Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2014 CRV and need to replace the brake pads (and get rotors turned, etc.). The car has 71K miles on it. The dealer sells OEM brake pads for $100. Are there aftermarket pads that are the same or better quality, and known not to squeal? The dealer played up the squealing part, but I thought that is only caused until brakes are seated and if no compound was applied. Which brands work best? ty.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,615 Posts
With brakes on a street driven car, I'd suggest using any high quality, name brand pad. Don't buy the cheapest, but there is no need to buy the most expensive either. The good brands usually come with anti squeal shims, too.

You MAY find that these aftermarket pads are about the same cost as the OEM pads (especially if you purchase at one of the online dealers).

Another factor that may sway you towards a non-OEM pad is the brake dust. If you hate cleaning the unsightly black junk from your front wheels, consider using a ceramic pad. Again, these pads will come with shims and will cost about the same as the discounted OEM pads.

Are you planning to DIY or have a trusted mechanic do the brake job?

Regards rotors, if you are not experiencing any pulsation when braking, your rotors are fine. The pads on my '06 easily lasted 75K while the rotors lasted 130K miles before the rust on the edges (from road salt) caused pulsation. FWIW, a shop will probably insist on turning the rotors, if not replacing them.

PS The rear pads will probably need replacing also. They are 'sized' to wear out at the same rate F&R.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Not sure where you are located, but i use Maxbrakes.com. Superior brakes at a great price with free, fast shipping

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've used a variety of pads and rotors over the last 35 years, and have concluded that they all stop reasonably well. But noise and dust and rust and service life are just not predictable at all.

They only thing to do is to replace pads you don't like with another brand and hope for the best.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Is the $100 installed?

Hi,

I have a 2014 CRV and need to replace the brake pads (and get rotors turned, etc.). The car has 71K miles on it. The dealer sells OEM brake pads for $100. Are there aftermarket pads that are the same or better quality, and known not to squeal? The dealer played up the squealing part, but I thought that is only caused until brakes are seated and if no compound was applied. Which brands work best? ty.
This site lists them for $80.22 and sells them for $57, plus shipping.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2014-honda-cr-v-5dr_ex_awd-ka-5at/front-brake.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts