Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I replaced my rear axles over the weekend. I pushed them all the way in the differential then bolted through the center of the rotor with the supplied bolt.

I went to have my alignment checked and they're telling me there is a gap between the axle and rear differential and all the fluid is leaking out.

Is it possible I installed my axle incorrectly? I am going to get under there tonight and check the fluid. I'm wondering if its even possible that I didn't push the axle far enough into the differential? Is it possible the auto parts store gave me the wrong part #?

Any help/tips/guidance I'm all ears. Thank you

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Do you still have your old axles?

Might pay to remove a new one and compare lengths to the old.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so update,

I pulled axles apart and pushed them into differential first and then put the wheels on. Seems fine now.

Only issue I have is there is differential fluid on the back of the car. What would cause that? It's possible its remnants from when the axle was loose, but with the now axles solidly in there is there any chance fluid could be coming out?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they are installed all the way and the seal wasnt damaged, there should be no leaking.

Also make sure the drain and fill bolts are tight and have a gasket.
What gasket are you referring to? All I did was unscrew the drain/fill bolts and screw them back in.

The axles are in there tight on both sides.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Both the drain and fill plugs have a metal washer on them that is a gasket. Without them, it can drip from the bolts.

Id post a link showing them but have no idea what year V you have. I can only assume its an AWD model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a 2003 CRV. Yes it's all wheel drive. When I took the fill and drain plugs out and all I did was put them back in. I'm gonna wipe it down good tonight and drive around to see if it is still leaking. Any tips on if it is leaking how to find out where the leak is coming from?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts