Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a self developed crack in the windshield of my 2018, so I finally took it in to Safelite to get it replaced. I was apprehensive as I knew the sensor recalibration would have to be done, but they assured me it's a standard static type of recalibration and they do it all the time. However, upon pick up, I tested the automatic cruise control, which is working fine, but not the Collision Mitigation Braking System. Before I pull up on someone at a highway at highspeed, the warning light came on quite early and with plenty of warning time to slow down, but now it does not. Only in the very last split second does a warning light show, but not in enough time to avoid a collision (also doesn't start braking by itself).

Any advice on why one system could be working well and not the other? I talked to the other guys at Safelite and manager (who was quite helpful) and they not that the recalibration showed all green... however they've agreed to recalibrate it once more.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That sucks, sorry to hear and definitely go back to Safelite to give them a chance to correct.

Your post really brings to light how important it is to choose a glass shop that not only has solid reviews, but guarantees satisfaction when it comes down to sensor recalibration. They have to warranty their work for at least 30 days is my opinion.

·
Banned
252 Posts
I'm not exactly sure how the system works, but I do know that the adaptive cruise control uses radar, which I don't think has anything to do with the windshield. The lane keeping assist does use the camera in the windshield though. Have you noticed anything different with how that works?

Are you sure you have the collision mitigation braking system turned on? I believe there's a button near your left knee that turns it on and off.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,580 Posts
Had a self developed crack in the windshield of my 2018, so I finally took it in to Safelite to get it replaced. I was apprehensive as I knew the sensor recalibration would have to be done, but they assured me it's a standard static type of recalibration and they do it all the time. However, upon pick up, I tested the automatic cruise control, which is working fine, but not the Collision Mitigation Braking System. Before I pull up on someone at a highway at highspeed, the warning light came on quite early and with plenty of warning time to slow down, but now it does not. Only in the very last split second does a warning light show, but not in enough time to avoid a collision (also doesn't start braking by itself).

Any advice on why one system could be working well and not the other? I talked to the other guys at Safelite and manager (who was quite helpful) and they not that the recalibration showed all green... however they've agreed to recalibrate it once more.
Check the setting for the collision mitigation braking distance in the custom settings, it may be set for the shortest distance. There are three settings long, normal and short.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I can confirm the lane keep assist system works fine. The system is not turned off (no -warning lights in the dash) & the setting in custom vehicle settings is set to normal (never changed it). Hopefully the recalibration fixes this, if not I'll ask to take it to the dealer and have Safelite pay for the recalibraiton.

·
Banned
252 Posts
Thanks guys. I can confirm the lane keep assist system works fine. The system is not turned off (no -warning lights in the dash) & the setting in custom vehicle settings is set to normal (never changed it). Hopefully the recalibration fixes this, if not I'll ask to take it to the dealer and have Safelite pay for the recalibraiton.

The reasoning you gave in your parentheses doesn't have anything to do with anything. There wouldn't be any warning lights in the dash if it were turned off, and just because you never changed the settings, that doesn't mean that someone else couldn't have.

If you actually double checked the settings and everything is set to how it was before, then fine. If you didn't double check the settings and are just saying everything's set correctly because there aren't any dummy lights and because you didn't change the settings, that doesn't really mean much.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,634 Posts
Since LKAS is working normally, I have a hard time believing your camera is out of calibration after the glass change. ACC relies primarily on the radar array on your frontend, and uses the camera as a redundancy check I believe. Since you did have a recalibration performed by Safelite... they may have changed settings as they performed the recalibration, so Traylaws advice is sound here.

I have have my glass replaced, also by Safelite, and required no recalibration on mine. My local Safelite does not do recalibrations (some do, some do not), they send you to the dealer.... but the tech also suggest road testing first, because there is nothing sophisticated about HondaSensing in the context of the camera and most Hondas take a glass change fine with no actual need to recalibrate.

Note: The replacement glass has a precision mounted clip bracket for your camera (positioned and attached at the glass factory and checked for true position), so as long as the glass was installed correctly (ie: not misaligned, which would be pretty obvious quickly) the camera will go right back in position as though it came off the factory line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reasoning you gave in your parentheses doesn't have anything to do with anything. There wouldn't be any warning lights in the dash if it were turned off, and just because you never changed the settings, that doesn't mean that someone else couldn't have.

If you actually double checked the settings and everything is set to how it was before, then fine. If you didn't double check the settings and are just saying everything's set correctly because there aren't any dummy lights and because you didn't change the settings, that doesn't really mean much.
"

On a 2018 at least, if one presses and holds the button to turn off collision mitigation system, a warning light does show up on center screen in the dashboard - try it yourself.

I did check the setting after the calibration for warning distance was Normal - I have no reason to believe it was anything other than that from the factory (and hence before the replacement) since I never changed it :/. Even if I change it to Long, which I tried now, the warning comes on WAY too late and much later than it did before the change - I've driven the car enough over years to tell the difference.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My comments are not about our 2020 CRV, but about our 2018 Ridgeline. We were hit by a large rock in our windshield last summer and because of the hole it left, I had to replace the glass. We had Safelite do the work. They used Honda glass. According to the tech, he checked the calibration and found it to be correct with no adjustments needed. I questioned the need to do the calibration and was told by the him that the check was for insurance purposes. The testing covers the glass company and me should I get into an at fault accident. I will admit, I have found the system is a bit more sensitive than less. I get the flashing orange "Brake" warning a little more than I would have before when someone brakes sharply in front of me to make a last second turn. I like that, so I haven't asked for it to be recehecked. Everything else seems to work correctly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You can determine if it's a Honda windshield by check for the Honda insignia etched the bottom corner of the glass.
The tech can't check check the calibration without setting up the targets and actually doing the calibration. I fix glass shops "calibrations" daily for a variety of sensing issues "since my windshield was replaced". Aftermarket don't want the proper calibration done because 90% of the time a non Honda windshield won't calibrate.

·
Registered
116 Posts
2017 CRV EX-L Turbo with Nav. It is always possible that a sensor has gone out. I also had a cracked windshield and took it to Safelite. I was not going to use my insurance but pay it out of pocket. I told the lady what my safety equipment was and she quoted a price of less than $500. The day before I was to take the car in to have the windshield replaced Safelite called and said that because of the Honda Sensing features, which would have to be recalibrated, the cost would be closer to $1,500 and that in my area of the country only one Safelite dealer had equipment to calibrate the Honda Sensing features so I would have to take it there.

I cancelled the service appointment & I have gotten used to the crack. If I do have it repaired I will look for another glass dealer. I do know that the insurance company has said that non-Honda glass will work as well as Honda glass, even with the sensing safety features. If the feature does not work after the glass company recalibrates again, the only thing I can think of would be to have it checked by a Honda dealer but there will likely be a cost. It is also possible that the Glass company is not thoroughly familiar with the recalibration process.

·
Registered
13 Posts

That is one reason not to rely on electronic system to do the driving or stopping for you. Sucks that it doesn't work. just pay attention to the road, that is my motto.

·
Read Only
217 Posts
2017 CRV EX-L Turbo with Nav. It is always possible that a sensor has gone out. I also had a cracked windshield and took it to Safelite. I was not going to use my insurance but pay it out of pocket. I told the lady what my safety equipment was and she quoted a price of less than $500. The day before I was to take the car in to have the windshield replaced Safelite called and said that because of the Honda Sensing features, which would have to be recalibrated, the cost would be closer to $1,500 and that in my area of the country only one Safelite dealer had equipment to calibrate the Honda Sensing features so I would have to take it there.

I cancelled the service appointment & I have gotten used to the crack. If I do have it repaired I will look for another glass dealer. I do know that the insurance company has said that non-Honda glass will work as well as Honda glass, even with the sensing safety features. If the feature does not work after the glass company recalibrates again, the only thing I can think of would be to have it checked by a Honda dealer but there will likely be a cost. It is also possible that the Glass company is not thoroughly familiar with the recalibration process.
This makes me glad I live in Arizona. Arizona law allows for full coverage on windshield replacement under one's comprehensive coverage. Our insurance policies include that full coverage endorsement, one we never had to ask for but came with our policies. That means no cost for windshield replacement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts