Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. Just came home with my new to me 2014 CR-V EXL. I traded in a 2006 Subaru Forester LL Bean edition with 140,000 miles on it. I did love my Subaru and would have kept it but we need a car that we can tow behind a motorhome and from all that we have read a CRV is the best.
I'm sure that we will have a lot more questions for this forum and I appreciate having it available.
We got only one key from the dealer and I plan on ordering one or possibly two more for spares. The key that we got has three buttons, lock, unlock and a light hold button. Can I get replacement keys with a tailgate open function or is that something that had to be ordered when the car was bought originally?
Thanks in advance for any help.
David

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Aspects of Honda keys...

New member here. Just came home with my new to me 2014 CR-V EXL. I traded in a 2006 Subaru Forester LL Bean edition with 140,000 miles on it. I did love my Subaru and would have kept it but we need a car that we can tow behind a motorhome and from all that we have read a CRV is the best.
I'm sure that we will have a lot more questions for this forum and I appreciate having it available.
We got only one key from the dealer and I plan on ordering one or possibly two more for spares. The key that we got has three buttons, lock, unlock and a light hold button. Can I get replacement keys with a tailgate open function or is that something that had to be ordered when the car was bought originally?
Thanks in advance for any help.
David
Honda keys are not "programmed" in the general sense. The car is "programmed" to the keys. The Honda HDS,(Honda Data System) will wipe the key memory in the vehicle clean first so ALL keys to be used MUST be programmed at the same time. Typically Honda dealers will program any number of keys for one low price of around $100. If your dealer wants more, go somewhere else. '07's vehicle key memory allowed up to 6 keys. '10 only 5. Check with a dealer before you buy more than 5 blanks. It does not matter whether the keys are black push-button or gray Valle types. For '07 to'10 blank button keys are around $45 and Valle around $15.

So, decide how many of what type you want and get them all programmed into the vehicle at the same time.

Step 1 is to check with the Parts guy at a Dealer first to verify if any of the above applies to a '14. Whatever you do, do them all at the same time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't gone to the dealer yet. I'm trying to decide if I should buy keys on line and have the dealer cut and program them or just let the dealer do it all. Ideas?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Ideas? Yes, here's what I did.

I haven't gone to the dealer yet. I'm trying to decide if I should buy keys on line and have the dealer cut and program them or just let the dealer do it all. Ideas?
Check prices online, go to dealer PARTS GUY. The Parts Guy can and probably will discount the key blanks, the Service Writer probably will not. Ask the Parts Guy if he will match online prices, or close enough, and let them do it all. If he will not discount them very much it may still be better to get them what with shipping and the wait. And if the keys bought online are defective you are stuck.

AND, the price from the Parts Guy will include cutting them. I haven't a clue what he will charge to cut keys you bought somewhere else?

The Parts GUY will cut the keys to fit the locks, then give them to the shop for programming. My dealer offered to sell them for about the same as online saving shipping charges. The whole process took around 45 minutes. It might be quicker if you make an appointment?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I finally got to go to the Honda dealer today. I went to the parts department and explained that I wanted to get two keys made so I could have one for each driver and a spare. He sent me to the service writer who quoted me $300.00 to have two keys made and programmed. I thanked him and left. Any recommendations on how to get it done on line if possible? There has to be a way to get it done for less than $300.00.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Oh! Dear. Sorry to hear that.

So I finally got to go to the Honda dealer today. I went to the parts department and explained that I wanted to get two keys made so I could have one for each driver and a spare. He sent me to the service writer who quoted me $300.00 to have two keys made and programmed. I thanked him and left. Any recommendations on how to get it done on line if possible? There has to be a way to get it done for less than $300.00.
$300 is totally outrageous! Around Baltimore, MD, USA going rate to program any number of keys is $95! Even at retail price for both new keys with buttons would only by $41 each or $82 + $95 should be only $175.

Retail prices for Honda keys, with buttons $41, typical price with discount is $29; for Valet key with no buttons, $21 with discount $15.

Call around to other Honda dealers convenient to you and ask for prices.

Which Honda dealer has tried to rip you off so badly?

And a caution about towing, be CERTAIN to follow instructions in owners manual about the transmission when towing. If not followed it WILL be damaged terribly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer is the obviously misnamed Economy Honda of Chattanooga, TN. I will be looking for alternatives. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The saga continues. We got the CR-V all outfitted to tow and we are leaving tomorrow for a short trip to Dollywood. I really needed a spare key. I had ordered two blank keys from Replacemyremote.com and they look exactly like the original. I called Honda of Cleveland (TN) and they said that they could cut and program the keys for $45 each to cut and $70 to program. A little high but I didn't want to go with only one key.

Arrived at the dealership and gave the person from service the two keys and sat in the waiting room. He came in about 10 minutes later and told me that they couldn't cut the keys because they were too hard and it would damage their equipment. He said they were look-alike keys, not original Honda. They had only one blank in the parts department so I told him to go ahead and cut and program it for me.

The blank key cost was $69.95, labor was $73.88 and SHOP SUPPLIES was $14.38. With tax the grand total was $173.65.

I thought their story about the blanks being too hard was kind of hard to believe but I have no way of checking that. I did check with a magnet and none of the keys are attracted to it so they are not steel.

As a side note, I had to make a trip to St. Petersburg, FL for a family emergency and averaged 33.4 MPG for the trip. I love my CR-V.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The price for a programmed Honda key is phucked up.
The price for any Honda key is phucked up.

Since we drive their cars--they should be better on key prices.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ok this process is definitely to difficult and Honda should do something about it. My wife and daughter each lost a master key for our 2104 cr-v. All I had left was the valet key. I called around and got crazy prices. I even got different prices from the dealer I eventually bought them from. I live in the northeast so cost is a little higher than other parts of the country. I paid $57 for each master key(buttons on it). The valet keys were $28, however I did not buy any valet keys. There was a one time programming charge of $60 to program all 3 keys. I bought 3 master keys for a total of $240 OTD. The dealer I bought the car from wanted $425 for the 3 keys(I'm not joking). You want to start off in the parts dept if you can and ask for a quote . You might as well buy a few keys because the programming charge is the same for 1 or multiple keys. For my car I was forced to go to a dealer because the locksmith could not program my car. Honda really needs to address this issue.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

Go to your salesman and tell him they only gave you one key

·
Registered
693 Posts
Bought my key on eBay and had the dealership cut it for 20 bucks told them it was a spare key for when I get locked out. When online and bought a Honda hds programming tool for 100 bucks. Best investment ever since all my car are Honda. I can do diagnosis one the engine, abs system, and body electrical

1 - 14 of 14 Posts