Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Earth Dreams Direct Injection Engine was designed to achieve maximum fuel economy with the least amount of wasted energy and accomplishes this with improved efficiency over the previous generation of powertrains. What this means to you, as a customer, is optimizing fuel delivery and maximum fuel economy across various operating conditions. With minimal wasted heat, your engine may develop condensation and excess fuel vapors from combustion if not driven in a manner that allows the engine to fully reach operating temperature, which would normally burn off these contaminants. Short drive cycles in colder climates greatly contribute to these factors and may take a longer drive cycle than what you have been previously accustomed to.

In order to minimize these characteristics, we suggest limiting extended idle periods, such as multiple remote starts, utilizing a block heater, and driving the vehicle in sport mode or a lower gear selection to allow the engine to warm up quicker. Even the occasional longer trip with higher engine revolutions will help to evaporate and eliminate these contaminants. Rest assured that your vehicle is operating as designed, and these excess contaminants are a by-product of the combustion process and normal within a combustion engine, and they do not exhibit long term durability concerns. Please ensure you check your oil level as per the Owner’s Manual, and if you have any concerns contact your local Honda dealership.

to me this means they are not even working on a solution ...just my opinion

·
Registered
888 Posts
I bet you are right.

If a product is sensitive to climate, Honda needed to alter the design and test it to ensure optimal performance. It doesn't appear Honda did any of that and now is trying to jawbone the problem away until the warranty period elapses. The other point is this problem isn't just cold climate related. It seems to be a rush to a trendy design without due diligence.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
They're saying Honda is smarter than you. Your driving habits do not meet their design requirements. YOU must change them! :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
They didn't even address the cabin heat problem that many are facing.... WOW

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,227 Posts
The Earth Dreams Direct Injection Engine was designed to achieve maximum fuel economy with the least amount of wasted energy and accomplishes this with improved efficiency over the previous generation of powertrains. What this means to you, as a customer, is optimizing fuel delivery and maximum fuel economy across various operating conditions. With minimal wasted heat, your engine may develop condensation and excess fuel vapors from combustion if not driven in a manner that allows the engine to fully reach operating temperature, which would normally burn off these contaminants. Short drive cycles in colder climates greatly contribute to these factors and may take a longer drive cycle than what you have been previously accustomed to.

In order to minimize these characteristics, we suggest limiting extended idle periods, such as multiple remote starts, utilizing a block heater, and driving the vehicle in sport mode or a lower gear selection to allow the engine to warm up quicker. Even the occasional longer trip with higher engine revolutions will help to evaporate and eliminate these contaminants. Rest assured that your vehicle is operating as designed, and these excess contaminants are a by-product of the combustion process and normal within a combustion engine, and they do not exhibit long term durability concerns. Please ensure you check your oil level as per the Owner’s Manual, and if you have any concerns contact your local Honda dealership.

What is the source of this info?

·
Registered
2017 LX-AWD
72 Posts
What's the point of designing a super efficient engine if the only way to operate it is to floor it in sport mode and drive around uselessly until it warms up and therefore waste gas?!?

Nonsense. I see it as an insult to all their clients intelligence.

·
Registered
533 Posts
They didn't even address the cabin heat problem that many are facing.... WOW

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
and I just got this one from HONDA CANADA when I asked if they did any testing in the cold climate,,,So it seems that they see nothing wrong with the heating system either......so no fix coming

In response to your message regarding the heating in your vehicle, we wish to share with you the following information.

The Earth Dreams Direct Injection Engine was designed to achieve maximum fuel economy with the least amount of wasted energy and accomplishes this with improved efficiency over the previous generation of powertrains. What this means to you, as a customer, is optimizing fuel delivery and maximum fuel economy across various operating conditions. With minimal wasted heat, your engine will take longer to fully reach operating temperature, which may feel like there is a lack of heat. Colder climates and various heater settings contribute to this experience.

To minimize these effects, we suggest limiting extended idle periods, such as multiple remote starts, utilizing a block heater, and driving the vehicle in sport mode or a lower gear selection to allow the engine to warm up quicker. During cold days utilize heater recirculation mode when possible, and limiting the heater fan speed to the setting 3 or 4 will allow the air flow a longer period of time through the heater core which will conduct the heat to the air stream. Opt for heat distribution mode to defrost and/or floor mode and avoid direct vent to face area. Even better, if your vehicle has an auto setting, utilize it for maximum heat distribution. Rest assured that your vehicle is operating as it was designed.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
What is the source of this info?
That is what i would like to know? We know that they already worked on and finished a solution involving software changes. This was officially stated by Honda. Now everyone is making statements based on a forum post without a source. Was this transcribed from a dealers letter or just a personal statement or is it something from Honda's official HQ. Only if it is from Honda HQ would I take it seriously. Many dealers do not even seem to know about a problem.

If this statement is true that means that Honda no longer plans on selling the CR-V or Civic in China. I highly doubt that is the case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.