Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reprise - How many still experience or have experienced the "whine" or "whistle"

I purchased a used 2013 EXL AWD on Monday with only 50K on it. I had test driven many crvs before purchasing this one and felt they all had noisy/whiney tranmissions to some extent. This one was much quieter. What I did not hear/appreciate during the test drive though is the whistle/whine that is described by many of the posts here that generally starts somewhere between 40-60 mph and tends to either go away or become inaudible by the time you get to highway speed. After driving the car a couple times I am afraid I will never again not hear this sound. To be specific, it sounds midway between a whine and a whistle and sounds as if it is coming directly below the driver. My sound is very much well described in the mega thread that is on this forum with some 14 pages of posts describing it. I know some call it a whine, some a whistle. To be honest, i believe it could be described as either. It doesn't bother the wife. It bothers the hell out of me. I've never bought a car with financing. Only bought old cars with cash, favorites being mercedes diesels, aka tanks. So I am somewhat dismayed to finally pony up for a modern vehicle and to find my old 25 year old mercedes is the quieter ride.

My suggestion is: given the number of posts describing this issue, and given that most of them were posted early in the owner's tenure with the vehicle, can we have a reprisal or summary of the issue by those experiencing it?

Something along the lines of: do you experience the whine/whistle? Under what conditions? Has it gotten better or worse over time OR if you are one of the few to have found a solution, what did it? How did you fix it?

I am a new member but am blown away by the community already so thanks in advance to all who contribute to easing my mind on this, whether by misery loves company or perhaps some simple solution not yet discussed.

-Ryan

·
Registered
516 Posts
I purchased a used 2013 EXL AWD on Monday with only 50K on it. I had test driven many crvs before purchasing this one and felt they all had noisy/whiney tranmissions to some extent. This one was much quieter. What I did not hear/appreciate during the test drive though is the whistle/whine that is described by many of the posts here that generally starts somewhere between 40-60 mph and tends to either go away or become inaudible by the time you get to highway speed. After driving the car a couple times I am afraid I will never again not hear this sound. To be specific, it sounds midway between a whine and a whistle and sounds as if it is coming directly below the driver. My sound is very much well described in the mega thread that is on this forum with some 14 pages of posts describing it. I know some call it a whine, some a whistle. To be honest, i believe it could be described as either. It doesn't bother the wife. It bothers the hell out of me. I've never bought a car with financing. Only bought old cars with cash, favorites being mercedes diesels, aka tanks. So I am somewhat dismayed to finally pony up for a modern vehicle and to find my old 25 year old mercedes is the quieter ride.

My suggestion is: given the number of posts describing this issue, and given that most of them were posted early in the owner's tenure with the vehicle, can we have a reprisal or summary of the issue by those experiencing it?

Something along the lines of: do you experience the whine/whistle? Under what conditions? Has it gotten better or worse over time OR if you are one of the few to have found a solution, what did it? How did you fix it?

I am a new member but am blown away by the community already so thanks in advance to all who contribute to easing my mind on this, whether by misery loves company or perhaps some simple solution not yet discussed.

-Ryan
First off, Welcome

I'm a tad confused, does your 2013 CRV have the noise or not? On my 2014 CRV, either my hearing is so shot I don't hear anyhing, or, my Honda is not producing the "whine and a whistle" noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome! yes I can see how you could be confused by my wording. I do have the whine/whistle. It is pretty much the same issue noted in this extensive thread (i cant post links i guess... too new). Not debilitating but annoying enough to put a damper on my new to me car!

Perhaps this is not as common as I assumed? Now i'm thinking if i had just selected a bit more carefully....

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! yes I can see how you could be confused by my wording. I do have the whine/whistle. It is pretty much the same issue noted in this extensive thread (i cant post links i guess... too new). Not debilitating but annoying enough to put a damper on my new to me car!

Perhaps this is not as common as I assumed? Now i'm thinking if i had just selected a bit more carefully....

After a big purchase one always wonder if they should have chosen "bit more carefully"!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts