Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone with a 2012 or 2013 CRV replaced their factory headlights with an effective aftermarket solution? The stock headlights are awful. I have tried brighter halogen bulbs which are still not bright enough, and an LED conversion kit which are too bright because of the reflector lens. Any recommendations woudl be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Clean your headlights and use the good bulbs. Probably need to check their alignment as well.

Also dim down your internal lighting. People run their dash lights at full brightness and then think they have a headlight problem. The problem is dash lights are too bright messing with your night vision. I changed my dash to red led bulbs (still analog style dash for mine) and keep it down low enough that once my eyes adjust to the darkness, I can clearly see the gauges still but not ruin my ability to see well outside.

Biggest issue is that car manufacturers still use a lot of blue in their dash lighting systems. A light color very well documented to strain the eyes and reduce ability to see in the dark. Its why most LED light bulbs are soo bright its painful. Too much blue light.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,011 Posts
Also dim down your internal lighting. People run their dash lights at full brightness and then think they have a headlight problem. The problem is dash lights are too bright messing with your night vision.
This is excellent advise!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone with a 2012 or 2013 CRV replaced their factory headlights with an effective aftermarket solution? The stock headlights are awful. I have tried brighter halogen bulbs which are still not bright enough, and an LED conversion kit which are too bright because of the reflector lens. Any recommendations woudl be greatly appreciated!
go with HIDs if you have the 2013 crv with projector headlights
Automotive lighting Headlamp Light Vehicle Auto part

·
Registered
44 Posts
Or, you could retrofit the morimoto bi xenon (or similar, like evoxr I think it's the name) that uses d2s hid bulbs to your headlight and those will even be brighter than the one I showed in my pictures, because those projectors are made especially for hids, mines are made for regular halogen bulbs so the light output from the hid isn't the best I can get from my current hid kit.

I would have better illumination if I used the procedure I just mentioned.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
That generation of V has received many complaints of poor headlamp coverage.

It is one of the few CR-Vs that I would suggest installing and using fog lamps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That generation of V has received many complaints of poor headlamp coverage.

It is one of the few CR-Vs that I would suggest installing and using fog lamps.
the 4th generation CR-V?

It kind of sucked for me, now that I have HID it is alright I guess.

I hope the 5th generation is much better.. If I had one, I would definitely put these same HIDs on it tho.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, 4th gen headlights got a lot of complaints (at least, the earlier ones did)
Yeah I heard, but never knew if most were complaining about the reflectors version or the projectors one as the ones I got stock.

It kinda sucked either way to be honest, I was not happy with the light output from the projectors with halogen bulbs and now with hid it's just ok, I've seen better projectors oem than these and my hids are probably hindered in performance.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
They don't last near as long and the wiring harness in the CRVs doesn't like them much either. Too small of wire. People have had issues with plugs failing and such.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts