Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 2011 Honda CRV (SE petrol) is at 55k miles now and recently had an oil change. My dealer is pushing for these following maintenance procedures. Wanted to confirm with the club here if this is really required.

1) Perform coolant fluid exchange.

2) Install BG maintenance kit. (Not sure the details of this).

3) Replace air filter. ( Thinking of doing this myself).

Please let me know if these are required for the general upkeep of the vehicle.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I'd say if you haven't had the coolant changed in the cars life then I would do that. Also, I'd say change the filter yourself. I'm not sure what that maintenance kit is, but I'd say you don't need that.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
BG maintenance kit is from BG Products and from the ads I have heard on the radio and their website, I think it is a snake oil product that follows snake oil salesmen from the past. Remember STP, Mystery Oil and other products that were supposed to allow an engine to last almost forever. I would never fall for the high profit gimmicks that won't help and may harm. Look at their website to see their promises. https://www.bgprod.com/bgams/

·
Registered
330 Posts
I believe the coolant change interval is around 110,000 miles. I know on my 2008 it was done with the plug maintenance. Check your manual but I'm pretty sure that mileage figure is correct. Also, follow the maintenance minder. It will tell you when coolant needs to be changed. Don't let the dealer push service that only helps their bottom line.

BG is not needed. It's a money maker for dealers.

You can do the filter yourself, no big deal. Do the cabin filter while you're at it. That's another big profit center for the dealer. Costs about $12.00 and take less than 2 minutes to change. My biggest challenge is cleaning everything out of the glove compartment before dropping the door. Most dealers will charge $50 - $80 to change the cabin filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most dealers will charge $50 - $80 to change the cabin filter.
I fell for that once before I knew any better. Since then I check on every maintenance item the dealer tries to push. Thanks for the response overall. I might not do the coolant exchange then and wait for the minder to show me something. I hope it does not hurt the engine/radiator for waiting too long.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,151 Posts
Be aware that a coolant change is beneficial based on TIME as well as MILEAGE. (The MM only triggers based on that 110K mileage.)

So, 5 years is in the ballpark.

Normal procedure is to drain & fill the radiator. (EASY) Since this doesn't replace all the coolant (engine block etc), the interval after that is less.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sounds right. If Honda is assuming an average of 15k miles per year I would change the coolant somewhere in the 7th year assuming I was under the 110k mileage.

You can also test the coolant to see how much protection it's affording.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds right. If Honda is assuming an average of 15k miles per year I would change the coolant somewhere in the 7th year assuming I was under the 110k mileage.

You can also test the coolant to see how much protection it's affording.
How would you test the coolant?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine is at 105K and just got a oil and coolant change light. I'm going to push it off till summer though... I need a garage :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
At what mileage do you suggest to change the auto trans fluid? Do you recommend only Honda ATF or another brand? Do you suggest to just pull the plug and add the same amount back in that came out? How much drains out when you pull the plug? Or do you suggest a full transmission fluid flush? Is the transmission filter lifetime or at what mileage do you suggest to replace it? Is it a lifetime timing chain or do you suggest changing it after so many miles? At what mileage do you suggest to replace the fuel filter?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,151 Posts
^^ SOMEBODY needs to learn how to SEARCH. <WINK>

At what mileage do you suggest to change the auto trans fluid?
Drain & Fill every 30K miles. A 3x drain & fill changes almost all of it.

Do you recommend only Honda ATF or another brand?
Honda ATF has specific friction coefficients that are made to work on Honda's wet plate clutches.

Do you suggest to just pull the plug and add the same amount back in that came out? How much drains out when you pull the plug?
You will drain ~3.5 qts each time.

Or do you suggest a full transmission fluid flush?
No.

Is the transmission filter lifetime or at what mileage do you suggest to replace it?
There is no internal filter on Honda automatics. Since the mid-2000s Honda has fitted an external filter but has never published a replacement interval.

Is it a lifetime timing chain or do you suggest changing it after so many miles?
Timing Chains should last several hundred K miles if you change oil regularly. If it stretches due to lack of lubrication, the crank & cam sensors will notice and set a CEL.

At what mileage do you suggest to replace the fuel filter?
If you can find one change it. Newer Vs only have a screen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts