Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Last weekend we took our 2009 CR-V in for the Airbag/Door Actuator recalls and some noise the car was making when turning and such.
She brought the paperwork home and I was looking through it and found a comment listed here by the tech but was never mentioned to either of us by phone or in person.

They replaced flushed the power steering fluid and seems the noise is gone but found these notes in the invoice:
Rear Struts and Power steering rack leaking and needs to be replaced.

Considering the the mileage (175K) probably should replace replace rather than rebuilding?
I don't know how long the rack has been leaking but going to double check the boots and tie rods to make sure damage, cracks or anything like that. Should they be replaced anyway?

Do any of you have any recommendation on specific brands to purchase and/or recommended places/sites to purchase (Here in North Houston)?

Thanks
Urlryn

·
Super Moderator
3,193 Posts
Just have a bottle of honda power steering fluid in the garage and top it off as necessary.
Struts: any sign of leakage?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah! Gotta pick some up from Honda.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to physically look myself. Only going by the report given to me by the dealership at this point.
I won't get to look until Saturday but would like to have the parts in hand already so that way i can get them replaced before Monday.

Thanks
Urlryn

·
Everything in Moderation
7,623 Posts
I agree with rocky.

Monitor the fluid in the Power Steering reservoir. Add as required with Honda PS fluid.

Look up, in the wheel wells yourself. If the strut looks 'wet' and you sense a decease in control, you might need to do something. But, a dark area that doesn't glisten with fluid is not an issue.

Remember, these many techs are encouraged to 'drum up' extra repair business. I've had them tell me I needed new wiper blades when I replaced them myself three weeks prior! Also had a dealer tech suggest a diff fluid change was needed when it wasn't. (There was no evidence that he even touched the drain or fill bolts)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like solid advice....I'll keep tabs on it and go from there!

Much Appreciated!
Urlryn

·
Registered
46 Posts
Usually what happens with leaking racks, seals on the ends go bad and start leaking into the tire rod boots. There's no replacing seals. Rack has to be replaced. Usually they come with inner tire rods and inner boots and outter tie rods get transferred over.

Now from a tech stand of view. A lot of the times when we recommend things, we rely on info from previous service history or from our advisors. Things that can easily be see like tires or brake pads are a no brained. Other things like fluid services looks rear diff or trans are harder to tell. When I recommend things I am using hondas recommended service intervals per owners manual or maint reminder codes. Things don't always get relayed from customer to advisor, advisor to tech.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts