Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Honda CRV with 225k miles that we use and love. We are the original owners and do not have much extra money laying around to get these fixed at a shop. We had a cooling system diagnostic done and were told that the Fan Switch, Radiator Fan, & AC Fan all need to be replaced. I plan on doing this myself and have a full day set aside to do so.

My questions are:

Where is the fan switch located?
How hard is it to replace the thermostat while I am at it?

Replacing the fans seems straight forward enough with Youtube videos providing alot of guidance.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
What are your symptoms? Both fans not working at all? CRV overheating? AC not blowing cold air? etc.

You should be able to find youtube vids on how to do that. Overall, not much of a problem.
Here is one vid from youtube and others on the rt hand side may answer all your questions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5FZx-pSyhE and another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5NIkmy9gNA

Also look on youtube on how to test those fans and switches BEFORE buying new ones.

On some CRV's the radiator fan switch is on the bottom of the radiator near the center and towards the engine,and on others it is on the thermostat housing.
I think yours is on the radiator bottom--google for it. Sometimes looking it up on autozone.com will show the part, the location and how to change it.
If you do it yourself, you might as well change the thermostat and the two main radiator hoses and new coolant.
Check out the links below this post and under the Similar Threads header. Sometimes the search function in this forum works pretty well also.
Buffalo4
PS: Long holiday weekend so many don't post during weekends and holidays. Aftermarket fans are a LOT cheaper than Honda OEM ones.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'm with buffalo, don't do the fans unless actually needed. If you need the temperature switch, change that and relay first. See if fans work. If not then CONSIDER replacing. But also need to make sure your getting power and ground to the fans when they are supposed to turn on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm also with the other two - Disconnect your fans and apply 12v directly to them to see if they are running. If they run swap relays in the fuse box to see if the problem moves. If it moves you need a new relay, if not start with a temperature switch.
The temperature switch is also not that hard to replace. Just remove the splash shield from the bottom of the car to gain access to the coolant drain and the switch.
If you are going to tackle the thermostat the radiator needs to come out. Not a difficult job. Just make sure you have something to clamp the transmission cooler lines so that the tranny fluid does not go everywhere. Also if you are going this route, just wait until you have the rad out before changing the temperature switch. You need to remove the plastic rad cover from the top (push rivets and 10mm bolts, the top and bottom coolant hoses, pressure and return lines for the transmission (bottom of rad) then there are three power connections. One for the AC compressor it is on the bottom of the rad toward the passenger side, then your two fan connections. Then the two brackets on either side, 10mm bolts. Remove the brackets and you should be able to remove the entire assembly. It is helpful to loosen the AC condenser from its brackets as well. Gives a little more wiggle room. Once it is out you will be able to see the thermostat housing. Three 10mm bolts hold it in. None of this is hard if you can turn a wrench. Just take your time and don't force anything :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts