Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my 2013 CR-V had the clear brake light lens with the LED modules inside on top of the tailgate. To me, its an obnoxious aesthetic to have clear plastic on top of the tailgate. Why not color it red? It would seem Honda's engineers have "seen the light" (no pun intended) and 2015 and newer models have a red lens cover as do previous model years. Why Honda got wild with 2013-2014 model years I have no idea.

So I studied the schematics for the third brake light lens for the 2013 CR-V and newer models which have the red lens. They're all the same. So I bought a red one.

Simple DIY procedure...2x 4mm nuts behind a trim panel, unplug the power source, and pop it out. Reverse to install a new one. Word to the wise though: be very careful taking those tiny 4mm nuts off. Finding them inside the frame of the tailgate is misery.

Before and after pics below!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That might look cool on a white colored one. But for me, most all SUV's, large and small, they're all red. Just my OCD getting in the way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would de-badge your CR-V as well. It will clean up the back end. They are just adhesive decals, worst case is if you don't like the clean look you can always put them back on (using new double sided tape, of course). I personally like the clean look.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question about the lens

Did you have to replace the entire brake light assembly or just the lens itself?
The reason I ask is someone broke that lens on my 2013 CRV.
Thanks in advance.
Jack

So my 2013 CR-V had the clear brake light lens with the LED modules inside on top of the tailgate. To me, its an obnoxious aesthetic to have clear plastic on top of the tailgate. Why not color it red? It would seem Honda's engineers have "seen the light" (no pun intended) and 2015 and newer models have a red lens cover as do previous model years. Why Honda got wild with 2013-2014 model years I have no idea.

So I studied the schematics for the third brake light lens for the 2013 CR-V and newer models which have the red lens. They're all the same. So I bought a red one.

Simple DIY procedure...2x 4mm nuts behind a trim panel, unplug the power source, and pop it out. Reverse to install a new one. Word to the wise though: be very careful taking those tiny 4mm nuts off. Finding them inside the frame of the tailgate is misery.

Before and after pics below!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Additional help on replacing top brakelight assembly

I'm certain that you can just replace the lens. It's just a couple screws. Easy peasy.
I have a 2015 CRV.
I need to replace the entire tailgate top brakelight assembly as I damaged it.
Does one remove the top trim piece from the inside above the rear window?
If so, where should one apply force to remove the trim piece above the rear tailgate window?
Once trim is removed then there are two small nuts to take off to remove the top brakelight assembly and replace?
Thank you for your help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts