Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The outer boot cracked on my 1998 5MT and rather than just replace the boot, or install an aftermarket rebuilt axle, I decided to purchase a new OEM outer front CV joint kit (I'm also replacing the inner boot). The new joint appears to have been pre-loaded with grease but there was also a tube of the yellow cv joint grease in the kit with a new boot, boot bands, an axle nut, and circlip. The shop manual specifies the amount of grease to pack into the joint, but this pre-loaded joint seems to have a lot in it already. Do I also add the extra grease in the tube that came in the kit? I assume that too much grease in the joint/boot is not good?

The kit was purchased from a Honda dealer, the part number for the outer CV joint kit is 44014-S10-A52.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Could this extra grease be for the other joint? I think I read each joint takes a different type of grease.

·
Registered
291 Posts
This is the OEM set and not the universal aftermarket parts.

I guess, the "extra" grease is for the boot, not for the joint.

I would use it that way.

Better answer you can find in the service manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to everyone who replied. I also purchased an inner CV joint boot kit and it came with it's own tube of grease so I don't think the tube that came in the outer kit is for that. The shop manual just indicates the amount of grease to pack into the outer joint (130 - 140 grams) but doesn't say anything about a new joint coming pre-packed with grease. I'm going with the suggestion of "yst" and assume that since the extra tube of grease came in the kit with the new outer joint that it should go into the boot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have just purchased an inner CV joint from a Honda dealer and that has no grease in it at all nor does it have any grease with it. Also disappointed that it didn't come with a boot! After all, who replaces a joint without a boot? If you go to the trouble of removing a drive-shaft you'd be mad not to change the boot which is sort of consumable anyway??
Just my opinion of course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts