Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing a Catalytic Converter for my Dad in his 140K Mile CR-V. I see part s available for the rear gasket, but not the front as it seems to be available from the dealer only for $38 - Is this front gasket necessary to replace? I know on a lot of cars there is a swivel joint here and spring clamps etc and the gaskets don't have to be replaced.
The Cat's being replaced with a DEC and being done per the dealer diagnosis from a check engine code. He just wants it replaced as the dealer was over $1000 for this repair.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ideal World = replace the gasket, the old one will have a wear pattern in it from the old convertor moving around - it is a flex joint like you noted.

Real World = It's your call. Is your time worth more than $38.00 if you have to take it back apart because it leaks or makes noise?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found it at a dealer for $28 locally and I need it for the weekend.
Thanks for the info. I know it's supposed to be $23 but the dealers all mark it up around here. I was able to get stuff marked "down" to retail at my regular dealer, but they didn't have it in stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ideal World = replace the gasket, the old one will have a wear pattern in it from the old convertor moving around - it is a flex joint like you noted.

Real World = It's your call. Is your time worth more than $38.00 if you have to take it back apart because it leaks or makes noise?
I hear ya and will replace it - I just did the odyssey timing belt job this past month and replaced every pulley, belt and the water pump for that very reason. Some stuff was borderline, but it is worth the peace of mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts