Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I know this topic has been worn out, however how long does it take a 2003 CRV's check engine light to go out after replacing the sensor?
Thanks,
Mario
Welcome to the forum! :)

It will take forever to "go out".

You see, you have to CLEAR the code...

Since we don't know where in the world you are located, I don't know whether to tell you to simply go to any auto parts store like AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc. (in the USA) where they will read the code and clear it for you, for free.

Please fill out your profile, with your location. It will help others to help you.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Since your profile is not filled out, any answer would have to make a number of assumptions.

Assuming that your CR-V operates under the North American OBD II protocols, and Assuming that the DTC for which you replaced the O2 sensor was properly diagnosed and that O2 sensor replacement was needed and the correct sensor was replaced, the MIL will self-extinguish once THREE OBD II drive cycles are completed and the O2 sensor monitor passes when the SAME operating conditions exist as the conditions that were present when the monitor failed. (it could take more than three ignition / drive cycles)

You could use a scan tool to clear the DTC.

You could disconnect the battery to clear the DTC, at the expense of your radio station presets (will need audio security code if you have an anti-theft radio) and clock setting.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Since your profile is not filled out, any answer would have to make a number of assumptions.

Assuming that your CR-V operates under the North American OBD II protocols, and Assuming that the DTC for which you replaced the O2 sensor was properly diagnosed and that O2 sensor replacement was needed and the correct sensor was replaced, the MIL will self-extinguish once THREE OBD II drive cycles are completed and the O2 sensor monitor passes when the SAME operating conditions exist as the conditions that were present when the monitor failed. (it could take more than three ignition / drive cycles)

You could use a scan tool to clear the DTC.

You could disconnect the battery to clear the DTC, at the expense of your radio station presets (will need audio security code if you have an anti-theft radio) and clock setting.
Interesting. Thanks for the update. I didn't realize that the MIL could go out on its' own - although I knew it would for the "loose gas cap" problems. Makes sense though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.