Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I suppose by now, most folks on here that have been unhappy with the OEM sound system have done some replacements?

A bunch of months ago, I bought some Morel component speakers to replace the front speakers. I’m just getting around to installing them.

To start out, I thought I would just do a swap of the tweeters, to get things rolling. I just basically put in the new tweeters in place of the old.

Of course, the Morel components come with lower door drivers and a crossover, which I have not installed, as of yet.

So… Here’s where this minor project is right now… With just the tweeters replaced… It sounds like cats scratching on chalkboards. It sounds awful. The high end has way too much mid range output, whereas, I was hoping that the tweeters would just deliver the very highest frequencies.

Before I go any further, here is the main questions… The crossover for this component system only has Inputs for positive and negative coming from the amp. This system has both tweeters and woofers. What do we do for the inputs on the crossover, also considering that the head unit will also have its own internal crossover protocol? Will I simply connect the positives and negatives from both the tweeters and the woofers together to feed the single channel input on the new Morel crossover? Am I making any sense? :)

Has anyone here done this kind of installation and could give some feedback as to what to expect moving forward?

I think the unbalanced sound coming from the tweeters is likely a result of the head unit having its own crossover mechanism, and it is probably set in a manner that is not beneficial to these particular tweeters.

Thoughts and ideas?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
1999 Honda CR-V 5 speed
53 Posts
Here is the bad news. The Factory systems take out the low end and the high end. Then boost the mid range to save the crap speakers that come with new cars. This goes for all factory systems no matter how high end they try to make them seem to be. After you install the Morels it might sound better but no where as good as it should. It sounds like the factory tweeters are not crossed over at all. You could damage the Morels is that is the case. As for the crossover that came with the Morels. It will have a positive and negative input. Then an output to the woofer and a output to the Tweeter. I have never installed Morels but Focal crossovers have two outputs to the.tweeter. One will give you a brighter sound. They should be that simple. I hope this helped.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Not sure what you expect to get in the way of detailed help on this when you have not told us what year or trim level and which audio system you have. If you go to your Account Settings, you will find a place to add your car's details. Do that ,and then save it. After that, they will be forever visible in your Avatar, as you can see them in mine. And/or you can also add details in your Signature, again like mine. This is how you'll help us help you.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the responses.

I have a 2018 EX.

I think I may have been confusing in my post. The head unit has tweeter and woofer wires coming off of it (4 wires total). The Morel crossover has input for only two wires, positive and negative.

I am wondering if I would combine the four wires onto the two Morel crossover inputs. Is that making more sense?

🙂🙃

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got off the phone a while ago with Sweetwater… They recommended to use the tweeter main as the input on the crossover, and leave the OEM woofer wire going directly to the new woofer.
I have had about a half an hour of listening to it since I reconfigured it, and it’s a night and day difference.

With that in mind, I would highly recommend for anyone dissatisfied with the clarity of the system to replace the stock speakers… Duh. Huge difference.

so… Now I have to wonder… What will I do with the woofer wires? Should I do exactly as Sweetwater says, and just run the OEM woofer wire directly to the new woofer, or, given the difference that I found with using the crossover for the tweeter, I wonder, if I should just take a wire from the crossover and run it to the new woofer, however, that would leave the OEM woofer wire without a load, and I know that can be problematic in other areas of audio amplification.

lastly… What are you guys doing with small crossover boxes inside the door panel? I don’t have a ton of room, but I was thinking of using Velcro to Tape it to the wall somewhere. Is there a preferred location?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts