Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spark plug and Coolant Change on 2013 CR-V

I have a 2013 CR-V with 40,000 miles on it, and can't find the recommended maintenance schedule to replace the spark plugs.

Secondly, I'm going to change out the coolant, should I do a drain and fill, or full flush?

Insight will be appreciated.

Thank you,
m

·
Registered
536 Posts
Coolant is 5 years, Brake Fluid is every 3 years unless you live near the ocean then 2 years.

Spark Plugs look new even at 100,000 miles.

The DW1 transmission fluid is about 4 quarts (3.7) - I recommend at every 25,000 to 30,000 miles for long transmission life. It is a drain and add. Never Flush a Honda Automatic - if will ruin it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here's maintenance schedule prior to the introduction of the maintenance minder.
http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/minder?year=2006&model=CR-V#mid^RD6886JW
Engine coolant is listed under 120,000 mi/192,000 km/10 yrs.

In my 7 years of owning CR-V 2010 i've never seen MM code 5 for the coolant replacement.

Sure, you can do it at 5 years, it is not that expensive, just drain and fill.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The radiator in the 2006 and newer Hondas will not last 7 years is some parts of the country - the seal between the transmission cooler and the radiator will corrode and fail causing transmission failure. This is a bigger problem in snow/salt country and at the seaside first with V6 Hondas then with the 4 bangers. You don't want antifreeze in your transmission.

As an engineer, I doubt that the coolant has much corrosion inhibitors left at 5 years. I myself have been told by Honda Certified Mechanics friends that I know that they don't let it go past 5 years.

Search the internet for Honda radiator failures. You will see many people with no warning that the radiator had failed and it took out the transmission.. I will be replacing my radiator at year 7 just to be sure. They cost about $130 that is better than the $2400 to repair the transmission.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would think that the 2013 is the same as my 2012, the transmission lines don't connect to the radiator. There is a heat exchanger on top of the transmission. I agree no more than coolant costs why not change it at five years

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I thought that the first scheduled coolant replacement was at 10yrs and then after a drain and fill, it was 5yrs, due to the fact that not all the coolant was drained out when doing the drain.
On my '03 Odyssey owner's manual, it tells you to turn the key to ON, set the heat to high, turn the key to off and then drain the radiator and the block and then empty the coolant reservoir.
On my '03 Ody, a change is 1.98 gals and the total capacity is 2.48 gal. So, around 2 qts of the old coolant remains in the system.
I drained mine and flushed the system with a chemical cleaner and then did three more flushes with distilled water and finally added my antifreeze. I used Prestone concentrate and distilled water and guessed at the mixture ratio because I knew some of that distilled water was still in the system. I checked it later and it was 55/45 mixture. Close enough.
Next time, I will just do a drain and then fill it with the pre-mixed anti-freeze.
Buffalo4

·
Not-a-Mechanic
393 Posts
That's correct, mine looked fine when I changed them at 105k.
It's been hard, but I've learned to trust the mm. Now it wants a coolant refresh, don't know if this is the first interval (110k), bought it used. Fluids are much improved, only brake fluid now requires more changes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
So spark plugs don't need to be replaced until 100,000 miles or 10 years?
So just left the dealer after an oil change today. On my 2012 with 160,000 kms they want to do spark plugs and check tappet clearance for $475.00. Ouch....went to the parts dept and the "iridium " plugs are $30 each. Holy crap.....there is no engine tappet noise and vehicle runs fine. When does it end! On a side note the dealer has not mentioned flushing the coolant...yet...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts