ymm=2013%3Ahonda%3Acr-v&keywords=2013+honda+crv+brake+rotor

5. When the rear are due I will simply replace those rotors too instead of risking more pulsing.

6. Also, these swapped out directly with OEMs without any additional fitting. Other brands sometimes need modification or the thickness and quality of steel are inferior.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
No need to turn rotors anymore as good quality aftermarket rotors are better than using the old ones, and no need to pay OEM prices.

I use MaxBrakes and they too are on Amazon: http://www.amazon.ca/Anti-Rust-Slotted-Drilled-Ceramic-KT041081/dp/B00TG85E5I/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1452374876&sr=8-18&keywords=max+brakes+2009+honda+crv

Front & Rear: http://www.amazon.ca/Anti-Rust-Slotted-Drilled-Ceramic-KT041283/dp/B00TG8AVOM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1452374844&sr=8-8&keywords=max+brakes+2009+honda+crv

They are rust resistance unlike OEM.

·
Registered
252 Posts
1. Front brakes wear faster than rear, so do not be confused because of the difference between braking allocation. It is around 70/30.
That has always been my experience until I got our '09 CRV... For some reason this vehicle eats rear brakes 2:1 to the front set because the calipers tend to stick. Even the dealer now recommends a "rear brake service" where they disassemble and lube the rear brakes periodically, but it's not a tough job and I do it at least once a year on my own.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That has always been my experience until I got our '09 CRV... For some reason this vehicle eats rear brakes 2:1 to the front set because the calipers tend to stick. Even the dealer now recommends a "rear brake service" where they disassemble and lube the rear brakes periodically, but it's not a tough job and I do it at least once a year on my own.
That's interesting. I just changed all 4 sets of brake pads on the 09 CRV last month and the front pads had significantly more wear than the rears. The brakes had not been serviced for a few years, but none of the calipers was sticking significantly. They did move a bit smoother after the slide pins were re-greased, though.

FWIW, we have not needed to replace the rotors yet at 80k miles. All 4 sets of rotors are in very serviceable condition and there are no pulsations which can be felt through the steering wheel.

For rotors, I recommend Centric Premium rotors with their E-coating. The coating helps prevent rust and the rotors are quite reasonably priced. I was able to get a set of 4 rotors for an Accord for under $140, and they have been working well for a couple of years now.

·
Registered
252 Posts
^ Next set I get will have that coating - last set was hell to get both wheel and rotor off the hub, they were frozen on pretty good. I suspect the road salt brine they've switched to here in VT gets in all the nooks and crannies like nothing else (and is slippery on the road - hate that stuff!) For now I've put some anti-seize on the mating surfaces to keep that from happening again.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So whats the recommended replacement Pad? how many miles are people getting out of the original pads? I too like Centric premium rotors. I use them on a few of my cars. I get them from rockauto.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The mileage one gets out of brake pads are different for everyone. The braking habits of the driver, the traffic, the terrain and many other differences make it impossible to know. I know people who get under 20,000 miles out of their brakes and others, like my cousin, that trades his vehicles at over 200,000 miles with the original brakes( 70,000 miles per year on straight interstates).

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have an 1/8" left on my RR brake. I have 40k miles on it. I just ordered some Akebono ACT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts