Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DISCLAIMER: Alas the fine print, except it is not fine because I want you to actually read it. Use these instructions at your own risk! Read through the instructions to the end before starting any work. If there is any area that you do not understand or feel is beyond your competence, do not perform this work. You assume all responsibility for the proper and safe maintenance of your vehicle.

APPLICABILITY: The specific information in this procedure is applicable only to the 2007 US model CRV with a 2.4 liter gasoline engine.

The owner's manual recommends changing the pollen filter at 15,000 miles. It is easy to do.

Supplies Required: New Pollen Filter Element (Available At H&A)

Tool Required: Flashlight

Time Required: 5 to 10 minutes

Procedure:

Step 1. Shut off the engine and remove the key from the ignition. Remove all items from the lower glove compartment. See Photo 1.

Step 2. With the lower glove compartment open, disengage the hooked link on the right side from the compartment door, by pushing in the direction of the green arrow. See Photo 2.

Step 3. With both hands, push inward (red arrow) on both sides of the compartment walls near top rear corner to allow the stops (green arrow) to slip past the dash board bulkhead. Allow the the compartment to drop down toward the floor. Photo 3.

Photo 4. Shows the filter housing still installed. Note the air flow (red arrow) is down. Note the release tabs on both sides (magenta arrows).

Step 4. Push the release tabs (magenta arrows photos 4 & 5) on both sides inward and pull the filter housing toward you.

Step 5. Remove the old filter element. Wipe out the inside of the plastic filter frame.

Caution! There is a blower in there somewhere, keep your hands out of the ductwork.

Step 6. Insert the new filter element with the air flow arrows facing the same way as the flow air on the filter housing (photo 7 below). Ensure that the paper frame is captured in the retaining slots (red arrows photo 6) at the front and rear of the filter housing on the bottom edge.

Step 7. Reinstallation: With the flow arrow pointing down, slide the filter housing back into the open slot until it snaps into place gently. Tug on it without depressing the release tabs to make sure it that it is firmly seated.

Step 8. Start the engine, place A/C blower in the highest position. Feel around the filter housing to make sure there are no air leaks. Shut off the engine again.

Step 9. With both hands, push inward on the sides of the glove compartment (red arrows photo 3) to allow the stops (green arrow photo 3) to slip behind the dash board bulkhead, return the compartment to the normal open position.

Step 10. Reconnect the link on the right side of the glove compartment. Photo 2.

Step 11. Replace all stored items to the compartment.

EDIT: Hmmm! Forgot a step!

Step 12. Record the date and mileage that the filter was changed and keep the receipt in your service records for warranty purposes. Your done!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More Photos

More Photos For The Filter Change.

Photo 7: Make sure the filter element flow arrow points in the same direction as flow arrow on the filter frame.
Photo 8: Reinstallation of the filter frame.
Photo 9: The frame is half installed, note that the flow arrow points down.
Photo 10: Stuff reinstalled in glove compartment...the job is done!
Photo 11: 15900 miles of filth that ain't in my lungs.
Photo 12: New filter before installation.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Black Pearl, did you buy the appropriate CRV filter or did you investigate using the 03-08 Accord filter? With the latter you save about $12 and there is no altering needed. FYI.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
841 Posts
Very well done "Black Pearl". :) Very straight forward and well photo-documented. IMHO, we need more of these "How To" stickies in the forum.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,069 Posts
Very well done "Black Pearl". :) Very straight forward and well photo-documented. IMHO, we need more of these "How To" stickies in the forum.
I just wanna know:

You gonna eat ALL those chips?

(I'm hungry) ;)

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry Guys!

There not chips. Halls Suger Free Mentholyptus cough drops. Great for if you get dry mouth while on the road.

Thanks all for the kind comments.

·
Registered
128 Posts
DIY saves

Great post BP! I giggle at how dealers Advertise their "specials" to change pollen/air filters , instead of 110 bucks, they have a special of 89 bucks!:eek: when chagning it yourself can be easily done as you have shown!

But I know not all can be DIYers.....:) Great post!

·
Registered
18 Posts
easy job, and two thumbs down to rip off dealers charging $50 labor for a job that takes two minutes.... once you figure out how to do it the 1st time.

I wont let the dealership do anything to my cr-v, except an oil change, and only because they do that cheaper than anybody else, when you buy 10 in advance ( about $15 each).

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
easy job, and two thumbs down to rip off dealers charging $50 labor for a job that takes two minutes.... once you figure out how to do it the 1st time.

I wont let the dealership do anything to my cr-v, except an oil change, and only because they do that cheaper than anybody else, when you buy 10 in advance ( about $15 each)

While that may sound like a good deal what happens if the dealership goes out of business. I had that happen with a GM dealership selling the same type of service to us and they closed shop 4 months later...with no refunds ever!

·
Registered
622 Posts
The Oshawa GM truck plant has been there for a long time and they are closing it.Now days you never know.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pollen fitler H & A ?

Probably a question i will feel stupid asking but who is H & A that they say the filter is available through? thanks Is it available through any good aut parts store?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
H&A For Pollen Filters

You can get the pollen filter at your dealer or at H&A or any of the other on-line Honda parts outlets. H&A is an on-line Honda parts dealer in California that offers parts and accessories at discount. They sponsor our site. I have bought from them numerous times and they have excellent service. Of course you do have to pay shipping.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvmaint07.html

I doubt that you can get the pollen filter at a normal autoparts, but I have not tried.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I doubt that you can get the pollen filter at a normal autoparts, but I have not tried.

Beck Arnley 042-2023
Got mine at local auto shop. They give me mechanics prices(supposedly), cost me about $15.The only problem I had was getting the ends of the filter in, Once I turned the bracket & filter over I could see the problem. I waited 18 months to change the filter, it was DIRTY.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i followed these instructions and saved myself some dollars.

I had a B12 service minder come up, but I only got the Oil Change done from the dealership and did the Engine Air Filter and Cabin Air Filter changed myself. I still have to rotate the tires. I have two questions

1) is the procedure for tire rotation XX or || ?
2) i plan on rotating tires myself (in my farm house), how do I prove to Honda that I actually DID rotate the tires?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts